Posted to alt.food.wine

Default 1993 Dujac Clos de la Roche

I've had a bottle of 1993 Dujac Clos de la Roche GC in my cellar for
many years and while don't remember where I bought it I always
suspected the provenance since there was a telltale stain on the side
of the bottle that was from leakage at some point. I opened it
yesterday at lunch with friends and the cork was saturated and had
quite a bit of mold under the foil. The wine was very brisckish in
the glass and while the aromas were of mushrooms and sour cherry the
palate leaned more towards Earl Grey tea and cedar. The wine was
drilnkable but not prime and was a dissapointment. I'm not sure if I
had drank it earlier if it would have made much difference as I think
it had been cooked at some point.
Posted to alt.food.wine

OUch!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Posted to alt.food.wine

On 5/2/13 12:11 PM, Bi!! wrote:
> I've had a bottle of 1993 Dujac Clos de la Roche GC in my cellar for
> many years and while don't remember where I bought it I always
> suspected the provenance since there was a telltale stain on the side
> of the bottle that was from leakage at some point. I opened it
> yesterday at lunch with friends and the cork was saturated and had
> quite a bit of mold under the foil. The wine was very brisckish in
> the glass and while the aromas were of mushrooms and sour cherry the
> palate leaned more towards Earl Grey tea and cedar. The wine was
> drilnkable but not prime and was a dissapointment. I'm not sure if I
> had drank it earlier if it would have made much difference as I think
> it had been cooked at some point.

What a painful story, Bill. The '88 Dujac Clos de la Roche is my all
time most transcendent Burgundy experience and I would expect nothing
less from the great '93 vintage. Sorry to hear that this was your only
bottle, too.

Mark Lipton

Posted to alt.food.wine

On May 2, 11:11*am, "Bi!!" > wrote:
> I've had a bottle of 1993 Dujac Clos de la Roche GC in my cellar for
> many years and while don't remember where I bought it I always
> suspected the provenance since there was a telltale stain on the side
> of the bottle that was from leakage at some point. *I opened it
> yesterday at lunch with friends and the cork was saturated and had
> quite a bit of mold under the foil. *The wine was very brisckish in
> the glass and while the aromas were of mushrooms and sour cherry the
> palate leaned more towards Earl Grey tea and cedar. *The wine was
> drilnkable but not prime and was a dissapointment. *I'm not sure if I
> had drank it earlier if it would have made much difference as I think
> it had been cooked at some point.

I am sorry to her about your bad bottle of wine. You may never know
what caused the problem. I recently found a poor bottle of Mouton-
Rothschild 1970. It came from the same case as other bottles that all
have been very good so far. Bottles from this era had lead capsules,
and the capsule for this bottle was tightly sealed to the glass.
However a small round hole of corroded lead was near the bottom of the
lead capsule. When I stood the bottle up, I found that the level of
wine was about 3 inches below the neck. For some reason there was some
flaw in the cork to glass seal that allowed wine to contact the lead
capsule and the wine must have very slowly leaked over a long time.
Since this leakage came from the capsule well down from the top of the
capsule, I did not notice it in the bin until I pulled the bottle from
the bin. I am not even going to taste the wine because it may have
lead contamination. I have had the flawed bottle standing up a few
weeks. Soon I will open it to see the condition of the cork and
perhaps sniff it from a distance before flushing it down the sewer.

Posted to alt.food.wine

On May 3, 1:56*pm, Mark Lipton > wrote:
> On 5/2/13 12:11 PM, Bi!! wrote:
>
> > I've had a bottle of 1993 Dujac Clos de la Roche GC in my cellar for
> > many years and while don't remember where I bought it I always
> > suspected the provenance since there was a telltale stain on the side
> > of the bottle that was from leakage at some point. *I opened i
> > yesterday at lunch with friends and the cork was saturated and had
> > quite a bit of mold under the foil. *The wine was very brisckish in
> > the glass and while the aromas were of mushrooms and sour cherry the
> > palate leaned more towards Earl Grey tea and cedar. *The wine was
> > drilnkable but not prime and was a dissapointment. *I'm not sure if I
> > had drank it earlier if it would have made much difference as I think
> > it had been cooked at some point.

> What a painful story, Bill. *The '88 Dujac Clos de la Roche is my all
> time most transcendent Burgundy experience and I would expect nothing
> less from the great '93 vintage. *Sorry to hear that this was your only
> bottle, too.
>
> Mark Lipton
>
> --
> alt.food.wine FAQ: *http://winefaq.cwdjr.net

I was quite disappointed as Dujac is one of my favorite wines and
their Clos de la Roche a personal favorite of mine too. I have
visited a number of times and The Seyesse family is a perfect blend of
traditional French Burgundian tradition with dash of American
exuberence. Visiting there is always a treat.