FoodBanter.com

-   -   TN: Champagne, Val d'Aosta, Anderson Valley, Santa Ynez (https://www.foodbanter.com/wine/425437-tn-champagne-val-daosta.html)

DaleW 27-08-2013 07:13 PM

TN: Champagne, Val d'Aosta, Anderson Valley, Santa Ynez

Was supposed to hang with some friends Friday, but host was sick, so I stopped by market for some fish. With swordfish, broccoli,& grilled corn, the 2008 Les Cretes “Cuvee Bois” Chardonnay. I liked this more on a previous try- the oak seemed less integrated with a bit more bottle age. Good acids, full bodied, but despite the acids some buttery notes, and an overlay of vanillla B-

With roast chicken, squash, caprese, & green salad, the 2009 Copain “tous Ensemble” Pinot Noir (Anderson Valley). I found this rather disappointing at first- some interesting red fruit and smoke, but thin and disjointed, I actually switched to leftover rose for the meal. But I liked much better after a couple hours of air (and it showed fine on day 2 as well). Light to medium body but with ample red fruits, mineral, smoke notes. B+/B

On a gorgeous Sunday, I had Ahi steak, green beans with tomatoes, and leftover squash, with the 2012 Stolpman Rose (Santa Ynez) Crisp, fresh, lighter styled, I’d buy again. B/B+

Monday Betsy was finally home for good after a peripatetic summer, she said she would take care of dinner. I was a bit perplexed by the ham and arugula canapes, sushi, and baby bok choy combination (turned out she was teasing me about a dream I had reported- and since forgotten). I opened the NV Paul Clouet Grand Cru Brut Champagne to celebrate her return. Big, toasty, a touch oxidative, this is not really my preferred style of Champagne, sure others would like more. . B-

Grade disclaimer: I'm a very easy grader, basically A is an excellent wine, B a good wine, C mediocre. Anything below C means I wouldn't drink at a party where it was only choice. Furthermore, I offer no promises of objectivity, accuracy, and certainly not of consistency.

Bi!! 27-08-2013 07:42 PM

On Tuesday, August 27, 2013 2:13:46 PM UTC-4, DaleW wrote:
> Was supposed to hang with some friends Friday, but host was sick, so I stopped by market for some fish. With swordfish, broccoli,& grilled corn, the 2008 Les Cretes “Cuvee Bois” Chardonnay. I liked this more on a previous try- the oak seemed less integrated with a bit more bottle age. Good acids, full bodied, but despite the acids some buttery notes, and an overlay of vanillla B-
>

> With roast chicken, squash, caprese, & green salad, the 2009 Copain “tous Ensemble” Pinot Noir (Anderson Valley). I found this rather disappointing at first- some interesting red fruit and smoke, but thin and disjointed, I actually switched to leftover rose for the meal. But I liked much better after a couple hours of air (and it showed fine on day 2 as well). Light to medium body but with ample red fruits, mineral, smoke notes. B+/B
>

> On a gorgeous Sunday, I had Ahi steak, green beans with tomatoes, and leftover squash, with the 2012 Stolpman Rose (Santa Ynez) Crisp, fresh, lighter styled, I’d buy again. B/B+
>

> Monday Betsy was finally home for good after a peripatetic summer, she said she would take care of dinner. I was a bit perplexed by the ham and arugula canapes, sushi, and baby bok choy combination (turned out she was teasing me about a dream I had reported- and since forgotten). I opened the NV Paul Clouet Grand Cru Brut Champagne to celebrate her return. Big, toasty, a touch oxidative, this is not really my preferred style of Champagne, sure others would like more. . B-
>

> Grade disclaimer: I'm a very easy grader, basically A is an excellent wine, B a good wine, C mediocre. Anything below C means I wouldn't drink at a party where it was only choice. Furthermore, I offer no promises of objectivity, accuracy, and certainly not of consistency.

I guess I never really warmed up to Copain wines. I found them often to be thin and disjointed with a bit too much candy apple and cola for my tastes..

Mark Lipton[_1_] 27-08-2013 08:15 PM

On 8/27/13 2:42 PM, Bi!! wrote:

> I guess I never really warmed up to Copain wines. I found them often
> to be thin and disjointed with a bit too much candy apple and cola
> for my tastes.

Interesting, Bill. I have limited experience with them, having only had
the '06 Tous Ensemble PN, but it was lovely.

Mark Lipton

Bi!! 28-08-2013 04:22 PM

On Tuesday, August 27, 2013 3:15:55 PM UTC-4, Mark Lipton wrote:
> On 8/27/13 2:42 PM, Bi!! wrote:
>

> > I guess I never really warmed up to Copain wines. I found them often

> > to be thin and disjointed with a bit too much candy apple and cola

> > for my tastes.

> Interesting, Bill. I have limited experience with them, having only had
>
> the '06 Tous Ensemble PN, but it was lovely.
>

> Mark Lipton
>

> --
>
> alt.food.wine FAQ: http://winefaq.cwdjr.net

I think it's just me. I visited Copain a couple times and have the wine in the cellar although I have no 2006....presesntly I have a few 2009 and 2010's. By comparison I prefer Failla, Roar, Loring, Talbott to the Copain.