Posted to alt.food.wine

Default TN: Wines from all over Europe (plus one Napa)

With grilled tofu in a ginger/citrus marinade, brown rice, and salad, the 2010 Selbach Oster Zeltinger Sonnenuhr Kabinett. This is Spatlese sweetness, but good acids, apple and lime with a floral finish. B+

Some friends and their dog came over for dinner Wednesday, We greeted with the NV
Tribaut- Schloesser “Tradition” Champagnet. Bright but simple, a bit heavy of the dosage, B-

First course was mushroom crostini, with the 2007 Fevre “Bourgos” Chablis GC. Full, rich, seashell and flint. B+/A-

Main course was flank steak, snow peas, and barley
1999 Havens “Bourriquot”
Brambly dark berry fruit, a little hint of vanilla, a touch of barnyard. Fully mature and drinking well. B+

1999 Carlo Giacosa “Narin” Barbaresco
Modest fruit, slightly raspy tannins, a touch clipped. It ain’t Bruno! B-

2007 Ramos Pinto “Collection” (Douro)\
ripe, sweet, a bit simple. B-/C+

Thursday was seared scallops, brown rice, green beans with tomato, and salad. The
2010 Henri Darnat “la Jumalie” Bourgogne Blanc was on lighter side of Chardonnay, but with good acids, bright pear and citrus fruit, decent finish for under $15. B

Friday was “Danny Kaye’s Chicken Salad” and grilled king oyster mushrooms. Wine was the 2010 Neumayer “Zwirch” Gruner Veltliner (Traisental Reserve Este Lage). Very good with spring pea, apple, and flower notes, good round mouthfeel, good match with the food, nice stuff. B+/A-

Sunday was Mother’s Day, and with Dave in UK it was up to the Basset Hound to give Betsy card and present. I helped by doing dinner We started with lobster salad, with the 2010 Vocoret Chablis. Lighter styled, some chalk and mineral over modest yellow fruits, moderate acids, ok length. This was inexpensive and a decent deal. B

Main was grilled porterhouse with potato salad and arugula. Normally I’d have gone with a bigger red, but Betsy had opened the 2011 Umathum Zweigelt Saturday while I was drinking Bordeaux in the city, so went with that. Very purpley color, black raspberry fruit, bright, lighter tannins, nice wine (though not what I’d normally pick for steak). B+/B

Grade disclaimer: I'm a very easy grader, basically A is an excellent wine, B a good wine, C mediocre. Anything below C means I wouldn't drink at a party where it was only choice. Furthermore, I offer no promises of objectivity, accuracy, and certainly not of consistency.
Posted to alt.food.wine

On May 13, 4:30*pm, DaleW > wrote:
> With grilled tofu in a ginger/citrus marinade, brown rice, and salad, the 2010 Selbach Oster Zeltinger Sonnenuhr Kabinett. This is Spatlese sweetness, but good acids, apple and lime with a floral finish. B+
>
> Some friends and their dog came over for dinner Wednesday, We greeted with the NV
> Tribaut- Schloesser “Tradition” *Champagnet. Bright but simple, a bit heavy of the dosage, B-
>
> First course was mushroom crostini, with the 2007 Fevre “Bourgos” Chablis GC. Full, rich, seashell and flint. B+/A-
>
> Main course was flank steak, snow peas, and barley
> 1999 Havens “Bourriquot”
> Brambly dark berry fruit, a little hint of vanilla, a touch of barnyard. Fully mature and drinking well. B+
>
> 1999 Carlo Giacosa “Narin” Barbaresco
> Modest fruit, slightly raspy tannins, a touch clipped. It ain’t Bruno! B-
>
> 2007 Ramos Pinto “Collection” (Douro)\
> ripe, sweet, a bit simple. B-/C+
>
> Thursday was seared scallops, brown rice, green beans with tomato, and salad. The
> 2010 Henri Darnat “la Jumalie” Bourgogne Blanc was on lighter side of Chardonnay, but with good acids, bright pear and citrus fruit, decent finish for under $15. B
>
> Friday was “Danny Kaye’s Chicken Salad” and grilled king oyster mushrooms. Wine was the 2010 Neumayer “Zwirch” Gruner Veltliner (Traisental Reserve Este Lage). Very good with spring pea, apple, and flower notes, good round mouthfeel, good match with the food, nice stuff. B+/A-
>
> Sunday was Mother’s Day, and with Dave in UK it was up to the Basset Hound to give Betsy card and present. I helped by doing dinner We started with lobster salad, with the 2010 Vocoret Chablis. Lighter styled, some chalk and mineral over modest yellow fruits, moderate acids, ok length. This was inexpensive and a decent deal. B
>
> Main was grilled porterhouse with potato salad and arugula. Normally I’d have gone with a bigger red, but Betsy had opened the 2011 Umathum Zweigelt *Saturday while I was drinking Bordeaux in the city, so went with that.. Very purpley color, black raspberry fruit, bright, lighter tannins, nice wine (though not what I’d normally pick for steak). B+/B
>
> Grade disclaimer: I'm a very easy grader, basically A is an excellent wine, B a good wine, C mediocre. Anything below C means I wouldn't drink at a party where it was only choice. Furthermore, I offer no promises of objectivity, accuracy, and certainly not of consistency.

