Posted to alt.food.wine

Default TN: Bastille Day and a hot week- Juge and Pepiere are great, others vary

Wednesday was outdoor concert, I made mejillones escabechados (marinated mussels) and cold pheasant salad. Wines included

2012 Rimbert “Petit Cochon Bronze” rose
Darker than I remember previous vintages, a simple strawberry meets maraschino cherry pink. B-

2004 Blain-Gagnard “ La Boudriotte” Chassagne-Montrachet 1er
Warm picnic probably not best place to show a big whte Burg to best advantage. Pear, a bit of lemon, some background oak, seems slightly fatter/flatter than recent bottles, maybe just the heat. No oxidation. B

2009 Domaine des Coutures Saumur Champigny
New producer to me (though I have bought couple bottles in same sale as Fred). Medium body, lovely black cherry and raspberry fruit, light tannin, nice bottle to drink with a little chill. B+/B

2011 Frank Nappa “Anomaly” (North Fork, Long Island)
White from Pinot Noir, surprised that I find I like it, white cherries and apple, moderate acids. B

2010 Domaine du Petit Clos Bourgueil
Green, acidic, short. C

Thursday Betsy and I went to the Tarry Tavern, I had marrow bone and branzino, she had chicken mousse and scallops. We had a couple of quartinos (vintage not specifiec)

Bousquet Rose (Mendoza)
Simple, sweet, sucky. C

Stoneleigh Sauvignon Blanc (Marlborough)
Grapefruit and grass, thin, but at least typical (of overcropped SB). B-

Friday I was alone with some pork roast and the 2009 Joguet “Cuvee de la Cure” Chinon. No apparent oak, black raspberry and green tobacco leaf, damp earth. Showing quite well. B+

Saturday night I went to a pre-Bastille Day party by a couple of French friends. Canapes of chicken liver and duck proscuitto, then a shot of cold canteloupe soup with Muscat. Firsr sitdown course was tuna carpaccio, then we had cold leg of lamb and a summer vegetable assortment, followed by 7 French cheeses and dessert. All French wines of course:

Delacroix Blanc de Blancs
Very light, appley, good thirst quencher on a warm night. B-/C+

2012 Chidaine Touraine Rose
Crisp, dry with sweet strawberry fruit, some minerally notes. B+/B

2010 Chateau d'Oupia Minervois
Very good QPR. Juicy, fruity, with soil and ferric notes. Modest tannins, good length. B+/B

2002 Chateau Gillet Bordeaux
Big for Bdx AC, a bit clunky, still a bit of tannin. B-

2000 Juge ‘Cuvee C” Cornas
This was another bottle “oh I still have this” unearthed when I had to move boxes for flood cleanup. I think C is Juge’s drink young bottling, but this has done very well. Dark rich berry fruit, earth, herbs. Totally vibrant, tannins resolved, drinking very well. A-

1978 Ch. Beychevelle (St Julien)
This didn’t actually make it to dinner, as I went to double-decant cork slipped into bottle, while color was good I thought the wine seemed thin and advanced. Decided to go backup bottle (Meyney). Retasted when I got home it was (just drinkable), but I think this saw warm storage, into vinegar crock. This compromised bottle, C/C+

1988 Ch. Meyney
About what one would expect- old school Bdx with still some slightly tough tannin. Modest black fruits, pencil lead, leather. B/B+

2005 Baumard "Carte d’Or” Coteaux du Layon
Apples, apricots, spice, a bit short and needs more zip. B-/C+

Sunday was pasta with clams and garlic chives, and the 2010 Pepiere/Ollivier “Clisson” Muscadet. Full, ripe, vibrant, long. This can age I’d guess, but awfully tasty now. A-

Monday with grilled tofu and squash, plus caprese salad, the 2012 Sobreira Albarino (Rías Baixas). Light to medium bodied, floral, medium acids, easygoing. B/B-

Grade disclaimer: I'm a very easy grader, basically A is an excellent wine, B a good wine, C mediocre. Anything below C means I wouldn't drink at a party where it was only choice. Furthermore, I offer no promises of objectivity, accuracy, and certainly not of consistency.
Posted to alt.food.wine

On Tue, 16 Jul 2013 09:24:26 -0700, DaleW wrote:

> 2000 Juge "Cuvee C€ť Cornas This was another bottle €śoh I still have
> this€ť
> unearthed when I had to move boxes for flood cleanup. I think C is
> Juges drink young bottling, but this has done very well. Dark rich
> berry fruit,
> earth, herbs. Totally vibrant, tannins resolved, drinking very well. A-

Hi Dale,

I think it's the other way around (or used to be): 'C' stands for Coteaux,
and as usual the higher up the hill, the more age-worthy.

I like Juge a lot, but there has been some bottle variation. We don't
have any now, have to make a point to visit on the next trip south.

--
Questions about wine? Check the FAQ. http://winefaq.cwdjr.net
Posted to alt.food.wine

On Thursday, July 18, 2013 4:24:01 AM UTC-4, Emery Davis` wrote:

> I think it's the other way around (or used to be): 'C' stands for Coteaux,
> and as usual the higher up the hill, the more age-worthy.

I thought the SC was the more ageable- certainly sells for more!
Posted to alt.food.wine

On Thu, 18 Jul 2013 07:03:59 -0700, DaleW wrote:

> On Thursday, July 18, 2013 4:24:01 AM UTC-4, Emery Davis` wrote:
>>
>> I think it's the other way around (or used to be): 'C' stands for
>> Coteaux,
>> and as usual the higher up the hill, the more age-worthy.

> I thought the SC was the more ageable- certainly sells for more!

Yes, you're right. SC is for "selection coteaux", which IIRC is older
vines (and hence more age worthy). I was thinking of C vs the regular
Cornas, where the vines are grown on the flat. At least in the past
there were 3 cuvees, I don't know if they're all imported to the states.

Heading your way into the heat tomorrow, will be passing through NY on
the way to the even hotter DC (gasp).

-E
Posted to alt.food.wine

On Thursday, July 18, 2013 12:01:05 PM UTC-4, Emery Davis wrote:

> Yes, you're right. SC is for "selection coteaux", which IIRC is older
> vines (and hence more age worthy). I was thinking of C vs the regular
> Cornas, where the vines are grown on the flat. At least in the past
> there were 3 cuvees, I don't know if they're all imported to the states.

Heading your way into the heat tomorrow, will be passing through NY on
> the way to the even hotter DC (gasp).

Aha. Not sure if the regular Cornas is imported, but I've never seen anything by C and SC at the retailers I frequent.
Some time (hopefully not during a heatwave) try to plan a real stop in NY and let me open a few bottles for you

Vary Barbeque catalpa Asian Cooking 1 19-05-2017 10:58 PM
TN: Week's wines- winners are Pepiere, ESJ, Piuze, & Dutraive DaleW Wine 0 17-12-2015 10:34 PM
TN: hot/stormy week, with most good not great wines DaleW Wine 0 03-07-2013 03:25 AM
TN: Bastille Day wines Mark Lipton[_1_] Wine 1 15-07-2007 11:39 AM
Bastille Day (off topic) Bill Spohn Wine 0 14-07-2004 02:24 PM