FoodBanter.com

-   -   Best Michigan wineries? (https://www.foodbanter.com/wine/425172-best-michigan-wineries.html)

[email protected] 05-08-2013 09:17 PM

Best Michigan wineries?

Traverse City area, a couple days to visit, which wineries do you recommend? We are dry wine drinkers, love a good pinot or sauvignon blanc. Not interested in sweet fruit wines.

Bill O'Meally[_2_] 07-08-2013 05:01 AM

Best Michigan wineries?

On 2013-08-05 20:17:01 +0000, said:

> Traverse City area, a couple days to visit, which wineries do you
> recommend? We are dry wine drinkers, love a good pinot or sauvignon
> blanc. Not interested in sweet fruit wines.

My wife and I went to Traverse City a couple years ago and enjoyed it
thoroughly. Lovely area! I wish I saved more tasting notes, though I
will say we were pleasantly surprised by the quality of some of the
wines. Even some of the wines that blended cherries with grape were not
bad at all. Granted, there were some true duds, as is true of any
appellation. I think we did Old Mission peninsula the first day, which
was much smaller, then Leelanau over two days. Keep in mind that
Michigan knows cherries. My advice is don't turn your nose up at the
cherry blends, especially the dry ones.

They grow some mighty fine rieslings there as well.

Please share your experiences with this often overlooked region!
--
Bill O'Meally

Mark Lipton[_1_] 07-08-2013 07:32 PM

Best Michigan wineries?

wrote:
> Traverse City area, a couple days to visit, which wineries do you
> recommend? We are dry wine drinkers, love a good pinot or sauvignon
> blanc. Not interested in sweet fruit wines.

In the Traverse area and the Old Mission Peninsula, you'll find Left
Foot Charley and Chateau Grand Traverse, both of which make very fine
wines. Be aware, though, that Riesling is king up there and I wouldn't
be very optimistic about Pinot Noir from there. If you do go to either
of those places, you might ask them where else in the area to visit.
And please let us know of your experiences when/if you do visit those
wineries!

Mark Lipton

rusegirl1 08-08-2013 12:19 AM

Best Michigan wineries?

Will keep on lookout for a dry cherry wine! Hopefully there will be some dry rieslings.