Posted to alt.food.wine

Default TN: Memorial Day weekend wines

On a cool rainy Saturday I made a riff on bouillabaise, with lobster, clams, cod, and swordfish, Wine was the 2012 Gourgonner Les Baux rose- red fruits, citrus zest, herbs. Nice length, very good value. B+/B
Cooking wine was the 2011 La Vieille Ferme blanc, dry, floral, good crispness for Rhone varieties, good value. Screwcapped, drinks well over couple days. B-/B

Sunday night it was very cool; Betsy had left for Maine concert so I thought a good time to have some cassoulet from freezer. Wine was the 2011 Franck Balthazar Cotes du Rhone- dark berries, leather, meat. A touch of pepper, though not as much as previous bottles. Nice pretty clean Syrah with a lot of complexity for the price. B++

A month or two back Betsy had said “sorry we can’t have our Memorial Day party, I’ll be in Maine.” But Sunday AM (a) 2 people asked me “are you having a party?” and (b) weather forecast for Monday was awesome. Before she left we had brunch locally with friends and family, and when I sheepishly asked re throwing a party without her she said sure. So Sunday afternoon I sent out invite to locals, and a smaller but decent sized (18 or so) crowd responded. So Monday after watching little local parade I made guacamole, grilled porterhouses, lobster,quail, corn and squash, and others brought an assortment (shrimp, sausage, quinoa, deviled eggs,etc). Utterly perfect weather, and we had fun. And wine:

White
2011 La Chablisienne “ Fourchaume” Chablis 1er
Lemony citrus flavors, tart, crisp and a good food wine, but wouldn’t have picked for a 1er cru. Of course, priced less than many Chablis AC, so decent value. B

2004 Blain-Gagnard “ Boudriotte” Chassagne-Montrachet 1er
Fresh, no premox here, citrus and pear, hint of vanillin oak. Good length. B+

2008 Clemens Busch Marienburg Grosses Gewaches
Lovely, big but balanced, white peach, spice, apple blossoms. Plenty of acids but nicely balanced. A-/B+

2011 Donnhoff Oberhauser Leistenberg Kabinett
Not shut down, Granny smith and grapefruit, fairly sweet but with good acids. B+/A-

Rose
2012 Arnot Roberts “Luchsinger Vineyard” Rose
Made from Touriga Nacional, this is dry, lively, fresh, and bright. Red fruits, mineral, floral.B+

2012 Baudry Chinon Rose
Apparently quite popular, almost emptied before I got a small pour! Seems a bit rounder than previous couple vintages, sweet cherrry and raspberry fruit, some earth, very good if a tad less vibrant than last years. B+

2012 Les Hauts Plateaux rose
Light, sweet strawberry, short and a bit insipid. C+

Red
1995 Pernot “Clos du Dessus des Marconnets” Beaune
Mature but with enough fruit even of those who generally go for young ripe wines, dark cherry and roasted meats, a hint of barnyard funk, surprisingly popular. B+

2007 Masi “Costasera” Amarone (375)
Ripe and raisiny, a bit of fruitcake, well received. B

2011 Lapalu Cote de Brouilly
Rather dark fruited for Gamay, lots of black cherry,. good acids, quite long. B+

Last night I had vegetable leftovers, with the Clemens Busch and Baudry showing as well or better than Monday, and the Amarone showing very pruney.

Grade disclaimer: I'm a very easy grader, basically A is an excellent wine, B a good wine, C mediocre. Anything below C means I wouldn't drink at a party where it was only choice. Furthermore, I offer no promises of objectivity, accuracy, and certainly not of consistency.
Posted to alt.food.wine

On May 29, 3:38*pm, DaleW > wrote:
> [...]
> 1995 Pernot “Clos du Dessus des Marconnets” Beaune
> Mature but with enough fruit even of those who generally go for young ripe wines, dark cherry and roasted meats, a hint of barnyard funk, surprisingly popular. B+
>
> 2007 Masi “Costasera” Amarone (375)
> Ripe and raisiny, a bit of fruitcake, well received. B
>
> 2011 Lapalu Cote de Brouilly
> Rather dark fruited for Gamay, lots of black cherry,. good acids, quite long. B+
>
> Last night I had vegetable leftovers, with the Clemens Busch and Baudry showing as well or better than Monday, and the Amarone showing very pruney.
>
> Grade disclaimer: I'm a very easy grader, basically A is an excellent wine, B a good wine, C mediocre. Anything below C means I wouldn't drink at a party where it was only choice. Furthermore, I offer no promises of objectivity, accuracy, and certainly not of consistency.

I have really become a fan of the Arnot Roberts wines. Good price and
tasty juice.
Posted to alt.food.wine

On Thursday, May 30, 2013 9:32:54 AM UTC-4, Bi!! wrote:
> [...]

> > Mature but with enough fruit even of those who generally go for young ripe wines, dark cherry and roasted meats, a hint of barnyard funk, surprisingly popular. B+

> > 2007 Masi “Costasera” Amarone (375)

> > Ripe and raisiny, a bit of fruitcake, well received. B

> > 2011 Lapalu Cote de Brouilly

> > Rather dark fruited for Gamay, lots of black cherry,. good acids, quite long. B+

> > Last night I had vegetable leftovers, with the Clemens Busch and Baudry showing as well or better than Monday, and the Amarone showing very pruney..

> > Grade disclaimer: I'm a very easy grader, basically A is an excellent wine, B a good wine, C mediocre. Anything below C means I wouldn't drink at a party where it was only choice. Furthermore, I offer no promises of objectivity, accuracy, and certainly not of consistency.

> I have really become a fan of the Arnot Roberts wines. Good price and

As have I. Been drinking several of the bottles of the excellent Rose recently.