Posted to alt.food.wine

Default Can a wine cure depression? (with apologies for a bit of a ramble!)

I have not been well lately €“ a truck & trailer tipped and spilled its 30
ton load of logs on the road in front of the vehicle I was driving. The car
was something of a write-off - and so was I.

Physical wounds (broken arm; busted shoulder etc.) can be fixed, but the
emotional scars €“ the loss of the €śconfidence of invincibility€ť do not
readily heal. In all my 66 years (and I have been through my share of
illness) I have never experienced depression €“ but for the past couple
months I have truly been €śthe sad man, behind blue eyes€ť

Ten days ago, everything came to a head €“ I lost two very good friends, both
a couple years younger than I, on the same day (deaths totally unrelated).

I seriously dislike funerals where the collective grief pervades like a fog:
I usually choose to excuse myself. However, both these funerals were "must
attends" and both proved uplifting. The first was a traditional "tangi" to
farewell a respected member of the Maori community, the second service, 24
hours later, was an amazing celebration of a life well lived by a
larger-than-life businessman.

My spirits lifted, on my way home, I made a decision - that my current life
of misery was a waste of emotion. I decided that my "rebirth" would be
celebrated with a very simple €śfeast for one€ť.

I settled upon a piece of aged scotch fillet (boneless rib-eye to
Americans) €“ rubbed with evo oil, black pepper and sea salt, pan fried,
served with asparagus and freshly prepared potato salad.

I am not one who does notes or reviews €“ I enjoy the savouring and love
closing my eyes remembering the nuances and flavours of a wonderful wine,
but find it difficult to put these thoughts into words.

I do not possess a dedicated wine cellar €“ the few bottles I have collected
I keep in an insulated €śchilly bin€ť.

2-3 three years ago, I did a favour for an associate, which saved his sons
job (we unionists can be very persuasive :-) As a €śthank you€ť I was
presented with a single bottle of Italian wine, at the time, unknown to me:
when I originally saw the word €śCasanova€ť on the label, I thought €śuh huh€ť!

But there is nothing €śuh huh€ť about 2001 Casanova di Neri Brunello di
Montalcino Cerretalto.

I did not decant: I started the first glass while preparing my meal, I had
the last a little over two hours later (yes, I consumed the entire contents
alone, with a DVD of Pete Townsend, Roger Daltry et al for company)

Was this an epiphany? No! More a symphony with so many elements - ripe
berryfruit / cherry flavours; unobtrusive tannins, decent acid with some
wonderful subtle spicy nuances (during that last glass, while laying back in
a sort of splendid stupor I even €śgot€ť roasted coffee bean, dipped in dark
chocolate!)

Was this the best wine I have ever had? I don't know - my memory is not
that good. But this would rank right there as one of the most memorable red
wines (I do particularly recall a 1990 Dom. Santa Duc €śHaute Garriques€ť
Gigondas).

I am not suggesting that Sangiovese possesses some miraculous restorative
qualities €“ but next day, I ventured to the beach for my first swim of 2013
(hey, it is summer here downunder), and have also since returned to work.

My neck and shoulder are still painful €“ but the associated gloom and doom
has gone.

Thank you signore Neri €“ your wonderful wine has brought me back from the
edge.

Posted to alt.food.wine

In message >
"st.helier" > wrote:

> [...]

> wonderful subtle spicy nuances (during that last glass, while laying back in
> a sort of splendid stupor I even ”got• roasted coffee bean, dipped in dark
> chocolate!)

> Was this the best wine I have ever had? I don't know - my memory is not
> that good. But this would rank right there as one of the most memorable red
> wines (I do particularly recall a 1990 Dom. Santa Duc ”Haute Garriques•
> Gigondas).

> I am not suggesting that Sangiovese possesses some miraculous restorative
> qualities — but next day, I ventured to the beach for my first swim of 2013
> (hey, it is summer here downunder), and have also since returned to work.

> My neck and shoulder are still painful — but the associated gloom and doom
> has gone.

