Posted to alt.food.wine

Default [OT] RIP Ed Rasimus

By way of total chance, I was watching the CBS news which ran a short
feature on the pomp and ceremony attached to burials at Arlington.

Being the son of an ex-serviceman ( I attended the 70th anniversary of the
Battle of Alamein in Egypt this past October - and who intends attending the
70th anniversary commemorations at Monte Cassino in Italy next May) just
seeing the respect afforded to ex-service people at Arlington was a
wonderful sight.

Rest in peace Ed

Posted to alt.food.wine

st.helier wrote:
> By way of total chance, I was watching the CBS news which ran a short
> feature on the pomp and ceremony attached to burials at Arlington.
>
> Being the son of an ex-serviceman ( I attended the 70th anniversary of
> the Battle of Alamein in Egypt this past October - and who intends
> attending the 70th anniversary commemorations at Monte Cassino in Italy
> next May) just seeing the respect afforded to ex-service people at
> Arlington was a wonderful sight.
>
> Rest in peace Ed

Apropos of that observation, I don't recall if I related this story to
you in person. During our stay in Christchurch, we ventured down to the
remnants of the Central Business District to go shopping in a makeshift
outdoor shopping mall made of old shipping containers (perhaps it should
be called a shipping mall?) located just adjacent to Ballantyne's.
After spending an hour shopping and getting lunch there, we exited via
Cashel St. only to find ourselves face to face with the Bridge of
Remembrance. I was gobsmacked to see it in person and it brought me
close to tears to read the names of those Canterburians lost in the
Battle of Gallipoli, where so many ANZAC soldiers fell. Especially
juxtaposed on the rubble and destruction of the earthquakes, it sent the
message that every generation has its tragedies to contend with.

Mark Lipton

[OT] RIP Ed Rasimus DaleW Wine 0 26-03-2013 03:39 PM
Pinging Ed Rasimus in Texas Dick R. Wine 2 13-09-2008 10:19 PM
Welcome back Ed Rasimus! Dick R. Wine 0 23-12-2005 02:10 AM
Pssst! Ed Rasimus... Tom S Wine 0 27-07-2004 04:42 AM