Thank God....a 2007 Fevre with no premox. I've had two bad bottles of
'07 Bougros in the last two weeks that were oxidized.
Posted to alt.food.wine

On Tuesday, May 14, 2013 7:28:22 AM UTC-6, Bi!! wrote:
> On May 13, 4:30*pm, DaleW > wrote:
>
> > With grilled tofu in a ginger/citrus marinade, brown rice, and salad, the 2010 Selbach Oster Zeltinger Sonnenuhr Kabinett. This is Spatlese sweetness, but good acids, apple and lime with a floral finish. B+

> > Some friends and their dog came over for dinner Wednesday, We greeted with the NV

> > Tribaut- Schloesser “Tradition” *Champagnet. Bright but simple, a bit heavy of the dosage, B-

> > First course was mushroom crostini, with the 2007 Fevre “Bourgos” Chablis GC. Full, rich, seashell and flint. B+/A-

> > Main course was flank steak, snow peas, and barley

> > 1999 Havens “Bourriquot”

> > Brambly dark berry fruit, a little hint of vanilla, a touch of barnyard.. Fully mature and drinking well. B+

> > 1999 Carlo Giacosa “Narin” Barbaresco

> > Modest fruit, slightly raspy tannins, a touch clipped. It ain’t Bruno! B-

> > 2007 Ramos Pinto “Collection” (Douro)\

> > ripe, sweet, a bit simple. B-/C+

> > Thursday was seared scallops, brown rice, green beans with tomato, and salad. The

> > 2010 Henri Darnat “la Jumalie” Bourgogne Blanc was on lighter side of Chardonnay, but with good acids, bright pear and citrus fruit, decent finish for under $15. B

> > Friday was “Danny Kaye’s Chicken Salad” and grilled king oyster mushrooms. Wine was the 2010 Neumayer “Zwirch” Gruner Veltliner (Traisental Reserve Este Lage). Very good with spring pea, apple, and flower notes, good round mouthfeel, good match with the food, nice stuff. B+/A-

> > Sunday was Mother’s Day, and with Dave in UK it was up to the Basset Hound to give Betsy card and present. I helped by doing dinner We started with lobster salad, with the 2010 Vocoret Chablis. Lighter styled, some chalk and mineral over modest yellow fruits, moderate acids, ok length. This was inexpensive and a decent deal. B

> > Main was grilled porterhouse with potato salad and arugula. Normally I’d have gone with a bigger red, but Betsy had opened the 2011 Umathum Zweigelt *Saturday while I was drinking Bordeaux in the city, so went with that. Very purpley color, black raspberry fruit, bright, lighter tannins, nice wine (though not what I’d normally pick for steak). B+/B

> > Grade disclaimer: I'm a very easy grader, basically A is an excellent wine, B a good wine, C mediocre. Anything below C means I wouldn't drink at a party where it was only choice. Furthermore, I offer no promises of objectivity, accuracy, and certainly not of consistency.

> Thank God....a 2007 Fevre with no premox. I've had two bad bottles of
>
> '07 Bougros in the last two weeks that were oxidized.

Make that 3. Had same wine a month ago. Premox on the Fevre. And it was to go with a great lobster dinner. Boo. Pulled a 2009 Brewer Clifton Gneiss. Went well.
Posted to alt.food.wine

On Tuesday, May 14, 2013 9:28:22 AM UTC-4, Bi!! wrote:

> Thank God....a 2007 Fevre with no premox. I've had two bad bottles of
> '07 Bougros in the last two weeks that were oxidized.

Fevre has been a prime offender in premOx sweepstakes, but all of my 07s have been ok (so far). Oxidized 02, 04, 05 but all were 7-9 years post vintage
Posted to alt.food.wine

On May 14, 9:11*pm, DaleW > wrote:
> On Tuesday, May 14, 2013 9:28:22 AM UTC-4, Bi!! wrote:
>
> > Thank God....a 2007 Fevre with no premox. *I've had two bad bottles of
> > '07 Bougros in the last two weeks that were oxidized.

> Fevre has been a prime offender in premOx sweepstakes, but all of my 07s have been ok (so far). Oxidized 02, 04, 05 but all were 7-9 years post vintage

I quit buying Fevre due to excessive premox issues. I find problems
occasionally with Brocard but not nearly as often as with the Fevre.

Posted to alt.food.wine

On 5/15/13 9:44 AM, Bi!! wrote:

> I quit buying Fevre due to excessive premox issues. I find problems
> occasionally with Brocard but not nearly as often as with the Fevre.

I also don't buy Fevre, but for a different reason: I just don't find
their wines as compelling as some others'. I have been priced out of
Dauvissat and Raveneau, but I have lately really enjoyed the wines of
Louis Michel, Laurent Tribut and Dom. Servin. Picq, Savary and Brocard
I would put at a slightly lower rung, but good values.

Mark Lipton

TN: end of summer wines- western Europe DaleW Wine 0 12-09-2010 03:10 AM
HdV wines of Napa Richard Neidich Wine 7 26-02-2009 04:11 AM
Favorite Sonoma and Napa Valley wines? Agent Red Wine 6 22-07-2008 08:42 PM
FYI...Prices jump for real Napa grown wines... Rick Wine 1 14-06-2008 01:47 PM
TN: Thanksgiving wines from MSR, Champagne, Burgundy, and Napa DaleW Wine 0 23-11-2007 10:11 PM