Posted to alt.food.wine

Default TN: Burgundy, Calabria, Nahe, Champagne, Oc, Trentino, NM

Friday started with a glass of the 2011 Donnhoff Oberhauser Leistenberg Riesling Kabinett. Citrus (lime), green apple, full mouthfeel, vibrant acids, good length. B+

Dinner was leftover cassoulet and red cabbage, with the 2007 Chandon de Briailles “Ile de Vergelesses” Pernand-Vergelesses 1er. Crisp and zesty, with cranberry and raspberry fruit, smoke, and coffee notes. Good acids, light tannins, fresh and fun. Really an overachiever. B+/A-

Saturday was roast chicken with herb butter, broccoli, and pain perdu with a mushroom sauce, cooking and dinner wine was the 2010 Carillon Bourgogne Blanc. Good acids, lemon and pear, hint of hazelnut, nice wine. B+

Sunday we went to a dinner party at home of some friends, appetizers were a bit Mad Men era- I did rumaki, Nancy made parmesan/onion/mayo toasts that she said she remembered from childhood (60s). Also a bit of my pate, plus prosciutto/melon./balsamic, and olives and salami.

NV Lallier rose
Delicate, sweet cherries and orange zest, quite nice. B+

NV Gruet Brut
Is this correct? Apple cidery, sweet edge, I usually like Gruet for the price but this is simple and soft. C+/C

There was a salad with jicama & orange
2010 Terrazze Della Luna Pinot Grigio Trentino
Very light, but decent acids, green plum and lemon, ok as something of a palate cleanser. B-/C+

Main course was a fish stew, kind of a cioppino style (with a little anise edge from some sambuca).

2006 Jean Noel Gagnard “Caillerets” Chassange-Montrachet
No pox here, but lots of 2006ness. Tropical, rich, a bit on the fat side. Big, full, and long, but needs more zip to be classic. B

2006 Nicale Brunello di Montalcino
Modernista BdM, lots of oak, good acids though, rather plush, but not really Sangiovese like much less Brunello-like. B-

No wine Monday, we had pizza before I took a college group around city. Tuesday was littleneck clams & pasta, tofu with peanut sauce, and arugula salad

2011 JP Brun Beaujolais Blanc
Apples, peach, a bit of chalk. I thought 2011 was supposed to be a fairly high acid vintage in Beaujolais, but this seems to have a little pudge, good but not my favorite vintage. B/B-

2011 Lafage “Novellum” Chardonnay (VdP d’Oc)
Rounder Chard fruit, a little cheesy, a bit flat, this was really just a cooking wine -clean enough for that, and who’s complaining at $6. . C+

Tonight Betsy made chicken in vinegar as well as potato/carrot gnocchi in a butter/sage/parmesan sauce and a salad. Wine was the 2008 A Vita Ciro Rosso Classico, interesting wine. Bright cherry with a hint of darker fruits, no apparent oak, fairly floral nose good acids, some light tannins. Well priced and I’ll get more. B+/B

wine, B a good wine, C mediocre. Anything below C means I wouldn't drink at a
party where it was only choice. Furthermore, I offer no promises of
objectivity, accuracy, and certainly not of consistency.
Senior Member

Location: Foat Wuth

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaleW View Post
[...]

I like Franzia Chillable Red in the big cardboard box. Have you ever evaluated that one? It seems to have hints of Oak and tannins and wild cheeries..a summer breeze and other sublte nuances such as that. Let me know. Thanks.
Posted to alt.food.wine

On Wed, 6 Mar 2013 19:27:33 -0800 (PST), DaleW >
wrote:

> Also a bit of my pate, plus prosciutto/

Great! <vbg>

--
Ken Blake
Posted to alt.food.wine

On 3/6/13 10:27 PM, DaleW wrote:

> Dinner was leftover cassoulet and red cabbage, with the 2007 Chandon
> de Briailles “Ile de Vergelesses” Pernand-Vergelesses 1er. Crisp and
> zesty, with cranberry and raspberry fruit, smoke, and coffee notes.
> Good acids, light tannins, fresh and fun. Really an overachiever.
> B+/A-

Very interesting, Dale. From your note, I would say that you don't see
any problems with drinking it now. Given CdB's reputation for making
fairly backward wines, and the bigger nature of this cuvée, I'm a bit
surprised at how open and approachable it seems. Are you going to put
your other bottles away for the long haul? Should I try opening one of
mine sooner rather than later?

> 2011 JP Brun Beaujolais Blanc Apples, peach, a bit of chalk. I
> thought 2011 was supposed to be a fairly high acid vintage in
> Beaujolais, but this seems to have a little pudge, good but not my
> favorite vintage. B/B-

That's odd. I was pretty underwhelmed by the '10, too, which seemed a
bit round and plush for my tastes. Is there a pattern here?

Mark Lipton

Posted to alt.food.wine

On Thursday, March 7, 2013 3:14:55 PM UTC-5, Ken Blake wrote:

> > Also a bit of my pate, plus prosciutto/

> Great! <vbg>

Corrections always appreciated!

Posted to alt.food.wine

On Thursday, March 7, 2013 3:34:54 PM UTC-5, Mark Lipton wrote:
> > Very interesting, Dale. From your note, I would say that you don't see

> any problems with drinking it now. Given CdB's reputation for making
> fairly backward wines, and the bigger nature of this cuvée, I'm a bit
> surprised at how open and approachable it seems. Are you going to put
> your other bottles away for the long haul? Should I try opening one of
> mine sooner rather than later?

I ruahed notes a bit. That's what the Donnhoff was for- the red was pretty tight, I put in decanter about 6 PM and ate about 7:45, wine was best after 9 (and good next day). I wouldn't hestitate to age. But it drank well with air. In my limited experience, most CdB except Corton and the biggest Volnay & Pommard 1er don't shut down as hard as best CdN. But that's instinct not survey.

Re Brub- Looking at my notes I liked one bottle of 2010 and thought other off. Can't imagine JP changed vinification practices, but it is odd.