Posted to alt.food.wine

Default Thanksgiving day wines.

we are travelling to Denver for Thanksgiving and we are providing the dinner wines which I shipped ahead yesterday. Our son and his wife live in Denver and their house is being renovated so we are all dining at the home of a law school buddy of his. I decided to stick with American wines this year.2008 Shramsburg Blanc de Noirs to start with, 2006 Peter Michael "Ma Belle Fils" Chardonnay, 2009 Kongsgaard "The Judge" Chardonnay, 2002 Duckhorn "Three Palms Vineyard" Merlot, 2009 Faila "Hirsch" vineyard Pinot Noir and 1998 Dolce for dessert. Notes to follow.
Posted to alt.food.wine

On Tuesday, November 12, 2013 11:39:59 AM UTC-7, Bi!! wrote:
> we are travelling to Denver for Thanksgiving and we are providing the dinner wines which I shipped ahead yesterday. Our son and his wife live in Denver and their house is being renovated so we are all dining at the home of a law school buddy of his. I decided to stick with American wines this year.2008 Shramsburg Blanc de Noirs to start with, 2006 Peter Michael "Ma Belle Fils" Chardonnay, 2009 Kongsgaard "The Judge" Chardonnay, 2002 Duckhorn "Three Palms Vineyard" Merlot, 2009 Faila "Hirsch" vineyard Pinot Noir and 1998 Dolce for dessert. Notes to follow.

Great Selection. I'm going to the wine desert of Arlington, VA. For some reason, hard to find good wines there.
Posted to alt.food.wine

On Tuesday, November 12, 2013 1:39:59 PM UTC-5, Bi!! wrote:
> we are travelling to Denver for Thanksgiving and we are providing the dinner wines which I shipped ahead yesterday. Our son and his wife live in Denver and their house is being renovated so we are all dining at the home of a law school buddy of his. I decided to stick with American wines this year.2008 Shramsburg Blanc de Noirs to start with, 2006 Peter Michael "Ma Belle Fils" Chardonnay, 2009 Kongsgaard "The Judge" Chardonnay, 2002 Duckhorn "Three Palms Vineyard" Merlot, 2009 Faila "Hirsch" vineyard Pinot Noir and 1998 Dolce for dessert. Notes to follow.

The politicians buy up most of the good stuff. Paul Ryan is partial to Grand Cru Burgundy. :-) I did find a couple of stores there a few years ago as I had relatives in McLean and Arlington. Arrowine and Vineyard as I recall.
Posted to alt.food.wine

On Wednesday, November 13, 2013 9:51:49 AM UTC-7, Bi!! wrote:
> On Tuesday, November 12, 2013 1:39:59 PM UTC-5, Bi!! wrote:
>
> > we are travelling to Denver for Thanksgiving and we are providing the dinner wines which I shipped ahead yesterday. Our son and his wife live in Denver and their house is being renovated so we are all dining at the home of a law school buddy of his. I decided to stick with American wines this year.2008 Shramsburg Blanc de Noirs to start with, 2006 Peter Michael "Ma Belle Fils" Chardonnay, 2009 Kongsgaard "The Judge" Chardonnay, 2002 Duckhorn "Three Palms Vineyard" Merlot, 2009 Faila "Hirsch" vineyard Pinot Noir and 1998 Dolce for dessert. Notes to follow.

> The politicians buy up most of the good stuff. Paul Ryan is partial to Grand Cru Burgundy. :-) I did find a couple of stores there a few years ago as I had relatives in McLean and Arlington. Arrowine and Vineyard as I recall.

If Paul Ryan buys it, that would not be a recommendation for me. Arrowine is the only store in the area that has a decent selection. Total Wine isn't too far away but not my favorite store. The really good ones are in Georgetown and that is difficult to get to.
Posted to alt.food.wine

On Wednesday, November 13, 2013 1:28:02 PM UTC-6, lleichtman wrote:
> On Wednesday, November 13, 2013 9:51:49 AM UTC-7, Bi!! wrote:
>
> > On Tuesday, November 12, 2013 1:39:59 PM UTC-5, Bi!! wrote:

> > > we are travelling to Denver for Thanksgiving and we are providing the dinner wines which I shipped ahead yesterday. Our son and his wife live in Denver and their house is being renovated so we are all dining at the home of a law school buddy of his. I decided to stick with American wines this year.2008 Shramsburg Blanc de Noirs to start with, 2006 Peter Michael "Ma Belle Fils" Chardonnay, 2009 Kongsgaard "The Judge" Chardonnay, 2002 Duckhorn "Three Palms Vineyard" Merlot, 2009 Faila "Hirsch" vineyard Pinot Noir and 1998 Dolce for dessert. Notes to follow.

