Posted to alt.food.wine

Default TN: Beaujolais, Burgundy, and Champagne

For a couple of days I had custody both of my Basset and a neighbor’s Lhasapoo, but managed to make dinner anyway. Friday was ahi tuna steak, squash, & salad, with the
2011 Chermette/Vissoux “Les Garants” Fleurie. Fairly full bodied and fleshy for Fleurie, ripe black cherries with some soil notes. Lasts well over 3 days. B+

Since I didn’t actually eat lobster in Maine, I picked up a couple Saturday as Stew’s had for $3.99/lb. OK, a bit piggish to eat 2, so invited a friend who was also baching it. Nice night on patio with the 2 dogs, and a nice meal of lobster, green beans in a vinaigrette, salad, corn, and 2 basic white Burgundies

2011 Matrot Bourgogne Blanc
Round, pit fruits, some nuts, perfectly pleasant. B/B-

2011 Pernot Bourgogne Blanc
Minerally, taut, white pear, good acids, more interesting. B+

Sunday I walked both dogs, returned the Lhasapoo to his home, then spent day preparing for and running a big picnic for our homeless friends. Betsy got home while I was gone, and we had a “Betsy is home” celebration dinner. A crab/aioli salad, and a bit of Champagne, the NV Ployez- Jacquemart “Marie Weiss” Champagne Brut. Midbodied, nicely balanced, apples and brioche. Not exactly complex, but very good for under $25 Champagne. B

Grade disclaimer: I'm a very easy grader, basically A is an excellent wine, B a good wine, C mediocre. Anything below C means I wouldn't drink at a party where it was only choice. Furthermore, I offer no promises of objectivity, accuracy, and certainly not of consistency.
Posted to alt.food.wine

In message >
DaleW > wrote:

> For a couple of days I had custody both of my Basset and a neighbor’s
> Lhasapoo, but managed to make dinner anyway. Friday was ahi tuna
> steak, squash, & salad, with the
> 2011 Chermette/Vissoux “Les Garants” Fleurie. Fairly full bodied and
> fleshy for Fleurie, ripe black cherries with some soil notes. Lasts
> well over 3 days. B+

> Since I didn’t actually eat lobster in Maine, I picked up a couple
> Saturday as Stew’s had for $3.99/lb. OK, a bit piggish to eat 2, so
> invited a friend who was also baching it. Nice night on patio with the
> 2 dogs, and a nice meal of lobster, green beans in a vinaigrette,
> salad, corn, and 2 basic white Burgundies

> 2011 Matrot Bourgogne Blanc
> Round, pit fruits, some nuts, perfectly pleasant. B/B-

> 2011 Pernot Bourgogne Blanc
> Minerally, taut, white pear, good acids, more interesting. B+

> Sunday I walked both dogs, returned the Lhasapoo to his home, then
> spent day preparing for and running a big picnic for our homeless
> friends. Betsy got home while I was gone, and we had a “Betsy is home”
> celebration dinner. A crab/aioli salad, and a bit of Champagne, the NV
> Ployez- Jacquemart “Marie Weiss” Champagne Brut. Midbodied, nicely
> balanced, apples and brioche. Not exactly complex, but very good for
> under $25 Champagne. B

> Grade disclaimer: I'm a very easy grader, basically A is an excellent
> wine, B a good wine, C mediocre. Anything below C means I wouldn't
> drink at a party where it was only choice. Furthermore, I offer no
> promises of objectivity, accuracy, and certainly not of consistency.

You could at least have cooked a steak or two for the poor dogs =-
anybody would think you had been looking after cats - tuna and
lobster? Though that having been said our Airedale does like lobster,
if he's given the chance. We've just had two Whitby lobsters - not
quite as cheap as yours though, ours were £3.50 per lb. - with a
bottle of Pernand- Vergelesses. I do like August and the lobster glut!

Tim Hartley