FoodBanter.com

-   -   TN: Mostly good wines (US, France, Spain) (https://www.foodbanter.com/wine/421659-tn-mostly-good-wines.html)

DaleW 12-12-2012 05:43 PM

TN: Mostly good wines (US, France, Spain)

Friday was a kale salad with a soft egg and a Pierre Franey recipe for clam sauce and fresh fettucine, and the 2010 Benaza Godello, Really satisfying for the money- sweet peachy fruit, but it’s crisp and dry on palate. Refreshing, minerally, buy again. B+

Saturday we lit the Hannukah candles at sunset, had a glass of the NV Castellroig Cava. Light, refreshing, herb and licorice over lemon. Crisp and light. Good length. B/B+

Then we went to a Nikolaus party (luckily, rain held off and temps were moderate- Roger is a German traditionalist, and the party must be outside!). Mostly cookies and mulled wine, but I carried along a bottle of the 2007 Trimbach Pinot Blanc. Sweet pit fruits, a hint of Riesling-like petrol, citrus, not especially long, but hey it was really cheap! B-

Home for latkes and “Atlanta” brisket (recipe includes Coca-Cola), wine was the
2010 Texier Cotes du Rhone (this is the basic CdR, with the busy/colorful label). Solid red fruits, good acids, light tannins, quite nice. B

Sunday we had chicken breast with soy, lime, and sesame oil, baby bok choy, some assorted leftovers, with the 2011 Terres Dorees (Brun) “Cuvee Premiere” Beaujolais. OK, I believe this is supposed to be a Beaujolais Nouveau, but it doesn’t taste like that. Moderate red fruits, but some light but apparent tannin. The confounding part is it improves on night 2 and 3. Plenty of crunchy red fruits, good acids, herb and earth. Fun stuff. B+

Recently got some corn smut from Oregon Mushrooms, and beans from Rancho Gordo, so invited some friends for meatless Monday- huitlacoche/mushroom quesadillas, vegetarian tacos (cheese, guacamole, kale). roast kabocha squash, and a vegetarian chili with Sangre de Toro beans.

NV Pinon Vouvray Brut
Sweet apples, good acids, fine mousse, beautiful for $20 bubbly. B++

2009 Descendientes de Palacios "Petalos" (Bierzo)
Red fruits, a little vanilla edge, not bad but would prefer more sense of a place than good internationally styled wine. B-

2010 Baudry Chinon
excellent length, black cherry and raspberry, earthy, good. B/B+

2009 Wind Gap Pinot Gris
Skin contact (orange) wine I assume, looks like a rose - a darker rose at that. I really didn’t like this at first- seemed austere and overly herby. But improved a lot with air - smoky, cranberry and red plum. full, long. B-/C+ day one, B on day 2.

Tuesday we had leftovers- brisket (over egg noodles that weren’t leftover), a kale stew, kabocha squash. Wine was a half bottle of the 2006 Havens Bourriquot. From 375ml this is fully mature, no real tannins left, dark slightly horsey fruit with some red kirschy stuff after some air. a bit dull. I’ve enjoyed other bottles and half-bottles of this much more. B-/C+

Grade disclaimer: I'm a very easy grader, basically A is an excellent wine, B a good wine, C mediocre. Anything below C means I wouldn't drink at a party where it was only choice. Furthermore, I offer no promises of objectivity, accuracy, and certainly not of consistency.

lleichtman 12-12-2012 11:21 PM

On Wednesday, December 12, 2012 10:43:18 AM UTC-7, DaleW wrote:
> [...]
>

> Tuesday we had leftovers- brisket (over egg noodles that weren’t leftover), a kale stew, kabocha squash. Wine was a half bottle of the 2006 Havens Bourriquot. From 375ml this is fully mature, no real tannins left, dark slightly horsey fruit with some red kirschy stuff after some air. a bit dull. I’ve enjoyed other bottles and half-bottles of this much more. B-/C+
>

> Grade disclaimer: I'm a very easy grader, basically A is an excellent wine, B a good wine, C mediocre. Anything below C means I wouldn't drink at a party where it was only choice. Furthermore, I offer no promises of objectivity, accuracy, and certainly not of consistency.

The Atlanta Brisket recipe is great. Have done it twice. Made with noodle kugel and sweet potato gratin this year and 1989 Ducru Beaucaillou.

