FoodBanter.com

-   -   High end Christmas tasting. Arroyo Vino wines Santa Fe (https://www.foodbanter.com/wine/421796-high-end-christmas-tasting.html)

lleichtman 20-12-2012 06:14 PM

High end Christmas tasting. Arroyo Vino wines Santa Fe

A walk around tasting of mostly higher end wines with mixed results
Stag's Leap Wine Cellars 2009 Sauvignon Blanc Grassy, fair acid B
Chateau Chatgrive Bordeaux Blanc 2011 minerally high acid B
Grgich Fume Blanc 2009 off taste in the finish B-
Louro Godello 2010 very round fruit, long finish nice for $21.99 B+
Turchard Chardonnay 2011, lots of buttered popcorn, metallic finish B
Kistler Chardonnay Les Noisetiers, 2009 minerally chalky B+ but not worth the $45.99 price
Ramey, Chardonnay Hudson 2009 very typical of the Sonoma style and A- but steep at $59.99
Louis Latour, Corton-Charlemagne 2010 very light almost disappears A- but $99.99
Merry Edwards Pinot Noir Sonoma 2009 perfumed cherries and smoke A-
Beronia Rioja Gran Reserva 2005 old world must and funk B=
Villacreces, Ribiera del Duero 2006 very bright Parkerized B+
Rocca dell Macie Chianti Reserva 2003, very typical of chianti, cherries and funk B+/A- $39.99
Tignanello, 2009 cherries and chocolate, raisin finish, A- good price at $69.99
Guado al Tasso, 2008 a Bordeaux blend Super Tuscan that tastes like California B+, not worth the $99.99 price
Cordeillan-Bages, Pauillac, 2007, off year but nice drinking now A- $45.99
Clape, Cornas 2009 lot of funk, fruit short B and expensive $119.99
Stratton Lummis the Riddler, NV weird pick here candied fruit B-
Truchard, Cabernet Sauvignon, 2009, good fruit forward, B+ $29.99
Mondavi, Cabernet Sauvignon, Oakville 2006 OK wine nothing special B
Shafer, Cabernet Sauvignon, 2008, nice, tannins already resolved $73.99 A-
Opus One, 2009 $214.99 and no better than Shafer B+
Iglenook, Rubicon 2009 Coppola has bought the name, my WOTN very rich, dense, dark fruit and cocoa A but $199.99

Brought home the Pauillac, Godello, and Truchard Cab

Bi!! 20-12-2012 06:22 PM

On Dec 20, 12:14*pm, lleichtman > wrote:
> A walk around tasting of mostly higher end wines with mixed results
> Stag's Leap Wine Cellars 2009 Sauvignon Blanc Grassy, fair acid B
> Chateau Chatgrive Bordeaux Blanc 2011 minerally high acid B
> Grgich Fume Blanc 2009 off taste in the finish B-
> Louro Godello 2010 very round fruit, long finish nice for $21.99 B+
> Turchard Chardonnay 2011, lots of buttered popcorn, metallic finish B
> Kistler Chardonnay Les Noisetiers, 2009 minerally chalky B+ but not worth the $45.99 price
> Ramey, Chardonnay Hudson 2009 very typical of the Sonoma style and A- but steep at $59.99
> Louis Latour, Corton-Charlemagne 2010 very light almost disappears A- but $99.99
> Merry Edwards Pinot Noir Sonoma 2009 perfumed cherries and smoke A-
> Beronia Rioja Gran Reserva 2005 old world must and funk B=
> Villacreces, Ribiera del Duero 2006 very bright Parkerized B+
> Rocca dell Macie Chianti Reserva 2003, very typical of chianti, cherries and funk B+/A- $39.99
> Tignanello, 2009 cherries and chocolate, raisin finish, A- good price at $69.99
> Guado al Tasso, 2008 a Bordeaux blend Super Tuscan that tastes like California B+, not worth the $99.99 price
> Cordeillan-Bages, Pauillac, 2007, off year but nice drinking now A- $45.99
> Clape, Cornas 2009 lot of funk, fruit short B and expensive $119.99
> Stratton Lummis the Riddler, NV weird pick here candied fruit B-
> Truchard, Cabernet Sauvignon, 2009, good fruit forward, B+ $29.99
> Mondavi, Cabernet Sauvignon, Oakville 2006 OK wine nothing special B
> Shafer, Cabernet Sauvignon, 2008, nice, tannins already resolved *$73.99 A-
> Opus One, 2009 $214.99 and no better than Shafer B+
> Iglenook, Rubicon 2009 Coppola has bought the name, my WOTN very rich, dense, dark fruit and cocoa A but $199.99
>
> Brought home the Pauillac, Godello, and Truchard Ca