> > The politicians buy up most of the good stuff. Paul Ryan is partial to Grand Cru Burgundy. :-) I did find a couple of stores there a few years ago as I had relatives in McLean and Arlington. Arrowine and Vineyard as I recall.

> If Paul Ryan buys it, that would not be a recommendation for me. Arrowine is the only store in the area that has a decent selection. Total Wine isn't too far away but not my favorite store. The really good ones are in Georgetown and that is difficult to get to.

If near a Metro in Arlington, Schneider's on Capitol Hill is really good. Short walk from Union Station. Not terribly difficult to drive to, depending on time of day, where in Arlington etc. Capitol Hill is much easier to maneuver than Georgetown.

Posted to alt.food.wine

On Thursday, November 14, 2013 10:38:05 AM UTC-5, casey miller wrote:
> On Wednesday, November 13, 2013 1:28:02 PM UTC-6, lleichtman wrote:

> > > The politicians buy up most of the good stuff. Paul Ryan is partial to Grand Cru Burgundy. :-) I did find a couple of stores there a few years ago as I had relatives in McLean and Arlington. Arrowine and Vineyard as I recall.

> > If Paul Ryan buys it, that would not be a recommendation for me. Arrowine is the only store in the area that has a decent selection. Total Wine isn't too far away but not my favorite store. The really good ones are in Georgetown and that is difficult to get to.

> If near a Metro in Arlington, Schneider's on Capitol Hill is really good. Short walk from Union Station. Not terribly difficult to drive to, depending on time of day, where in Arlington etc. Capitol Hill is much easier to maneuver than Georgetown.

Thanks, we're right on the orange line in Ballston.
Posted to alt.food.wine

On Thursday, November 14, 2013 9:42:51 PM UTC-6, lleichtman wrote:
> On Thursday, November 14, 2013 10:38:05 AM UTC-5, casey miller wrote:

> > > If Paul Ryan buys it, that would not be a recommendation for me. Arrowine is the only store in the area that has a decent selection. Total Wine isn't too far away but not my favorite store. The really good ones are in Georgetown and that is difficult to get to.

> > If near a Metro in Arlington, Schneider's on Capitol Hill is really good. Short walk from Union Station. Not terribly difficult to drive to, depending on time of day, where in Arlington etc. Capitol Hill is much easier to maneuver than Georgetown.

> Thanks, we're right on the orange line in Ballston.

Here is a link to their site if you want to check them out before you make the trek:

http://cellar.com/

You will have to transfer to the red line at Metro Center to get to Union Station. I wouldn't think the ride from Ballston would be more than 25-30 minutes.

It would be an easy drive (non rush hour) from Ballston. Cross the river on 66, take Constitution past Capitol and turn left on 3d street. They have parking.

I have no affiliation with them -- don't even live in DC anymore. Always find it worthwhile to visit when there, though
Posted to alt.food.wine

On Friday, November 15, 2013 2:59:56 PM UTC-5, wrote:
> On Thursday, November 14, 2013 9:42:51 PM UTC-6, lleichtman wrote:

> > > If near a Metro in Arlington, Schneider's on Capitol Hill is really good. Short walk from Union Station. Not terribly difficult to drive to, depending on time of day, where in Arlington etc. Capitol Hill is much easier to maneuver than Georgetown.

> > Thanks, we're right on the orange line in Ballston.

> Here is a link to their site if you want to check them out before you make the trek:
>

> http://cellar.com/
>

> You will have to transfer to the red line at Metro Center to get to Union Station. I wouldn't think the ride from Ballston would be more than 25-30 minutes.
>

> It would be an easy drive (non rush hour) from Ballston. Cross the river on 66, take Constitution past Capitol and turn left on 3d street. They have parking.
>

> I have no affiliation with them -- don't even live in DC anymore. Always find it worthwhile to visit when there, though

Thanks, I will check them out though carrying a case on the metro might be tricky.