FoodBanter.com

-   -   [TN] '95 Il Sodaccio di Montevertine (https://www.foodbanter.com/wine/424572-tn-95-il-sodaccio.html)

Mark Lipton[_1_] 24-06-2013 04:16 AM

[TN] '95 Il Sodaccio di Montevertine

With Jean off in Hawaii this week, Andy and I are living the bachelor
lives. Tonight we made pasta (cappelini, fettucine and one lonely
lasagne) and I had a tomato-based sauce with it. With this, I opened:

1995 Montevertine Il Sodaccio Vino di Tavola
nose: some maderization, pencil lead
palate: medium body, smooth mouthfeel, good acidity

Alas, a disappointment. Although there was no overt sign of heat damage,
it certainly bore the imprint of heat damage in its flavor profile.
Still serviceable with the pasta, it lacked the aromatic complexity that
I expect from this producer.

Mark Lipton

Bi!! 24-06-2013 02:06 PM

On Sunday, June 23, 2013 11:16:48 PM UTC-4, Mark Lipton wrote:
> With Jean off in Hawaii this week, Andy and I are living the bachelor
>
> lives. Tonight we made pasta (cappelini, fettucine and one lonely
>
> lasagne) and I had a tomato-based sauce with it. With this, I opened:
>

> 1995 Montevertine Il Sodaccio Vino di Tavola
>
> nose: some maderization, pencil lead
>
> palate: medium body, smooth mouthfeel, good acidity
>

> Alas, a disappointment. Although there was no overt sign of heat damage,
>
> it certainly bore the imprint of heat damage in its flavor profile.
>
> Still serviceable with the pasta, it lacked the aromatic complexity that
>
> I expect from this producer.
>

> Mark Lipton

I found your comments about heat damage interesting Mark as I have experienced this more often that I care to account for in Italian wines. Perhaps it's just the luck of the draw or the shipping practices of the importers but it weems to happen more on Italian wines than others.

DaleW 24-06-2013 04:19 PM

[TN] '95 Il Sodaccio di Montevertine

On Sunday, June 23, 2013 11:16:48 PM UTC-4, Mark Lipton wrote:
> With Jean off in Hawaii this week, Andy and I are living the bachelor
>
> lives. Tonight we made pasta (cappelini, fettucine and one lonely
>
> lasagne) and I had a tomato-based sauce with it. With this, I opened:
>

> 1995 Montevertine Il Sodaccio Vino di Tavola
>
> nose: some maderization, pencil lead
>
> palate: medium body, smooth mouthfeel, good acidity
>

> Alas, a disappointment. Although there was no overt sign of heat damage,
>
> it certainly bore the imprint of heat damage in its flavor profile.
>
> Still serviceable with the pasta, it lacked the aromatic complexity that
>
> I expect from this producer.
>

> Mark Lipton

This was from auction lot? I opened 750 from this, showed really really well, with no maderization. Still have mags, will pay extra attention when I open.

Mark Lipton[_1_] 24-06-2013 04:50 PM

On 6/24/13 11:19 AM, DaleW wrote:

> This was from auction lot? I opened 750 from this, showed really
> really well, with no maderization. Still have mags, will pay extra
> attention when I open.

Yep. I still have a magnum and may also have another 750, so will see
if this is just an isolated problem. I did read your note on your
bottle, so am quite hopeful.

Mark Lipton