FoodBanter.com

-   -   2005 Neiman Cellars "Caldwell Vineyard" Syrah (https://www.foodbanter.com/wine/425131-2005-neiman-cellars-caldwell.html)

Bi!! 01-08-2013 03:17 PM

2005 Neiman Cellars "Caldwell Vineyard" Syrah

I got to know Drew Neiman many years ago when he was the wine manager at a local Columbus Steakhouse. Eventually I wound up involved financially in a wine distributorship that Drew owned in Ohio so disclaimer alert. He left on a quest to be a winemaker in Napa and his first vintage was his 1999 Napa Red. Drew became a cellar rat for John Kongsgaard at Luna and Newton and then for John when he started his own label. These days Drew makes his wines at a custom crush facility at Caldwell Vineyards in Napa and his chards, cabs, merlots and syrahs are always well recieved but admittedly a bit pricey. I opened a bottle of his 2005 Caldwell Vineyards Syrah last night with some very strong Aussie lamb. The wine is quite dark in the glass, a bit on the heavy side and full of Napa fruit. Nose of blueberries, smoke, and typical syrah black pepper and beets. Black fruits on the palate, full throttle concentration and ripeness, plush but full tannins. A bit of beef blood and beet juice on the somewhat short finish. Nice but not super. "B"