Posted to alt.food.wine

Default TN: Provence, and a lot more

Wednesday was smoked salmon with pasta (my brother had given me hot-smoked king from a fishing trip, I don’t like it served cold) with the 2007 Rudi Pichler “Kirchweg” Riesling Smaragd. Fullbodied, citrus with ginger and tropical notes, long finish, but really needs some time to unwind. B+

Friday was a long day- waiting and testifying in a trial all day, then evening in office to catch up. So after a snacky dinner I was happy to go to Fred’s to relax on deck with local tasting group and have some Provencal reds blind. Fred had out a nice spread - pistou, roasted pepper “ratatouille”, tapenade, sausages, grilled sardines, and more.

There was a non-blind white to start, the 2011 Clos St. Magdeleine (Cassis) blanc. Floral, ripe tropical fruit, enough acids to keep fresh. B

On to blind reds
#1 - the odd shaped bottle was a clue! Easygoing, light tannins, ripe, it’s the 2010 Mas de Gourgonnier (Baux de Provence). B

#2 - some age,midbodied very herby, good red fruits, nice length, very impressed 1999 Ch. Simone (Palette). A-

#3 - Slightly jammy, sweet fruit, a bit short. 2010 Milan “Le Vallon” (didn’t note appellation)
B-/C+
#4- mine, Fred got Bandol. Full, peppery, powerful. Dark fruits, a bit of a meaty note. 2008 Domaine de la Tour du Bon Bandol B+
#5 really young, clearly needs time. Underbrush and lavender over black cherry fruit. 2008 Tempier Bandol. B+

#6 Most tannic of night, black fruits, easy Bandol guess. Really needs some time. 2009 La Bastide Blanche Bandol. B/B+

#7 redder fruits, good acids, I guessed this was Baux de Provence, not Bandol. Easy drinking. 2009 la Tour du Bon “Revolution” Bandol B

Saturday I picked up some scallops at the farmer’s market to add to a bouillabaisse from freezer, with the 2012 Ch. Lauduc rose. Heavy, fleshy red fruit, not what I want in a rose. C+

Sunday was also from freezer, a lamb and lentil combo with the 2011 Barou “Cuvee des Vernes” Syrah (VdP). Light to medium bodied, easy blackberry fruit, nice little wine, but I think I’d rather spend a few more dollars for the Barou St Joseph (or the Gonon Iles Feray). B-

Monday was hot dogs and leftovers, with the 2010 Schmitges Dry Riesling. Competent, inexpensive Riesling, apple blossoms, a bit subdued. Inexpensive at $12 liter. B-/C+

Tuesday was a beautiful spring day, and we invited friends over to dine on patio. First I shucked a few raw oysters , and opened the 2011 Graville-Lacoste (Graves). Lightly grassy Bordeaux Blanc, fresh and good on a spring evening. B

Ron brought a few “stuffies” (RI styled stuffed clams), which I paired with the NV Pinon Touraine Brut rose. This seems fuller and more subdued than other bottles, cranberry and cherry, good length. B

Dinner was grilled salmon, asparagus with miso butter and quail eggs,
and salad. Couple more wines
2009 Copain “Tous Ensemble” Pinot Noir
Nice moderately fleshy, moderately acidic PN, nice on the patio. B/B+

2012 Edmunds St John “Bone Jolly” Gamay Rose
Good acids, strawberries and cherry, earthy compared to previous vintages. B+

Last night went a bit cross-cultural, hiyayakko for starter, then 3 small pizzas (blue cheese and red onion, feta/arugula/olive, and Margherita, and the 2012 Lucques rose (North Coast). Interesting, red fruited (not sure of cepage), seems a bit dull at first but opens and becomes very floral, moderate acids, good length. B

Tonight I was cooking, tried to be a bit more mono-cultural.Tuna steaks in a soy/ginger marinade, greens sauteed with sesame oil, green beans with ponzu/sesame seeds, and haiga rice. Wine was the 2011 Sunier Morgon. New producer to me, and I was not impressed at first. Seemed somewhat blocky. But air worked wonders, and this seemed to simultaneously gain flavor and lose weight. Light, ethereal, pretty wine with air. B+/A-

Grade disclaimer: I'm a very easy grader, basically A is an excellent wine, B a good wine, C mediocre. Anything below C means I wouldn't drink at a party where it was only choice. Furthermore, I offer no promises of objectivity, accuracy, and certainly not of consistency.

TN: Rhone and Provence DaleW Wine 3 19-05-2008 10:00 PM
Herbes de Provence International Recipes OnLine Recipes (moderated) 0 05-11-2006 03:54 AM
Paris and Provence --keven. Sourdough 9 06-10-2006 09:27 PM
Welcome To a new french cooking course in Provence ... Jean-François General Cooking 5 29-07-2006 06:01 AM
TN: Provence pinky, PA white Dan The Man Wine 0 13-06-2006 01:05 PM