Posted to alt.food.wine

Default Two Classic 2002 Napa Cabs

We opened a 2002 Phelps Insignia Napa and a 2002 Diamond Creek Gravelly Meadow last night in honor of our youngest son's 25th birthday. Grilled beef tenderloin, fresh Ohio sweet corn, and a zuchinni& Tomato salad from our garden.

2002 Phelps Insignia-Dark purple in the glass. Nose of espresso, cassis, smoke and black earth followed by flavors of black currants, black berries, coffee and anise. Quite complex with full but fine tannins. "A"

2002 Diamond Creek Gravelly Meadow-A bit lighter in color than the Insignia showing more red than purple. Quite aromatic with red berries, raspberries and Napa dusty notes on the nose. A bit more open and fruit forward with an abundance of sweet red and black fruits on the palate, some cedar and tobacco, powerful yet smooth on the palate. A bit more Bordeaux like than the Insignia. "A-"

It was a split decision among the family but there were no losers.
Posted to alt.food.wine

sounds like delicious food and wines (what, no 1988s?)
Posted to alt.food.wine

On Tuesday, July 16, 2013 12:25:07 PM UTC-4, DaleW wrote:
> sounds like delicious food and wines (what, no 1988s?)

:-) I have '88's of both makers but my children don't like mature wines as much as I do so they had to live with relative infanticide last night with merely 11 year old Cabs. We did start with a 2012 Virginia Vin Gris de Pinot that was delicious but I could not make out the name of the maker from the bottle.
Posted to alt.food.wine

On Tuesday, July 16, 2013 1:30:00 PM UTC-4, Bi!! wrote:
> On Tuesday, July 16, 2013 12:25:07 PM UTC-4, DaleW wrote:
>
> > sounds like delicious food and wines (what, no 1988s?)

> :-) I have '88's of both makers but my children don't like mature wines as much as I do so they had to live with relative infanticide last night with merely 11 year old Cabs. We did start with a 2012 Virginia Vin Gris de Pinot that was delicious but I could not make out the name of the maker from the bottle.

My wife informed me that it was 2011 Gabriele Rausse Vin Gris de Pinot. Bone dry with a nice brisk acidity. Nice floral and citrus component. Really loveley.

2002 Caymus SS Napa Cabernet Bi!! Wine 3 09-06-2015 01:45 PM
2002 Dominus Napa Valley Cab Bi!! Wine 0 07-06-2012 03:19 PM
Two Cal Cabs 2002 Bi!! Wine 0 13-04-2009 01:49 PM
2002 Colgin Cariad Napa Red WIne Bi!! Wine 0 18-03-2009 03:16 PM
A few 1990 Napa Cabs Bi!! Wine 0 04-04-2007 06:40 PM