Cordellian Bages is always a good value wine in my cellar. I've
stayed there a few times....good chef and convienent to Lynch Bages
and The Baron and Comtess.

Bi!! 20-12-2012 09:06 PM

On Dec 20, 2:17*pm, Emery Davis > wrote:
> On 12/20/2012 06:22 PM, Bi!! wrote:
>
> > Cordellian Bages is always a good value wine in my cellar. * I've
> > stayed there a few times....good chef and convienent to Lynch Bages
> > and The Baron and Comtess.

> Hi Bill,
>
> In the early 90s Adele and I stayed there for a few days with close
> friends Lloyd and Allison while exploring the Medoc. *(Lloyd and I are
> old wine buddies, we used to picnic every month or so with whatever
> great bottle we could find; I remember a way too young '82 Margaux one
> spring day for around the price of the C-B today!)
>
> The wine highlight of the trip was a very deep vertical at Haut Bailly.
>
> There was a mishap at the restaurant which we still talk about
> sometimes, we had all order the "pigeon in 3 ways", something happened
> in the kitchen and there was about a 45 minute pause between each pigeon
> course. *The restaurant was pretty appalled when they realized what was
> happening, and we were all in good humor (and no hurry) so no harm was
> done. *I also have a fond recollection of the food in spite of the
> screwup... :)
>
> -E

Hi Emery-
Great recollections of a fun place! We were there in the late
90's with a dear muscian friend and his wife. After dinner one
evening we adjourned to the salon and began drinking Cremant de Limoux
with a dash of brandy in the stem of the flute (bad idea) another
guest and his wife joined us as we had toured The Baron together
earlier than day. The other guest was from a prominent Columbian
family (Escobar) and recognized my musician friend (Roger McGuinn) and
requested that Roger play a song. We had no guitar so Sr. Escobar
sent a busboy out to find a guitar. He gave the lad a couple hundred
Euros/Francs (they were just starting to convert currency) and told
him not to come back without a guitar. While the lad was out getting
the guitar Roger slipped up to his room and came down with one of his
Martin stage guitars as he was on tour at the time. The lad returned
forlorn and empty handed but Mr Escobar told him to keep the money and
just keep bringing more Cremant. At 2am the night manager apologized
that they had run out of Cremant and could he suggest something else.
Thankfully Mrs Escobar had had enough and we could adjourn to bed
after singing every song the Byrds ever recorded. The next day I only
ordered the soup.

Emery Davis[_5_] 20-12-2012 09:16 PM

Emery Davis[_5_] 21-12-2012 02:17 PM

On 12/20/2012 09:06 PM, Bi!! wrote:
> On Dec 20, 2:17 pm, Emery Davis > wrote:
>> On 12/20/2012 06:22 PM, Bi!! wrote:
>>
>>> Cordellian Bages is always a good value wine in my cellar. I've
>>> stayed there a few times....good chef and convienent to Lynch Bages
>>> and The Baron and Comtess.

