Posted to alt.food.wine

Default Have you ever failed to show up to a restaurant?

I have never broken a reservation - however, it appears to be a growing
problem.

The restaurant industry's battle against people who break their reservations
and cause profit losses has reached new heights.

This month, the Los Angeles restaurant Trois Mec joined a small group of
eateries around the world where patrons must pre-purchase tickets online.

Sydney chefs and restaurateurs have applauded the move, saying a ticket
system could one day appear here.

"It's a great idea, good on them, you have to pay for theatre tickets and if
you can't go you don't get a refund. I don't see the difference" one
prominent restaurateur says.

Excellent article he
http://www.goodfood.com.au/good-food...427-2il98.html

Are you one of those who fail to turn up?

Are you prepared to pre-pay?

Posted to alt.food.wine

On 4/29/13 3:38 PM, st.helier wrote:

> This month, the Los Angeles restaurant Trois Mec joined a small group of
> eateries around the world where patrons must pre-purchase tickets online.
>
> Sydney chefs and restaurateurs have applauded the move, saying a ticket
> system could one day appear here.

Such a ticketing system was put in place by the superstar chef Grant
Achatz, who opened up his second restaurant Next in 2011 with that
design: tickets are prepurchased on the Web and no refund is available.
In return, prices are held down to about 50-75% of what one would
normally pay (no reservations staff, no cancellations, etc.)

> Are you one of those who fail to turn up?
>
> Are you prepared to pre-pay?

I can't recall ever failing to honor a reservation, though I have had to
cancel a few owing to emergencies of various sorts, and yes I am
prepared to prepay.

¡Viva la revolucíon!
Mark Lipton

Posted to alt.food.wine

On 4/29/2013 4:54 PM, Mark Lipton wrote:
> On 4/29/13 3:38 PM, st.helier wrote:
>
>> This month, the Los Angeles restaurant Trois Mec joined a small group of
>> eateries around the world where patrons must pre-purchase tickets online.
>>
>> Sydney chefs and restaurateurs have applauded the move, saying a ticket
>> system could one day appear here.

> Such a ticketing system was put in place by the superstar chef Grant
> Achatz, who opened up his second restaurant Next in 2011 with that
> design: tickets are prepurchased on the Web and no refund is available.
> In return, prices are held down to about 50-75% of what one would
> normally pay (no reservations staff, no cancellations, etc.)
>

>> Are you one of those who fail to turn up?
>>
>> Are you prepared to pre-pay?

> I can't recall ever failing to honor a reservation, though I have had to
> cancel a few owing to emergencies of various sorts, and yes I am
> prepared to prepay.
>
> ¡Viva la revolucíon!
> Mark Lipton

I think I can safely say that I have never cancelled a reservation
without phoning the restaurant. However, I object to a financial penalty
unless the restaurant also guarantees seating me within 15 minutes of
the reserved time and will compensate me otherwise.

--
Jim Silverton (Potomac, MD)

Extraneous "not." in Reply To.
Posted to alt.food.wine

On 4/29/2013 3:38 PM, st.helier wrote:
> I have never broken a reservation - however, it appears to be a growing
> problem.
>
> The restaurant industry's battle against people who break their
> reservations and cause profit losses has reached new heights.

> Are you one of those who fail to turn up?
>
> Are you prepared to pre-pay?

Jules Verne in the Tour Eiffel has had such a policy for at least a few
years though my clients got their money back as the air conditioning
wasn't working and the maitre d' admitted he would leave if he could.
--
Joseph Coulter

Posted to alt.food.wine

On Monday, April 29, 2013 12:38:27 PM UTC-7, st.helier wrote:
> I have never broken a reservation - however, it appears to be a growing
>
> problem.
>

> The restaurant industry's battle against people who break their reservations
>
> and cause profit losses has reached new heights.
>

> This month, the Los Angeles restaurant Trois Mec joined a small group of
>
> eateries around the world where patrons must pre-purchase tickets online.
>

> Sydney chefs and restaurateurs have applauded the move, saying a ticket
>
> system could one day appear here.
>

> "It's a great idea, good on them, you have to pay for theatre tickets and if
>
> you can't go you don't get a refund. I don't see the difference" one
>
> prominent restaurateur says.
>

> Excellent article he
>
> http://www.goodfood.com.au/good-food...427-2il98.html
>

> Are you one of those who fail to turn up?
>

> Are you prepared to pre-pay?

Never failed to show. Nobody is good enough to pre-pay. Where would my guarantee be if I didn't like it or wasn't seated promptly?

Posted to alt.food.wine

On Monday, April 29, 2013 10:11:58 PM UTC-4, lleichtman wrote:
> On Monday, April 29, 2013 12:38:27 PM UTC-7, st.helier wrote:
>
> > I have never broken a reservation - however, it appears to be a growing

> > problem.

> > The restaurant industry's battle against people who break their reservations

> > and cause profit losses has reached new heights.

> > This month, the Los Angeles restaurant Trois Mec joined a small group of

> > eateries around the world where patrons must pre-purchase tickets online.

