Posted to alt.food.wine

Default TN: slew of Savigny

Mark invited me to fill in with a wine tasting group with a long history as he hosted this month. Nice group, we tasted blind (but not for long)

First flight:
I was pretty sure #1 and #2 were Pinot Noir, but #3 threw me for a bit.

Wine #1
Red fruit, good acids, floral, nice length.
2010 Pavelot “ Narbontons” Savigny-les-Beaune 1er
B+/A-

Wine #2
Lightest, red currant and cherry fruit, quite pleasant.
2009 Pavelot Savigny-les-Beaune

Wine #3
Easily the funkiest of the bunch. Ripe, big, meat, leather and a bit o’ barnyard. Perplexing, I was thinking more Rhonish, but as it got some air Burgundy became a better bet. Really developed nicely in glass.
2009 Pavelot “Serpentieres “ Savigny-les-Beaune 1er
B+/A-

After flight, Mark revealed that entire tasting would be Savigny (he wanted to point out the value)

Flight 2
Bottles still covered, thought we knew now was Savigny, I thought #5 was from a much riper vintage than other 2, but apparently Mark had already said all 2009 while I was daydreaming.

Wine #4
Delicate, lacy, the most feminine wine of the night.
2009 Drouhin “Clos des Godeaux” Savigny-les-Beaune
A-/B+

Wine #5
A touch bretty, some oak notes, quite soft and flat compared to other wines of the evening, needs acids;
2009 Bouchard “Lavieres” Savigny-les-Beaune 1er
B-/C+

Wine # 6
Full, ripe, a bit tannic, clearly needs time.
2009 Jadot “Dominode” Savigny-les-Beaune 1er B+

Last flight was fully revealed
1995 Ecard “ Narbontons” Savigny-les-Beaune 1er
Just a touch of brett, meaty, lots of floral notes, I liked more than the table. A-/B+

1995 Ecard “Serpentieres “ Savigny-les-Beaune 1er
Served a little cold as it was a replacement for a corked bottle. Nice balance, pretty fruit, good length. A-/B+

1990 Ecard “Serpentieres “ Savigny-les-Beaune 1er
Wow, this was beautiful. Round and ripe but with no hint of roasted notes, earth and mushroom, an unusual little iodine note that was faint enough to add complexity but not detract at all. Mark said best Savigny he’s ever had, who am I to argue? A/A-

Fun night. Mark finished by passing a 2008 Niepoort single quinta port, which I neglected to note details on but thought quite good.

wine, B a good wine, C mediocre. Anything below C means I wouldn't drink at a
party where it was only choice. Furthermore, I offer no promises of
objectivity, accuracy, and certainly not of consistency.
Posted to alt.food.wine

oops, NarbAntons, of course
Posted to alt.food.wine

On 2/26/13 11:18 AM, DaleW wrote:
> Mark invited me to fill in with a wine tasting group with a long
> history as he hosted this month. Nice group, we tasted blind (but not
> for long)

<SNIP>

Wow, nice lineup of wines, Dale. Savigny has become our "go-to" region
in the Cote D'Or (along with Pernand-Vergelesses) for value and style.
I love those old Ecard wines, though now I'm down to just one bottle of
2002 Jarrons. Pavelot's wines are great, as are CdB and Rollin. I also
have a couple bottles of Camus-Bruchon Narbantons, but haven't yet tried
anything from that producer.

Mark Lipton

TN: savigny les beaune Emery Davis[_3_] Wine 8 01-09-2015 02:11 PM
TN: slew of Burlotto, great Saves and Beaucastel, other nice wines DaleW Wine 1 14-10-2013 06:48 PM
[TN] '02 Ecard Savigny Narbantons Mark Lipton[_1_] Wine 0 30-06-2012 03:11 AM
TN: Sancerre and Savigny DaleW Wine 0 10-05-2009 06:53 PM
Evangile and a Savigny Markus Wine 4 03-11-2004 02:49 PM