>> Hi Bill,
>>
>> In the early 90s Adele and I stayed there for a few days with close
>> friends Lloyd and Allison while exploring the Medoc. (Lloyd and I are
>> old wine buddies, we used to picnic every month or so with whatever
>> great bottle we could find; I remember a way too young '82 Margaux one
>> spring day for around the price of the C-B today!)
>>
>> The wine highlight of the trip was a very deep vertical at Haut Bailly.
>>
>> There was a mishap at the restaurant which we still talk about
>> sometimes, we had all order the "pigeon in 3 ways", something happened
>> in the kitchen and there was about a 45 minute pause between each pigeon
>> course. The restaurant was pretty appalled when they realized what was
>> happening, and we were all in good humor (and no hurry) so no harm was
>> done. I also have a fond recollection of the food in spite of the
>> screwup... :)
>>
>> -E

> Hi Emery-
> Great recollections of a fun place! We were there in the late
> 90's with a dear muscian friend and his wife. After dinner one
> evening we adjourned to the salon and began drinking Cremant de Limoux
> with a dash of brandy in the stem of the flute (bad idea) another
> guest and his wife joined us as we had toured The Baron together
> earlier than day. The other guest was from a prominent Columbian
> family (Escobar) and recognized my musician friend (Roger McGuinn) and
> requested that Roger play a song. We had no guitar so Sr. Escobar
> sent a busboy out to find a guitar. He gave the lad a couple hundred
> Euros/Francs (they were just starting to convert currency) and told
> him not to come back without a guitar. While the lad was out getting
> the guitar Roger slipped up to his room and came down with one of his
> Martin stage guitars as he was on tour at the time. The lad returned
> forlorn and empty handed but Mr Escobar told him to keep the money and
> just keep bringing more Cremant. At 2am the night manager apologized
> that they had run out of Cremant and could he suggest something else.
> Thankfully Mrs Escobar had had enough and we could adjourn to bed
> after singing every song the Byrds ever recorded. The next day I only
> ordered the soup.

Fantastic! Clearly Senior was used to getting his way, it's a good
thing Roger had a guitar handy after all...

We didn't drink the place out of Cremant but we went through several
bottles during the interminable main course! Not exactly bright eyed in
the morning either. ;)

There's a good lunch spot you've probably been to also, on the D2 in
Margaux: the Lion d'Or. Young (then anyway) Benjamin of d'Angludet
recommended it to us. Another 5 course meal, one of the courses was
pigs trotters. These we pushed around the plates until they were taken
off to the disapproving glances of the waiter. He came back several
minutes later with an enormous Chef's Salad, loaded with duck, sausages,
eggs, etc, saying the Chef was concerned we wouldn't get enough food
since we didn't like the trotters, so he had prepared an extra course
for us!

Mark Lipton[_1_] 21-12-2012 04:22 PM

On 12/20/12 3:06 PM, Bi!! wrote:

> Hi Emery-
> Great recollections of a fun place! We were there in the late
> 90's with a dear muscian friend and his wife. After dinner one
> evening we adjourned to the salon and began drinking Cremant de Limoux
> with a dash of brandy in the stem of the flute (bad idea) another
> guest and his wife joined us as we had toured The Baron together
> earlier than day. The other guest was from a prominent Columbian
> family (Escobar) and recognized my musician friend (Roger McGuinn) and
> requested that Roger play a song. We had no guitar so Sr. Escobar
> sent a busboy out to find a guitar. He gave the lad a couple hundred
> Euros/Francs (they were just starting to convert currency) and told
> him not to come back without a guitar. While the lad was out getting
> the guitar Roger slipped up to his room and came down with one of his
> Martin stage guitars as he was on tour at the time. The lad returned
> forlorn and empty handed but Mr Escobar told him to keep the money and
> just keep bringing more Cremant. At 2am the night manager apologized
> that they had run out of Cremant and could he suggest something else.
> Thankfully Mrs Escobar had had enough and we could adjourn to bed
> after singing every song the Byrds ever recorded. The next day I only
> ordered the soup.