> Thank you signore Neri — your wonderful wine has brought me back from the

I am sure I speak for everybody when I say firstly how sorry I am that
you have had one of those patches which do seem to occur, even in the
luckiest of lives, from time to time. Much as I would love to believe
the reverse, I suspect it is not the wine which has cured, or at least
substantially lifted, your depression but your determination to try to
move out of the misery. That having been said I do remember last year
drinking a bottle of Figeac 1990 on the first anniversary of my
mother‘s death and finding the memory of how much she had enjoyed
sharing other bottles of the same case to be a cheering, rather than
sorrow-making, experience so perhaps wine can help at least.

May I wish you every joy of your recovery from this bad period, both
in body and in spirit and offer my sincere hopes that this year will
be better for you. (PS Speaking professionally I hope you have good
advice as to the accident; to an English lawyer it sounds to be one of
those rare beasts — a cast iron case.)

Tim Hartley
Posted to alt.food.wine

On 3/8/2013 2:09 AM, st.helier wrote:
> [...]
> with some wonderful subtle spicy nuances (during that last glass, while
> laying back in a sort of splendid stupor I even €śgot€ť roasted coffee
> bean, dipped in dark chocolate!)
>
> Was this the best wine I have ever had? I don't know - my memory is not
> that good. But this would rank right there as one of the most memorable
> red wines (I do particularly recall a 1990 Dom. Santa Duc €śHaute
> Garriques€ť Gigondas).
>
> I am not suggesting that Sangiovese possesses some miraculous
> restorative qualities €“ but next day, I ventured to the beach for my
> first swim of 2013 (hey, it is summer here downunder), and have also
> since returned to work.
>
> My neck and shoulder are still painful €“ but the associated gloom and
> doom has gone.
>
> Thank you signore Neri €“ your wonderful wine has brought me back from

More than just sorry to hear of your accident! I've always appreciated
your advice on New Zealand wine and also the guide you once sent me.

All I can say is, Get Well Soon!

--
Jim Silverton (Potomac, MD)

Extraneous "not" in Reply To.
Posted to alt.food.wine

Andrew, Are we going to have to arrange a group expedition to the
Antipodes to coordinate your rescue? It would be a noble undertaking.
Never the less you seem to be recovering on your own so perhaps the
expedition might be placed in abeyance. As to the depression curative
powers of wine-it is not the wine but the man who rises from adversity,
the wine merely helps to reaffirm the goodness of life.

For what it is worth 1990 Gigondas is a high order to fill, there was
some might fine Rhone wine produced from 88 to 90. What we all wouldn't
give to get those bottles back for a reprise.

Take care. We will arrange for a mass singing of the Internationale in
your honor :-)

If ever we get back to your lovely country (and home to that man without
a country-Country star Keith Urban) we hope to find you fully recovered,
I want another shot a dinner at A Deco even if it won't be the bargain
we last enjoyed.

Joe and Bev

> Thank you signore Neri €“ your wonderful wine has brought me back from
> the edge.

Posted to alt.food.wine

On Fri, 08 Mar 2013 08:35:22 -0500, jcoulter
> wrote:

> Take care. We will arrange for a mass singing of the Internationale in
> your honor :-)

I'm missing the reference here, but he doesn't sound like a prisoner
of starvation to me.

And Andrew, I'll add my good wishes for a speedy recovery.

--
Ken Blake

Posted to alt.food.wine

On Friday, March 8, 2013 12:09:25 AM UTC-7, st.helier wrote:
> [...]
>
> wonderful subtle spicy nuances (during that last glass, while laying back in
>
> a sort of splendid stupor I even “got” roasted coffee bean, dipped in dark
>
> chocolate!)
>

> Was this the best wine I have ever had? I don't know - my memory is not
>
> that good. But this would rank right there as one of the most memorable red
>
> wines (I do particularly recall a 1990 Dom. Santa Duc “Haute Garriques”
>
> Gigondas).
>

> I am not suggesting that Sangiovese possesses some miraculous restorative
>
> qualities – but next day, I ventured to the beach for my first swim of 2013
>
> (hey, it is summer here downunder), and have also since returned to work.
>

> My neck and shoulder are still painful – but the associated gloom and doom
>
> has gone.
>

> Thank you signore Neri – your wonderful wine has brought me back from the

Hope you stayed away from the great whites. Loved your country. One of the most beautiful places I have ever been.
Posted to alt.food.wine

On Friday, March 8, 2013 9:25:56 AM UTC-7, lleichtman wrote:
> [...]

