Posted to alt.food.wine

Default [TN] Jean returns home (Barbadillo Manzanilla, Clape Cornas)

DaleW wrote:
> On Sunday, June 2, 2013 1:11:00 AM UTC-4, Mark Lipton wrote: 1995
> Clape Cornas
>

> Clape Cornas and Jaboulet Thalabert Crozes were my go-to N. Rhones. I
> drank a bunch. In retrospect probably drank them all too young!

Yeah, it's hard not to do, Dale. Even those "minor" N Rhone Syrahs are
damn near immortal AFAICT. I've had 20 year old Verset Cornas that was
not only alive but sensational. Who knows how long Hermitage can age
for? My guess would 50 years in a good vintage. The real problem is
that they become so much more appealing as they reach old age, which is
when the nose really develops and they become less rugged. If I'd been
willing to give this wine another 5 years, I'd bet I'd have liked it
even more.

Mark Lipton
Posted to alt.food.wine

On Jun 5, 10:40*pm, Mark Lipton > wrote:
> DaleW wrote:
> > On Sunday, June 2, 2013 1:11:00 AM UTC-4, Mark Lipton wrote: 1995
> > Clape Cornas

> > Clape Cornas and Jaboulet Thalabert Crozes were my go-to N. Rhones. I
> > drank a bunch. In retrospect probably drank them all too young!

> Yeah, it's hard not to do, Dale. *Even those "minor" N Rhone Syrahs are
> damn near immortal AFAICT. *I've had 20 year old Verset Cornas that was
> not only alive but sensational. *Who knows how long Hermitage can age
> for? *My guess would 50 years in a good vintage. *The real problem is
> that they become so much more appealing as they reach old age, which is
> when the nose really develops and they become less rugged. *If I'd been
> willing to give this wine another 5 years, I'd bet I'd have liked it
> even more.
>
> Mark Lipton

Couldn't agree more. I have a number of bottles from the late 80's
early 90's that are not nearly close to maturity and really show very
little age.

TN: 2 Cornas and 2 spaniards lleichtman Wine 8 03-04-2015 05:56 PM
[TN] '95 Chapoutier Cornas Mark Lipton[_1_] Wine 0 08-10-2009 02:24 PM
TN Cornas "05 John T Wine 1 24-02-2009 02:20 PM
St. Cosme, Clape, Harlan, Taylors Bill S. Wine 4 13-01-2009 08:27 AM
cornas by robert michel & coteaux-du-tricastin by jean-marc aujoux david Wine 2 14-12-2003 03:29 PM