FoodBanter.com

-   -   worst match I can remember (https://www.foodbanter.com/wine/422690-worst-match-i-can.html)

Emery Davis` 07-02-2013 11:08 PM

worst match I can remember

After a rather nice 2010 St Just Coulee St Cyr (lemon and grapefruit,
vanilla custard, apricots with nice length and very refreshing) to go
with a fried sea bass on a bed of wheat, I put out a couple of cheeses.
The camembert, not very ripe, worked fine. But on a whim I had picked up
an undistinguished looking Munster...

The worst ever. It turned the wine into detergent, bleachy overtones.
Absolutely undrinkable. Oddly the cheese by itself was OK, but together:
wow.

-E

--
Questions about wine? Check the FAQ. http://winefaq.cwdjr.net

DaleW 08-02-2013 03:38 AM

worst match I can remember

On Thursday, February 7, 2013 6:08:28 PM UTC-5, Emery Davis` wrote:
> After a rather nice 2010 St Just Coulee St Cyr (lemon and grapefruit,
>
> vanilla custard, apricots with nice length and very refreshing) to go
>
> with a fried sea bass on a bed of wheat, I put out a couple of cheeses.
>
> The camembert, not very ripe, worked fine. But on a whim I had picked up
>
> an undistinguished looking Munster...
>

> The worst ever. It turned the wine into detergent, bleachy overtones.
>
> Absolutely undrinkable. Oddly the cheese by itself was OK, but together:
>
> wow.
>

> -E
>

> --
>
> Questions about wine? Check the FAQ. http://winefaq.cwdjr.net

Chenin Blanc?
I love wine and cheese, but matches can be unpredictable. Every once in a while I try a match that makes intellectual sense, that totally doesn't work. Sorry you got "bit"

Emery Davis` 08-02-2013 10:16 AM

worst match I can remember

On Thu, 07 Feb 2013 19:38:18 -0800, DaleW wrote:

> On Thursday, February 7, 2013 6:08:28 PM UTC-5, Emery Davis` wrote:

>> an undistinguished looking Munster...
>>

>> The worst ever. It turned the wine into detergent, bleachy overtones.
>>
>> Absolutely undrinkable. Oddly the cheese by itself was OK, but
>> together:
>>
>> wow.
>>

>> -E

>> Questions about wine? Check the FAQ. http://winefaq.cwdjr.net

> Chenin Blanc?
> I love wine and cheese, but matches can be unpredictable. Every once in
> a while I try a match that makes intellectual sense, that totally
> doesn't work. Sorry you got "bit"

Chenin indeed, a nice racy one. The level of incompatibility was
historic! :) Ugh.

Say, what's with all the whitespace when you quote my post? What reader
are you using?
--
Questions about wine? Check the FAQ. http://winefaq.cwdjr.net

Mark Lipton[_1_] 08-02-2013 04:29 PM

worst match I can remember

On 2/8/13 5:16 AM, Emery Davis` wrote:

> Say, what's with all the whitespace when you quote my post? What reader
> are you using?

It's a Giggle Gropes thing, Emery. They have a problem with properly
word wrapped posts, inserting spurious CRLFs into them. OTOH, when I
try to reply to one of Dale's posts, I have to manually rewrap the
quoted text because it comes out in line lengths much longer than 80
characters. I think that the GG software must expect posts with no word
wrapping and perforce chop it into 80-char records on its own.

Mark Lipton

Emery Davis` 08-02-2013 06:33 PM

worst match I can remember

On Fri, 08 Feb 2013 11:29:09 -0500, Mark Lipton wrote:

> It's a Giggle Gropes thing, Emery. They have a problem with properly
> word wrapped posts, inserting spurious CRLFs into them. OTOH, when I
> try to reply to one of Dale's posts, I have to manually rewrap the
> quoted text because it comes out in line lengths much longer than 80
> characters. I think that the GG software must expect posts with no word
> wrapping and perforce chop it into 80-char records on its own.

Ah, that makes sense I guess. I've been using pan, it lets you manually
rewrap in when necessary. Amazing how a company with so much tech savvy
can totally screw up something so simple, and customer visible. Oh well.

cheers!

-E

--
Questions about wine? Check the FAQ. http://winefaq.cwdjr.net