> > chocolate!)

> > Was this the best wine I have ever had? I don't know - my memory is not

> > that good. But this would rank right there as one of the most memorable red

> > wines (I do particularly recall a 1990 Dom. Santa Duc “Haute Garriques”

> > Gigondas).

> > I am not suggesting that Sangiovese possesses some miraculous restorative

> > qualities – but next day, I ventured to the beach for my first swim of 2013

> > (hey, it is summer here downunder), and have also since returned to work.

> > My neck and shoulder are still painful – but the associated gloom and doom

> > has gone.

> > Thank you signore Neri – your wonderful wine has brought me back from the

> > edge.

> Hope you stayed away from the great whites. Loved your country. One of the most beautiful places I have ever been.

And sorry to hear about your unfortunate run of bad luck. May that be all.
Posted to alt.food.wine

On Friday, March 8, 2013 5:32:28 AM UTC-5, Tim Hartley wrote:

> I am sure I speak for everybody when I say firstly how sorry I am that
>
> you have had one of those patches which do seem to occur, even in the
>
> luckiest of lives, from time to time. Much as I would love to believe
>
> the reverse, I suspect it is not the wine which has cured, or at least
>
> substantially lifted, your depression but your determination to try to
>
> move out of the misery.

Tim summed up more eloquently than I could. I'm sorry for your travails and losses, but glad things have looked up a little. Thanks for thoughts on the wine, and good wishes for a full recovery.
Posted to alt.food.wine

On Fri, 08 Mar 2013 08:42:37 -0800, DaleW wrote:

> On Friday, March 8, 2013 5:32:28 AM UTC-5, Tim Hartley wrote:
>>
>> I am sure I speak for everybody when I say firstly how sorry I am that
>>
>> you have had one of those patches which do seem to occur, even in the
>>
>> luckiest of lives, from time to time. Much as I would love to believe
>>
>> the reverse, I suspect it is not the wine which has cured, or at least
>>
>> substantially lifted, your depression but your determination to try to
>>
>> move out of the misery.

> Tim summed up more eloquently than I could. I'm sorry for your travails
> and losses, but glad things have looked up a little. Thanks for thoughts
> on the wine, and good wishes for a full recovery.

Ditto from here, I hope you've already witnessed the brink of happier
times.

--
Questions about wine? Check the FAQ. http://winefaq.cwdjr.net
Posted to alt.food.wine

On 3/8/2013 11:17 AM, Ken Blake wrote:
> On Fri, 08 Mar 2013 08:35:22 -0500, jcoulter
> > wrote:
>
>> Take care. We will arrange for a mass singing of the Internationale in
>> your honor :-)

> I'm missing the reference here, but he doesn't sound like a prisoner
> of starvation to me.

a bit of a jibe at His Lordship the Union Boss.

Posted to alt.food.wine

On Fri, 08 Mar 2013 17:03:41 -0500, jcoulter
> wrote:

> On 3/8/2013 11:17 AM, Ken Blake wrote:
> > On Fri, 08 Mar 2013 08:35:22 -0500, jcoulter
> > > wrote:
> >
> >> Take care. We will arrange for a mass singing of the Internationale in
> >> your honor :-)

> > I'm missing the reference here, but he doesn't sound like a prisoner
> > of starvation to me.
> >

> a bit of a jibe at His Lordship the Union Boss.

Thanks. I didn't know he was a union boss. It's much easier to
understand now. So perhaps he's not just a prisoner of starvation, but
also among the wretched of the earth (yes, I know the song, but mostly
because of my father, not because of my own views).

