Posted to alt.food.wine

Default TN: Young Frankstein, plus CA, IT, NZ, more

Tuesday was vegetarian leftovers (pasta, broccoli, etc) with the 2011 Gonon “Les Iles Feray” VdP. Really good stuff for the price- classic peppery Rhone Syrah with bright black berry fruit, a little smokey edge, good length. B+/A-

Betsy grilled spare ribs, plus made sugar snap peas with mint and potato salad. Wine with the ribs was the 2012 Arnot-Roberts “Luchsinger Vineyard” Touriga Nacional Rose. So fresh, so light, so bright and friendly! Get more. B+
With grilled squid on salad, grilled eggplant with a yogurt-mint sauce, & grilled trumpet mushrooms, the 2009 Deschamps "Les Porcheronnes" Pouilly-Fume. Rounder, riper style of Loire SB, peachy fruit with a little citrus, pleasant but not distinctive. B-
With clams and tomatoes over pasta 2010 Manbach "Frankstein" Riesling- I know it’s Frankstein not Frankenstein, but I still ended up with Edgar Winter tunes and Marty Feldman jokes in my head. This wasn’t a great match- I thought we were doing clams with ginger. Wine was a bit blah- pudgy Alsace, fairly dry but could use more zip, and a bit clipped. B-/C+

Saturday started with some oysters on the half shell with leftover SB. Main course was an excellent lamb/lentil combo, served with the 2012 Lapierre “Raisins Gaulois” - hey, this actually says 2012 not MMXII - did they change rules re vin de table? I think 2012 is supposed to be a problematic vintage in Beaujolais, but neither Betsy nor I had any problem with this. Primary, fruity, straightforward honest wine. B+/B

Sunday we went to Betsy’s sister’s home for dinner. The piano trio with Betsy’s brother-in-law’s sister and brother-in-law (is that confusing?) were playing in area, and we came to dinner, as Betsy’s BiL’s BiL went to Juilliard with her. Cal had made a trip to Arthur Avenue, and we had calamari, bruschetta, broccoli rabe, chopped salad, caprese, cheese ravioli with sage butter, chittara spaghetti with vongole, and more. There was fun and wine:
2012 Lancyre Rose
Nice Provencal style pink, full bodied and ripe, herby and redfruited. B+/B

2012 Lenotti Bardolino rose
Soft, flabby, not a lot to incite interest here. C+/C

2011 Box o Birds Sauvignon Blanc
Grass, gooseberry, ok length, not too exciting but drinkable B-

2008 Kistler “Hyde” Chardonnay
Not my usual style, lots of power and oak, but to its credit there is noticable acidity and even a hint of minerality, I like more than the Kistler PNs. B-

1995 Montevertine Il Sodaccio
Mature and classic, dried cherry fruit with leather and smoke. Tannins resolved, acids still lively, fruit still fruitful. Some forest floor/mushroom with time, but holds up well over couple hours. A-

Monday turkey “tenderloin” in a cumin/lime/coriander rub with yogurt sauce and salad, but focus of the meal was a ramp risotto. Wine was the 2010 Cowan Cellars “Isa” Sauvignon Blanc, quite nice, very full, good crispness, tropical fruit with citrus peel and mineral. Nice length. Pretty sure I wouldn’t guess SB blind. B+

Grade disclaimer: I'm a very easy grader, basically A is an excellent wine, B a good wine, C mediocre. Anything below C means I wouldn't drink at a party where it was only choice. Furthermore, I offer no promises of objectivity, accuracy, and certainly not of consistency.
Posted to alt.food.wine

On Apr 30, 2:12*pm, DaleW > wrote:
> [...]
>
> 1995 Montevertine Il Sodaccio
> Mature and classic, dried cherry fruit with leather and smoke. Tannins resolved, acids still lively, fruit still fruitful. Some forest floor/mushroom with time, but holds up well over couple hours. A-
>
> Monday turkey “tenderloin” in a cumin/lime/coriander rub with yogurt sauce and salad, but focus of the meal was a ramp risotto. Wine was the 2010 Cowan Cellars “Isa” Sauvignon Blanc, quite nice, very full, good crispness, tropical fruit with citrus peel and mineral. Nice length. Pretty sure I wouldn’t guess SB blind. B+
>
> Grade disclaimer: I'm a very easy grader, basically A is an excellent wine, B a good wine, C mediocre. Anything below C means I wouldn't drink at a party where it was only choice. Furthermore, I offer no promises of objectivity, accuracy, and certainly not of consistency.

Thanks for the notes Dale. I'm a real fan of the Arnot-Roberts Rose.
Posted to alt.food.wine

On 4/30/13 2:12 PM, DaleW wrote:
> Tuesday was vegetarian leftovers (pasta, broccoli, etc) with the 2011
> Gonon “Les Iles Feray” VdP. Really good stuff for the price- classic
> peppery Rhone Syrah with bright black berry fruit, a little smokey
> edge, good length. B+/A-

I have to get some of that, but in all honesty I probably own more Syrah
than I should already

> Saturday started with some oysters on the half shell with leftover
> SB. Main course was an excellent lamb/lentil combo, served with the
> 2012 Lapierre “Raisins Gaulois” - hey, this actually says 2012 not
> MMXII - did they change rules re vin de table? I think 2012 is
> supposed to be a problematic vintage in Beaujolais, but neither
> Betsy nor I had any problem with this. Primary, fruity,
> straightforward honest wine. B+/B

Good to hear, Dale.

> Monday turkey “tenderloin” in a cumin/lime/coriander rub with yogurt
> sauce and salad, but focus of the meal was a ramp risotto. Wine was
> the 2010 Cowan Cellars “Isa” Sauvignon Blanc, quite nice, very full,
> good crispness, tropical fruit with citrus peel and mineral. Nice
> length. Pretty sure I wouldn’t guess SB blind. B+

I'm with you on this. It's a lovely wine (what temp did you serve at?
FLJim advised me to serve at cellar temp) and has fascinating aromatics,
none of which put me in mind of SB.

Mark Lipton

REC: Egg Foo Young-ish pancake koko General Cooking 0 08-10-2014 07:54 PM
Young and old Richard Neidich Wine 0 30-03-2009 06:22 PM
Egg Foo Young Oh Deer Recipes (moderated) 0 30-12-2006 03:25 AM
Young pu'er / Xi-Zhi Hao Nan Nuo Alex Tea 9 04-08-2006 02:09 AM
A new young one George Shirley Preserving 14 28-05-2004 11:13 AM