Posted to alt.food.wine

Default A new closure

Today, I came on a new wine to me:

Robert Oakley
Rose of San Giovese
Dry
Mudgee, 2010

It was entirely the pink color that I would expect but difficulties
began when I tried to open it. There we no instructions on the bottle
but the capsule was very heavy duty aluminum, so much so that I was
afraid of cutting myself and used pliers from my workshop to pull off
the lower portion. There was still a complete portion at the top so I
used a corkscrew which went in much too easily and, after using my
pliers again, I discovered that the bottle was sealed by a plastic screw
top.

The wine was very pleasant for a dry Rose and had an aroma reminiscent
of strawberries.

I wish people who use new closures would enclose some instructions!

--
Jim Silverton (Potomac, MD)

Extraneous "not." in Reply To.
Posted to alt.food.wine

On 8/3/2013 7:23 PM, James Silverton wrote:
> Today, I came on a new wine to me:
>
> Robert Oakley
> Rose of San Giovese
> Dry
> Mudgee, 2010
>
> It was entirely the pink color that I would expect but difficulties
> began when I tried to open it. There we no instructions on the bottle
> but the capsule was very heavy duty aluminum, so much so that I was
> afraid of cutting myself and used pliers from my workshop to pull off
> the lower portion. There was still a complete portion at the top so I
> used a corkscrew which went in much too easily and, after using my
> pliers again, I discovered that the bottle was sealed by a plastic screw
> top.
>
> The wine was very pleasant for a dry Rose and had an aroma reminiscent
> of strawberries.
>
> I wish people who use new closures would enclose some instructions!

LOL I went through the same (think I cut myself of the aluminum)
sometime in the past Can't recall how but they seemed to hide the
perforations one would expect on a crew top. UGH!

--
Joseph Coulter

Posted to alt.food.wine

On Sunday, August 4, 2013 9:50:12 AM UTC-7, Joseph Coulter wrote:
> On 8/3/2013 7:23 PM, James Silverton wrote:
>
> > Today, I came on a new wine to me:

> > Robert Oakley

> > Rose of San Giovese

> > Dry

> > Mudgee, 2010

> > It was entirely the pink color that I would expect but difficulties

> > began when I tried to open it. There we no instructions on the bottle

> > but the capsule was very heavy duty aluminum, so much so that I was

> > afraid of cutting myself and used pliers from my workshop to pull off

> > the lower portion. There was still a complete portion at the top so I

> > used a corkscrew which went in much too easily and, after using my

> > pliers again, I discovered that the bottle was sealed by a plastic screw

> > top.

> > The wine was very pleasant for a dry Rose and had an aroma reminiscent

> > of strawberries.

> > I wish people who use new closures would enclose some instructions!

> LOL I went through the same (think I cut myself of the aluminum)
>
> sometime in the past Can't recall how but they seemed to hide the
>
> perforations one would expect on a crew top. UGH!
>

> --
>
> Joseph Coulter

My wife did the same thing a few years ago, trying to open a screwcap wine with a corkscrew. She still has a difficult time with screwcaps because the doesn't have the small muscle strength to break the perforations.
Posted to alt.food.wine

On 06/08/2013 06:01, AyTee wrote:

> My wife did the same thing a few years ago, trying to open a screwcap wine with a corkscrew.

I once got through a screwcap with a foil cutter

> She still has a difficult time with screwcaps because the doesn't have the small muscle
> strength to break the perforations.

I wonder if she is doing it right. I used to struggle until I realised
you could grasp the whole thing, including the bit under the perferations.

--
www.winenous.co.uk
Posted to alt.food.wine

"Steve Slatcher" > wrote in message
> On 06/08/2013 06:01, AyTee wrote:
>
>> My wife did the same thing a few years ago, trying to open a screwcap
>> wine with a corkscrew.

> I once got through a screwcap with a foil cutter

My B-I-L did that once and genuinely believed that the cork was missing -
until I pointed out, much to his embarassment, that it was a screw-cap.{:-)
Graham

Posted to alt.food.wine

On Tue, 6 Aug 2013 13:07:08 -0600, "graham" > wrote:

> "Steve Slatcher" > wrote in message
> > On 06/08/2013 06:01, AyTee wrote:
> >
> >> My wife did the same thing a few years ago, trying to open a screwcap
> >> wine with a corkscrew.

> > I once got through a screwcap with a foil cutter
> >

> My B-I-L did that once and genuinely believed that the cork was missing -
> until I pointed out, much to his embarassment, that it was a screw-cap.{:-)

I did exactly the same as your B-I-L once and was just as embarrassed
as he was. It sure didn't look like a standard screw cap.

--
Ken Blake
Posted to alt.food.wine

On 8/6/2013 3:45 PM, Ken Blake wrote:
> On Tue, 6 Aug 2013 13:07:08 -0600, "graham" > wrote:

>>> I once got through a screwcap with a foil cutter
>>>

>> My B-I-L did that once and genuinely believed that the cork was missing -
>> until I pointed out, much to his embarassment, that it was a screw-cap.{:-)

> I did exactly the same as your B-I-L once and was just as embarrassed
> as he was. It sure didn't look like a standard screw cap.

Sounds like th one I had, when all was said and done the cap was plastic
with a heavy aluminum capsule that actually twisted from the bottom but
like most of us I found that not to work because I was holding the
bottom and twisting the top.

--
Joseph Coulter

Posted to alt.food.wine

On 8/6/2013 3:45 PM, Ken Blake wrote:
> On Tue, 6 Aug 2013 13:07:08 -0600, "graham" > wrote:

>>> I once got through a screwcap with a foil cutter
>>>

>> My B-I-L did that once and genuinely believed that the cork was missing -
>> until I pointed out, much to his embarassment, that it was a screw-cap.{:-)

> I did exactly the same as your B-I-L once and was just as embarrassed
> as he was. It sure didn't look like a standard screw cap.

Mine was a little different because the screwcap was easily detached
from the heavy capsule and was made of plastic.

--
Jim Silverton (Potomac, MD)

Extraneous "not." in Reply To.
Posted to alt.food.wine

On Saturday, August 3, 2013 7:23:05 PM UTC-4, James Silverton wrote:
> Today, I came on a new wine to me:
>

> Robert Oakley
>
> Rose of San Giovese
>
> Dry
>
> Mudgee, 2010
>

> It was entirely the pink color that I would expect but difficulties
>
> began when I tried to open it. There we no instructions on the bottle
>
> but the capsule was very heavy duty aluminum, so much so that I was
>
> afraid of cutting myself and used pliers from my workshop to pull off
>
> the lower portion. There was still a complete portion at the top so I
>
> used a corkscrew which went in much too easily and, after using my
>
> pliers again, I discovered that the bottle was sealed by a plastic screw
>
> top.
>

> The wine was very pleasant for a dry Rose and had an aroma reminiscent
>
> of strawberries.
>

> Don't forget the basic physics lesson usually applied to champagne bottles. Hold the top, twist the bottle for maximum mechanical advantage.

Marc