--
Ken Blake
Posted to alt.food.wine

On Fri, 08 Mar 2013 17:34:17 -0700, Ken Blake >
wrote:

> On Fri, 08 Mar 2013 17:03:41 -0500, jcoulter
> > wrote:
>
> > On 3/8/2013 11:17 AM, Ken Blake wrote:
> > > On Fri, 08 Mar 2013 08:35:22 -0500, jcoulter

> > > I'm missing the reference here, but he doesn't sound like a prisoner
> > > of starvation to me.
> > >

> > a bit of a jibe at His Lordship the Union Boss.

> Thanks. I didn't know he was a union boss. It's much easier to
> understand now. So perhaps he's not just a prisoner of starvation, but
> also among the wretched of the earth (yes, I know the song, but mostly
> because of my father, not because of my own views).

And, if you'll forgive my further off-topic post, I'm reminded of the
book I liked very much,"A Fine Old Conflict" (her mishearing of the
words "a Final Conflict" in the song) by Jessica Mitford.

--
Ken Blake
Posted to alt.food.wine

On 3/8/2013 5:32 AM, Tim Hartley wrote:
> (PS Speaking professionally I hope you have good
> advice as to the accident; to an English lawyer it sounds to be one of
> those rare beasts — a cast iron case.)

Trom what I understand NZ has about abolished the tort as a personal
cause of action in favor of the state. If you are injured in NZ (at
least as a visitor) and you get care your rights to sue are transfered
tothe government who are empowered to sue first of all for their losses
and secondly for any derivative recovery on the part of the injured.This
is definitely not the US where a cup of coffee buys you a piece of
McDonalds.
Posted to alt.food.wine

Thumbs up to that!
Anders

"DaleW" wrote in message

On Friday, March 8, 2013 5:32:28 AM UTC-5, Tim Hartley wrote:

> I am sure I speak for everybody when I say firstly how sorry I am that
>
> you have had one of those patches which do seem to occur, even in the
>
> luckiest of lives, from time to time. Much as I would love to believe
>
> the reverse, I suspect it is not the wine which has cured, or at least
>
> substantially lifted, your depression but your determination to try to
>
> move out of the misery.

Tim summed up more eloquently than I could. I'm sorry for your travails and
losses, but glad things have looked up a little. Thanks for thoughts on the
wine, and good wishes for a full recovery.

Posted to alt.food.wine

Default Many thanks - plus OT request

"jcoulter" wrote .........

> From what I understand NZ has about abolished the tort as a
> personal cause of action in favor of the state. If you are injured in

< NZ (at least as a visitor) and you get care your rights to sue are
> transferred to the government who are empowered to sue first of all for
> their losses and secondly for any derivative recovery on the part of the
> injured.This is definitely not the US where a cup of coffee buys you a
> piece of McDonalds.

You are close, Joe.

State owned Accident Compensation Corporation is the sole and compulsory
provider of accident insurance for all work and non-work injuries, for
residents and visitors alike.

When the scheme was set up back in 1974, the individual lost the right to
sue.

In my case, medical costs have been covered and loss of income for the time
off work has been covered.

The car was a leased vehicle (covered by insurance) so, monetarily speaking,
I have suffered no personal loss.

Many thanks to all for your best wishes - I drink to your good health (say
he trying desperately to get something wine related into the post to provide
a modicum of on-topic discussion)

I do have a request - for advice.

As the northern hemisphere swings towards spring, we downunder are being
warned of the dangers of an influenza epidemic this coming winter.

For us in the older age bracket, we are being offered free influenza shots.

I have never been so immunised in the past, but because of my "tender"
disposition of late, I am considering being jabbed this year.

As health issues in northern climes often transport themselves south, can
anyone within this forum advise - Just how bad was influenza "up there" this
past winter.

Part of me says I have never needed them in the past - leave well alone, but
there is this niggling doubt that, if things are bad, then I would be
foolish not to avail myself of this free offering.