> > Sydney chefs and restaurateurs have applauded the move, saying a ticket

> > system could one day appear here.

> > "It's a great idea, good on them, you have to pay for theatre tickets and if

> > you can't go you don't get a refund. I don't see the difference" one

> > prominent restaurateur says.

> > Excellent article he

> > http://www.goodfood.com.au/good-food...427-2il98.html

> > Are you one of those who fail to turn up?

> > Are you prepared to pre-pay?

> Never failed to show. Nobody is good enough to pre-pay. Where would my guarantee be if I didn't like it or wasn't seated promptly?

If you didn't like it that would mean you wouldn't pay? I've paid for plenty of meals I didn't like.
We prepay for LOTS of things. Don't know of any Broadway show, opera, sought-after concert ticket etc I didn't pay in advance for.
If you are concerned about being seated promptly, prepaying would leave to less overbooking, and should reduce wait times. Certainly a penalty for restaurant not seating promptly (if one showed promptly) would be reasonable.
I can see zero downside for prepayment from anyone who actually always shows up

Posted to alt.food.wine

On Mon, 29 Apr 2013 19:11:58 -0700, lleichtman wrote:

>> Are you prepared to pre-pay?

> Never failed to show. Nobody is good enough to pre-pay. Where would my
> guarantee be if I didn't like it or wasn't seated promptly?

First of all, if you buy theatre tickets you can typically cancel with no
charge more than 24 hours ahead.

I've never "just not shown up" either, it's elementary politeness to
call. In fact we did just last week when forced to cancel a dinner with
friends.

But I don't want to prepay either, or make a deposit. It complicates the
entire affair, and would lessen the pleasure, maybe by undermining the
illusion that the restaurant is the host, and is actually glad to welcome
the guests...

But I've had several restaurateurs in Paris tell me that a lot of
tourists make 4 or 5 reservations, and then just go to the one that's the
most conveniently located. So you can really see where the problem is.
None the less no one has asked for a deposit yet, although it's common
practice to ask for a phone # (and not give you a reservation if you
don't give one).

--
Questions about wine? Check the FAQ. http://winefaq.cwdjr.net
Posted to alt.food.wine

On Apr 29, 3:38*pm, "st.helier" > wrote:
> I have never broken a reservation - however, it appears to be a growing
> problem.
>
> The restaurant industry's battle against people who break their reservations
> and cause profit losses has reached new heights.
>
> This month, the Los Angeles restaurant Trois Mec joined a small group of
> eateries around the world where patrons must pre-purchase tickets online.
>
> Sydney chefs and restaurateurs have applauded the move, saying a ticket
> system could one day appear here.
>
> "It's a great idea, good on them, you have to pay for theatre tickets and if
> you can't go you don't get a refund. I don't see the difference" one
> prominent restaurateur says.
>
> Excellent article hehttp://www.goodfood.com.au/good-food...urant-rules-bu...
>
> Are you one of those who fail to turn up?
>
> Are you prepared to pre-pay?

It has happened to me on rare occasions but I always phoned the
restaurant. I can see plus and minus issues but I'm not a total fan
of the concept.
Posted to alt.food.wine

On Monday, April 29, 2013 7:53:06 PM UTC-7, DaleW wrote:
> On Monday, April 29, 2013 10:11:58 PM UTC-4, lleichtman wrote:
>
> > On Monday, April 29, 2013 12:38:27 PM UTC-7, st.helier wrote:

> > > I have never broken a reservation - however, it appears to be a growing

> > > problem.

> > > The restaurant industry's battle against people who break their reservations

> > > and cause profit losses has reached new heights.

> > > This month, the Los Angeles restaurant Trois Mec joined a small group of

> > > eateries around the world where patrons must pre-purchase tickets online.

> > > Sydney chefs and restaurateurs have applauded the move, saying a ticket

> > > system could one day appear here.

> > > "It's a great idea, good on them, you have to pay for theatre tickets and if

> > > you can't go you don't get a refund. I don't see the difference" one

> > > prominent restaurateur says.

> > > Excellent article he

> > > http://www.goodfood.com.au/good-food...427-2il98.html

> > > Are you one of those who fail to turn up?

> > > Are you prepared to pre-pay?

> > Never failed to show. Nobody is good enough to pre-pay. Where would my guarantee be if I didn't like it or wasn't seated promptly?

> If you didn't like it that would mean you wouldn't pay? I've paid for plenty of meals I didn't like.
>
> We prepay for LOTS of things. Don't know of any Broadway show, opera, sought-after concert ticket etc I didn't pay in advance for.
>
> If you are concerned about being seated promptly, prepaying would leave to less overbooking, and should reduce wait times. Certainly a penalty for restaurant not seating promptly (if one showed promptly) would be reasonable..
>
> I can see zero downside for prepayment from anyone who actually always shows up

When I was younger, I worked in restaurants. I took reservations. We had an expectation of a 10% no show rate. We lived with it. I find it rude behavior but it isn't my job to punish rude behavior. There are no guarantees for a business that deals with the public and prepaying for a reservation would tell me to go somewhere else.