Posted to alt.food.wine

Default '12 Viré-Clessé

Mark's recent post reminded me that we should post about simple, every-
day wines, too.

This 2012 coop wine (Cave de Lugny) Viré-Clessé is an appellation I
haven't seen before, only recently established I believe. At 6 EU, clean
and fresh, pears and agrumes, good crisp acidity. Very good with carrelet
in butter, and broccoli.

-E
Posted to alt.food.wine

On 5/14/13 5:07 PM, Emery Davis wrote:
> Mark's recent post reminded me that we should post about simple, every-
> day wines, too.
>
> This 2012 coop wine (Cave de Lugny) Viré-Clessé is an appellation I
> haven't seen before, only recently established I believe. At 6 EU, clean
> and fresh, pears and agrumes, good crisp acidity. Very good with carrelet
> in butter, and broccoli.

Emery,
The AOC Viré-Clessé has been around for a while (since '99 per
Wikipedia) and is responsible for some of my favorite Maconnais
Chardonnays. I've had good examples from Dom. Valette (a bit oxidative,
per the house style), Dom. de Roally and Dom. Bongran (Thevenet), though
there is some RS and botrytis in a few of their wines.

Mark Lipton

Posted to alt.food.wine

On Tue, 14 May 2013 18:23:11 -0400, Mark Lipton >
wrote:

>On 5/14/13 5:07 PM, Emery Davis wrote:
>> Mark's recent post reminded me that we should post about simple, every-
>> day wines, too.
>>
>> This 2012 coop wine (Cave de Lugny) Viré-Clessé is an appellation I
>> haven't seen before, only recently established I believe. At 6 EU, clean
>> and fresh, pears and agrumes, good crisp acidity. Very good with carrelet
>> in butter, and broccoli.

>Emery,
> The AOC Viré-Clessé has been around for a while (since '99 per
>Wikipedia) and is responsible for some of my favorite Maconnais
>Chardonnays. I've had good examples from Dom. Valette (a bit oxidative,
>per the house style), Dom. de Roally and Dom. Bongran (Thevenet), though
>there is some RS and botrytis in a few of their wines.

Love Bongran, the dry ones are still very rich and the price is
incredibly low for quality. Their light botrytis wines are marked as
cuvée levroutée or more rarely the full potrytids is cuvée botrytis,
also extraordinary, I have some old bottles sitting around...

Mike
Posted to alt.food.wine

On Tue, 14 May 2013 18:23:11 -0400, Mark Lipton wrote:

> The AOC Viré-Clessé has been around for a while (since '99 per
> Wikipedia) and is responsible for some of my favorite Maconnais
> Chardonnays. I've had good examples from Dom. Valette (a bit oxidative,
> per the house style), Dom. de Roally and Dom. Bongran (Thevenet), though
> there is some RS and botrytis in a few of their wines.

Heh, I'm sooo old that 99 seems recent to me! I'll keep a lookout,
thanks for the recs.

-E