Anyone in wine-land with any experiences you can share?

Again, thanks for the kind wishes.

st.helier

Posted to alt.food.wine

On 3/10/2013 4:01 PM, st.helier wrote:

> Part of me says I have never needed them in the past - leave well alone,
> but there is this niggling doubt that, if things are bad, then I would
> be foolish not to avail myself of this free offering.
>
> Anyone in wine-land with any experiences you can share?
>
> Again, thanks for the kind wishes.
>
> st.helier

I have once again thought about and failed to get a flu shot. So far it
hasn't affected my life. There was a lot of it going around in December
and with my daily contact with kids in high school (at least this year
it has bee that way) I did have a fear of getting it and thought it
might happen, but it passed. Some of us are just too pig headed to take
the help offered . . . but so far, like you, I have been safe.

just my .02 JC
Posted to alt.food.wine

On Sunday, March 10, 2013 4:54:19 PM UTC-6, jcoulter wrote:
> On 3/10/2013 4:01 PM, st.helier wrote:
>

> > Part of me says I have never needed them in the past - leave well alone,

> > but there is this niggling doubt that, if things are bad, then I would

> > be foolish not to avail myself of this free offering.

> > Anyone in wine-land with any experiences you can share?

> > Again, thanks for the kind wishes.

> > st.helier

> I have once again thought about and failed to get a flu shot. So far it
>
> hasn't affected my life. There was a lot of it going around in December
>
> and with my daily contact with kids in high school (at least this year
>
> it has bee that way) I did have a fear of getting it and thought it
>
> might happen, but it passed. Some of us are just too pig headed to take
>
> the help offered . . . but so far, like you, I have been safe.
>

> just my .02 JC

I do recommend the influenza and I sometimes play at being a physician.
Posted to alt.food.wine

"st.helier" > wrote in message
> I do have a request - for advice.
>
> As the northern hemisphere swings towards spring, we downunder are being
> warned of the dangers of an influenza epidemic this coming winter.
>
> For us in the older age bracket, we are being offered free influenza
> shots.
>
> I have never been so immunised in the past, but because of my "tender"
> disposition of late, I am considering being jabbed this year.
>
> As health issues in northern climes often transport themselves south, can
> anyone within this forum advise - Just how bad was influenza "up there"
> this past winter.
>
> Part of me says I have never needed them in the past - leave well alone,
> but there is this niggling doubt that, if things are bad, then I would be
> foolish not to avail myself of this free offering.

Get it!!!
An otherwise healthy lady died here from H1N1 this winter and the vaccine
included this as well as a couple of others. I started getting it every
winter about 4 years ago (I'm 69). Like you, I usually went many, many years
without being affected but, due to the looming financial year end, I am
usually overloaded with work and can't afford to take the time off.
Incidentally, and this is anecdotal, I've known people who have had the flu
and are so depressed afterwards that they have had to get medical help.
Graham

Posted to alt.food.wine

On Sun, 10 Mar 2013 18:54:19 -0400, jcoulter
> wrote:

>On 3/10/2013 4:01 PM, st.helier wrote:
>

>> Part of me says I have never needed them in the past - leave well alone,
>> but there is this niggling doubt that, if things are bad, then I would
>> be foolish not to avail myself of this free offering.
>>
>> Anyone in wine-land with any experiences you can share?
>>
>> Again, thanks for the kind wishes.
>>
>> st.helier

>I have once again thought about and failed to get a flu shot. So far it
>hasn't affected my life. There was a lot of it going around in December
>and with my daily contact with kids in high school (at least this year
>it has bee that way) I did have a fear of getting it and thought it
>might happen, but it passed. Some of us are just too pig headed to take
>the help offered . . . but so far, like you, I have been safe.
>
>just my .02 JC

Just to be clear about j's reference to the Mcdonalds lawsuit over hot
coffee. Most people dont really know the facts or reason why we need
to have the right to sue an punish big corporations.
Probably the most famous "frivolous lawsuit" example of all time. No
doubt you've heard of the lady that sued McDonald's because she
spilled some hot coffee in her lap while driving. What a moron! you
might have thought. How stupid do you have to be to not know coffee is
hot? Americans these days! Blaming everyone but themselves for their
mistakes!

