Posted to alt.food.wine

Default brief TN: Sushi and Champagne

Last night our supposedly Bordeaux group did our annual sushi and Champagne dinner at Mishima. A nice lineup:

Flight 1
2005 Pierre Peters Chetillons
I thought this was great - young but already showing complexity. A-

2004 Bollinger Grand Annee
In comparison to the Peters I thought this slightly ponderous, but a nice fuller styled Champagne,B+/B

Flight 2
NV Marie Courtin Concordance (disgorged 1/13)
Sans soufre. Very fresh, bright, alive, B+/A-

2002 Moet and Chandon Dom Perignon
I loved this last year, but this bottle was a sulphur bomb. Very full underneath, but sulphur dominated. Maybe the comparison to the Courtin made it more apparent, but this still was sulfury an hour later. B-

Flight 3
1996 Dom Ruinart Brut
This was good, but maybe a slight disappointment on my expectations of ‘96 tete de cuvees. Liked more on second pour . B+

1998 Dom Ruinart Brut
Well balanced, nice length. B+

2002 Dom Ruinart Brut
Selfopening bottle, but Jay reacted and saved. Some sulphur, though not like the Dom. Not as appealing as most wines this night, but suspect it will improve. B

Flight 4
1999 Taittinger Comtes des Champagne
Pretty classic showing for a full bodied BdB, balanced and long. A-

1999 Philipponnat Clos des Goisses
Edged the Comtes for my WOTN, long, complete, best Champagne I’ve had this year. A-/A

Nice wines with a fun group

Grade disclaimer: I'm a very easy grader, basically A is an excellent wine, B a good wine, C mediocre. Anything below C means I wouldn't drink at a party where it was only choice. Furthermore, I offer no promises of objectivity, accuracy, and certainly not of consistency.
Posted to alt.food.wine

On Friday, August 9, 2013 12:29:02 PM UTC-4, DaleW wrote:
> Last night our supposedly Bordeaux group did our annual sushi and Champagne dinner at Mishima. A nice lineup:
>

> Flight 1
>
> 2005 Pierre Peters Chetillons
>
> I thought this was great - young but already showing complexity. A-
>

> 2004 Bollinger Grand Annee
>
> In comparison to the Peters I thought this slightly ponderous, but a nice fuller styled Champagne,B+/B
>

> Flight 2
>
> NV Marie Courtin Concordance (disgorged 1/13)
>
> Sans soufre. Very fresh, bright, alive, B+/A-
>

> 2002 Moet and Chandon Dom Perignon
>
> I loved this last year, but this bottle was a sulphur bomb. Very full underneath, but sulphur dominated. Maybe the comparison to the Courtin made it more apparent, but this still was sulfury an hour later. B-
>

> Flight 3
>
> 1996 Dom Ruinart Brut
>
> This was good, but maybe a slight disappointment on my expectations of ‘96 tete de cuvees. Liked more on second pour . B+
>

> 1998 Dom Ruinart Brut
>
> Well balanced, nice length. B+
>

> 2002 Dom Ruinart Brut
>
> Selfopening bottle, but Jay reacted and saved. Some sulphur, though not like the Dom. Not as appealing as most wines this night, but suspect it will improve. B
>

> Flight 4
>
> 1999 Taittinger Comtes des Champagne
>
> Pretty classic showing for a full bodied BdB, balanced and long. A-
>

> 1999 Philipponnat Clos des Goisses
>
> Edged the Comtes for my WOTN, long, complete, best Champagne I’ve had this year. A-/A
>

> Nice wines with a fun group
>

> Grade disclaimer: I'm a very easy grader, basically A is an excellent wine, B a good wine, C mediocre. Anything below C means I wouldn't drink at a party where it was only choice. Furthermore, I offer no promises of objectivity, accuracy, and certainly not of consistency.

Nice notes. Thanks. I am a fan of Pierre Peters...pretty good QPR too.

You're eating sushi all wrong! Tokyo sushi chef teaches proper way toeat sushi Travis McGee General Cooking 86 12-09-2015 02:41 AM
TN: Champagne and Sushi DaleW Wine 0 23-08-2012 03:09 PM
Correct Sushi Manners, or how to behave in a Sushi Restaurant ( Video-Clip ) ChoiManHansi Sushi 8 25-03-2006 01:31 AM
Correct Sushi Manners, or how to behave in a Sushi Restaurant ( Video-Clip ) [email protected] Restaurants 0 21-03-2006 08:53 PM
Champagne with sushi? larkin1734 Wine 3 10-12-2003 07:34 PM