FoodBanter.com

-   -   TN: Sober At John's- Champagne, BdM, Pomerol, CdP, CA (https://www.foodbanter.com/wine/425545-tn-sober-johns-champagne.html)

DaleW 05-09-2013 09:24 PM

TN: Sober At John's- Champagne, BdM, Pomerol, CdP, CA

John hosted SOBER last night (with his brother handling the cooking). Cathleen and I carpooled up, and were greeted with a glass of the 2004 Laurent-Perrier Brut. Crisp, straighforward, some found simple but I liked. B+

First Blind Champagne
Doughy, full, apple butter and yeast NV Laurent-Perrier Grande Siècle Brut B+/B

Blind Red Flight #1
Dan called Burgundy immediately (thought he thought Volnay). Mark got Gevrey and Craig nailed vintage on #2, but took a while for producer.

#1- much more giving, black cherry and sandalwood, ready and open. 2000 Mugneret-Gibourg Ruchottes-Chambertin. B+

#2 - great nose-herbs and some oak, but lots going on, but tight and tannic on the palate. Quite cranky. I reserved a glass and thought it showed much better later. Others liked less (“pickle juice”)
1998 Mugneret-Gibourg Ruchottes-Chambertin. B- for now, I’d love to try in 10 years.

Blind Red Flight #2
John said he wasn’t sure if #2 was correct, Craig smelled and said “fine if old Cali”- nothing but net, dude.

#1- straightforward, a bit faded, but solid darker fruits and some eucalyptus. 1973 Sterling Cabernet Sauvignon. B

#2 - we knew Cali, but didn’t seem CS (I missed with Petit Sirah guess).
Red fruited, lots of herb, good acids, fun wine. 1975 Ridge Lytton Springs B++

Blind Champagne Flight (with great crabcakes)
Very divided as to faves
#1- this to me exuded elegance, young but complex, focused, firm, lively.
2004 Taittinger Comtes de Champagne. A-

#2- fresh baked biscuit, toasty notes, marzipan, ready to go. 2000 Krug B+

Bonus Blind Champagne
Lemon, elegant, I’m thinking BdB and am shocked when revealed. MV Krug B++

Blind Red Flight #3
#1 Fleshy, plum fruits, tasty but a little clipped.
1985 Poggio Antico Brunello di Montalcino Riserva B
#2 ripe verging pruney, beef broth, herby, a bit short.
1983 Pertimali Brunello di Montalcino B-

Blind Red Flight #4
#1- mocha, black plum, herby, 1988 Certan de May B+
#2 - cocoa, long, elegant, some green aromatics, complex, lovely. I thought L’Evangile in a warm but not hot vintage. What a surprise,
1981 Trotanoy. Great wine. A/A-

Blind Red Flight #5
#1 Corked!
1988 Ch. Fortia Chateauneuf-du-Pape
#2 Good acids, lots of berries, herby. Very good.
1988 Vieux Telegraphe Chateauneuf-du-Pape B+/A-
#3 Replacement for the corked Fortia. A bit fuller than #2, lots of earth and smoke, lingering tannins. 1988 Beaucastel Chateauneuf-du-Pape B+

Great night, thanks John.

Grade disclaimer: I'm a very easy grader, basically A is an excellent wine, B a good wine, C mediocre. Anything below C means I wouldn't drink at a party where it was only choice. Furthermore, I offer no promises of objectivity, accuracy, and certainly not of consistency.