Roger McGuinn???? Bill, you really are well-connected. The Byrds were
one of my favorite bands from the '60s and I've enjoyed quite a bit of
Roger's solo work, too. Great story!

Mark Lipton

Bi!! 21-12-2012 04:49 PM

On Dec 21, 8:17*am, Emery Davis > wrote:
> [...]

> Fantastic! *Clearly Senior was used to getting his way, it's a good
> thing Roger had a guitar handy after all...
>
> We didn't drink the place out of Cremant but we went through several
> bottles during the interminable main course! *Not exactly bright eyed in
> the morning either. ;)
>
> There's a good lunch spot you've probably been to also, on the D2 in
> Margaux: the Lion d'Or. *Young (then anyway) Benjamin of d'Angludet
> recommended it to us. *Another 5 course meal, one of the courses was
> pigs trotters. *These we pushed around the plates until they were taken
> off to the disapproving glances of the waiter. *He came back several
> minutes later with an enormous Chef's Salad, loaded with duck, sausages,
> eggs, etc, saying the Chef was concerned we wouldn't get enough food
> since we didn't like the trotters, so he had prepared an extra course

Been to Lion d"Or many times...you see the most interesting vignerons
having lunch there! The eel is fantastic there as are the frites in
duck fat!

Bi!! 21-12-2012 04:51 PM

On Dec 21, 10:22*am, Mark Lipton > wrote:
> On 12/20/12 3:06 PM, Bi!! wrote:
>

> > Hi Emery-
> > * * Great recollections of a fun place! *We were *there in the late
> > 90's with a dear muscian friend and his wife. *After dinner one
> > evening we adjourned to the salon and began drinking Cremant de Limoux
> > with a dash of brandy in the stem of the flute (bad idea) another
> > guest and his wife joined us as we had toured The Baron together
> > earlier than day. *The other guest was from a prominent Columbian
> > family (Escobar) and recognized my musician friend (Roger McGuinn) and
> > requested that Roger play a song. *We had no guitar so Sr. Escobar
> > sent a busboy out to find a guitar. *He gave the lad a couple hundred
> > Euros/Francs (they were just starting to convert currency) *and told
> > him not to come back without a guitar. While the lad was out getting
> > the guitar Roger slipped up to his room and came down with one of his
> > Martin stage guitars as he was on tour at the time. *The lad returned
> > forlorn and empty handed but Mr Escobar told him to keep the money and
> > just keep bringing more Cremant. *At 2am the night manager apologized
> > that they had run out of Cremant and could he suggest something else.
> > Thankfully Mrs Escobar had had enough and we could adjourn to bed
> > after singing every song the Byrds ever recorded. *The next day I only
> > ordered the soup.

> Roger McGuinn???? *Bill, you really are well-connected. *The Byrds were
> one of my favorite bands from the '60s and I've enjoyed quite a bit of
> Roger's solo work, too. *Great story!
>
> Mark Lipton
>
> --
> alt.food.wine FAQ: *http://winefaq.cwdjr.net- Hide quoted text -

Someday I'll tell you about Dylan calling my house! LOL

st.helier[_3_] 22-12-2012 03:37 AM

High end Christmas tasting. Arroyo Vino wines Santa Fe

"Mark Lipton" wrote

> The Byrds were one of my favorite bands from the '60s
> and I've enjoyed quite a bit of Roger's solo work, too. Great story!

The band may have been around in the 1960s, Mark, but you must have been a
little fellow than????

Bi!! 22-12-2012 03:46 PM

On Dec 21, 9:37*pm, "st.helier" > wrote:
> "Mark Lipton" *wrote
>

> > The Byrds were one of my favorite bands from the '60s
> > and I've enjoyed quite a bit of Roger's solo work, too. *Great story!

> The band may have been around in the 1960s, Mark, but you must have been a
> little fellow than????

Mr Tamborine Man hit the charts in 1965