Via autotribute.com
"This is all your fault, coffee!"

It turns out there's a lot more to the story. First of all, the hot
coffee wasn't just uncomfortable and embarrassing, it gave her third
degree burns over six percent of her body, which required ****ing skin
grafts. You can see the burns yourself if you're not squeamish.

Secondly, coffee served at that temperature (180 to 190 degrees
Fahrenheit) will give a person third-degree burns in two to seven
seconds, while home-coffee brewers normally serve coffee at much lower
temperatures (130 two 140 degrees) which won't immediately burn you.
Yes, Starbucks and other joints do serve coffee at the hotter
temperatures -- because some customers prefer it -- but then again,
they get sued for it also. Thirdly, she attempted to settle for
$20,000 at one point, and McDonald's refused, which is when she
started getting cranky.

Getty
"Not my problem."

You may have heard that she got millions of dollars, when the final
award was $640,000. Then from that you take out the medical bills
(hint: skin grafts aren't cheap).

But she has to take some responsibility, right? She may not have been
driving, but she was trying to open the lid in her lap so she could
add cream and sugar. That's kind of careless, isn't it? Why couldn't
the jury see that?

Well, they did. That's why the compensatory damages portion ($200,000)
was reduced by 20 percent, because they ruled it was 20 percent her
fault.

Imagine if paternity tests could be ruled that way.

Even the Stella Awards website -- a site dedicated to rooting out
silly lawsuits and named after Stella Liebeck herself as the symbol of
what's wrong with our justice system -- admits all these facts are
true.

So if you still want to argue about it, you have to admit this case
isn't the joke most people play it off as in email forwards and
know-it-all water cooler lectures.
Posted to alt.food.wine

beautiful post! my cure to depression was this amazing brunello di montalcino http://www.lucedellavite.com/en-us/home.aspx

Il giorno venerdě 8 marzo 2013 08:09:25 UTC+1, st.helier ha scritto:
> [...]
>
> wonderful subtle spicy nuances (during that last glass, while laying back in
>
> a sort of splendid stupor I even “got” roasted coffee bean, dipped in dark
>
> chocolate!)
>

> Was this the best wine I have ever had? I don't know - my memory is not
>
> that good. But this would rank right there as one of the most memorable red
>
> wines (I do particularly recall a 1990 Dom. Santa Duc “Haute Garriques”
>
> Gigondas).
>

> I am not suggesting that Sangiovese possesses some miraculous restorative
>
> qualities – but next day, I ventured to the beach for my first swim of 2013
>
> (hey, it is summer here downunder), and have also since returned to work.
>

> My neck and shoulder are still painful – but the associated gloom and doom
>
> has gone.
>

> Thank you signore Neri – your wonderful wine has brought me back from the

Senior Member

Location: Foat Wuth

Quote:
Originally Posted by st.helier[_3_] View Post
[...]

Wow..great story. Cant wait for Chapter two and sound like you had some good groceries and vino going on there. Your opening thesis is surely on target. Wine is for those who are sick:

1 Timothy 5:23
Drink no longer water, but use a little wine for thy stomach's sake and thine often infirmities.

Or who are heavy of heart. Depressed.

Proverbs 31:6
Give strong drink unto him that is ready to perish, and wine unto those that be of heavy hearts.

Now to really shake depression takes putting on the Garment of Praise.

Isaiah 61:3
To appoint unto them that mourn in Zion, to give unto them beauty for ashes, the oil of joy for mourning, the garment of praise for the spirit of heaviness; that they might be called trees of righteousness, the planting of the Lord, that he might be glorified.

The Lord does not permit doom and gloom to enter His Presence when we are in a praise and thanksgiving mode. Best of fortunes on the recovery from the accident. I knew those logging trucks were hazardous.