Posted to alt.food.wine

Default SWAT Lunch

Interesting lunch with my wine group on Friday. Great food totally off menu prepared at Basi Italia a personal favorite of mine. We had a starter of NV Larmandier Bernier Blanc de Blancs Premier Cru Champagne. Served with finger foods of flatbreads of pear, taleggio, arugula and procuitto, a crostini of a triple cream and parma ham and charred fresh grean and wax beans with garlic and radish. The Champers was good not great, a bit leesy and short.

1st course-Baby shrimp salad over heirloom cherry tomato in basil and parsley aspic. 2009 Marco Felluga Collio Mongris-Frcitrusuity, crisp apple long finish "B+"

2nd course-Saffron Risotto with Maine lobster claw and Granny Smith Apple-1998 Drouhin Meursault-Nice to drink an older white Burg with no premox. A bit mature but beautiful honey and lemon curd notes with a nice soft acid balance. "B-"

3rd-Seared fennel dusted Ahi Tuna with Vin Cotto and chicken liver pate-2004 Chapoutier L'Oree Hermitage Blanc-certainly the pairing of the day. Delicious depth on the wine. Honey,Apple, mineral, hazelnut. "A"

4th-Confit of Rabbit with Gnocchi in a Duck Brodo (oh my) with 1997 Tignanello, 1997 Cassanuova di Neri Brunello, and 1997 Biondi Santi. Well, had to find a loser in this group. The Biondi Santi was smooth and sleek showing a fair amount of woodsy cedar notes. The Cassonuova di Neri was fruity and tannic but powerful and delicious and the Fuligni was off the charts hitting on all cylinders. All were "A-/A" in my book.

5th Lamb Meatball in a sauce of tomato and cherry compote with fresh ricotta, balsamic drizzle and crispy barley. WOW. 2009 Tenuta di Trinoro Rosso and 2004Ucelleria Brunello. Both quite young and primary. The Rosso is French varietals very fresh and fruity with a very smooth atttack and tannin laden finish years to go...(B-) the Ucellaria was just OK, a bit woody and not my favorite although others liked it..."C"

6th Deconstructed NY Strip steak sandwich with Heirloom tomato, Vidalia onion ring, butter lettuce and gorgonzola dressing...1999 and 2002 Masetto. The class of the group. the 2002 had a nose to die for yet still quite priimary on the palate with red and black fruits. The 1999 was incredibly smooth and rich with complexity and depth. Plums and cassis with unmistakable Italian balance. Both ranked and A+

7th- an amuse really of crispy veal brain with white truffle served with 1958 Borgogno Barolo Riserva. The wine was old, but still holding. Dried Cherries and dried leaves on the nose, palate of cedary tea and roses. Good not great. "B"

we had cheese and dessert but I just nibbled as we werre drinking my last bottle of 1999 Isole e Olena Vin Santo given to me a gift from Paolo di Marchese the owner of IeO. Wonderful Vin Santo with orange peel, caramel and honey. "B+"

SWAT Holiday Tasting Bi!! Wine 0 21-12-2012 05:21 PM
Gonna Sweat and Swat Some Bugs While Eating This Memorial Day? BE MYGUEST! John Fartlington Snodnagel General Cooking 1 02-06-2010 05:32 PM
Gonna Sweat and Swat Some Bugs While Eating This Memorial Day? BE MYGUEST! John Fartlington Snodnagel Cooking Equipment 1 02-06-2010 05:32 PM
Gonna Sweat and Swat Some Bugs While Eating This Memorial Day? BE MYGUEST! John Fartlington Snodnagel Beer 1 02-06-2010 05:32 PM
FREE Invasion Day lunch LOL! (Lunch, Tues 26rd Jan) Peter Lucas[_13_] General Cooking 1 27-01-2010 03:25 PM