Bi!! 13-12-2012 03:20 PM

On Dec 12, 12:43*pm, DaleW > wrote:
> [...]
>
> Tuesday we had leftovers- brisket (over egg noodles that weren’t leftover), a kale stew, kabocha squash. Wine was a half bottle of the 2006 Havens Bourriquot. From 375ml this is fully mature, no real tannins left, dark slightly horsey fruit with some red kirschy stuff after some air. a bit dull. I’ve enjoyed other bottles and half-bottles of this much more. B-/C+
>
> *Grade disclaimer: I'm a very easy grader, basically A is an excellent wine, B a good wine, C mediocre. Anything below C means I wouldn't drink at a party where it was only choice. Furthermore, I offer no promises of objectivity, accuracy, and certainly not of consistency.

I agree with your notes on the "Descendientes". I really like the
wine, good friut and concentration but it's just a tad over ripe and
soft for me. I have enjoyed it many times though. I've served it
blind at tastings a few times and it's usually mistaken for a
California Rhone blend...go figure.

santiago 13-12-2012 07:03 PM

TN: Mostly good wines (US, France, Spain)

DaleW > wrote in
:

> 2009 Wind Gap Pinot Gris
> Skin contact (orange) wine I assume, looks like a rose - a darker rose
> at that. I really didn’t like this at first- seemed austere and overly
> herby. But improved a lot with air - smoky, cranberry and red plum.
> full, long. B-/C+ day one, B on day 2.

I think I had one bottle of this... but no, it was the 2008, and I found it
really delicious. And I thought it would be the kind of wine to appeal you,
since I found it quite loiresque.

Perhaps 2008 and 2009 are different beasts! but it feels nice to have
tasted one U.S. wine that shows up in the newsgroup.

Regards,

s.

Bi!! 13-12-2012 07:18 PM

On Dec 13, 2:03*pm, santiago > wrote:
> DaleW > wrote :
>

> > 2009 Wind Gap Pinot Gris
> > Skin contact (orange) wine I assume, looks like a rose - a darker rose
> > at that. I really didn t like this at first- seemed austere and overly
> > herby. But improved a lot with air - smoky, cranberry and red plum.
> > full, long. B-/C+ *day one, B on day 2.

> I think I had one bottle of this... but no, it was the 2008, and I found it
> really delicious. And I thought it would be the kind of wine to appeal you,
> since I found it quite loiresque.
>
> Perhaps 2008 and 2009 are different beasts! but it feels nice to have
> tasted one U.S. wine that shows up in the newsgroup.
>
> Regards,
>
> s.

You make a good point Santiago regarding U.S. wines. I'm always
surprised when I travel at the lack of U.S. wines I find outside of
the U.S. I wouldn't go to France or Spain or Italy, etc. and order an
American wine to begin with (I'm usually there in the first place to
taste the local wines) but when I do find American wines they usually
tend to be the mass produced plonk coming from wine factories and not
the good artisinal wines. I found very few new world wines in Europe
in general and what I did find tended to be Aussie shiraz so they've
done a good job at marketing their wines internationally. It's
unfortunate that more of iconic new world wines don't make it our of
our hemisphere as some of them are incredibly good or at least very
interesting.

lleichtman 13-12-2012 08:51 PM

On Thursday, December 13, 2012 12:18:40 PM UTC-7, Bi!! wrote:
> On Dec 13, 2:03*pm, santiago > wrote:
>
> > DaleW > wrote :

> > > 2009 Wind Gap Pinot Gris

> > > Skin contact (orange) wine I assume, looks like a rose - a darker rose

> > > at that. I really didn t like this at first- seemed austere and overly

> > > herby. But improved a lot with air - smoky, cranberry and red plum.

> > > full, long. B-/C+ *day one, B on day 2.

> > I think I had one bottle of this... but no, it was the 2008, and I found it

> > really delicious. And I thought it would be the kind of wine to appeal you,

> > since I found it quite loiresque.

> > Perhaps 2008 and 2009 are different beasts! but it feels nice to have

> > tasted one U.S. wine that shows up in the newsgroup.

> > Regards,

> > s.

> You make a good point Santiago regarding U.S. wines. I'm always
>
> surprised when I travel at the lack of U.S. wines I find outside of
>
> the U.S. I wouldn't go to France or Spain or Italy, etc. and order an
>
> American wine to begin with (I'm usually there in the first place to
>
> taste the local wines) but when I do find American wines they usually
>
> tend to be the mass produced plonk coming from wine factories and not
>
> the good artisinal wines. I found very few new world wines in Europe
>
> in general and what I did find tended to be Aussie shiraz so they've
>
> done a good job at marketing their wines internationally. It's
>
> unfortunate that more of iconic new world wines don't make it our of
>
> our hemisphere as some of them are incredibly good or at least very
>
> interesting.

Amazingly, I found good US wines in Japan. None in Italy.

santiago 13-12-2012 09:45 PM

TN: Mostly good wines (US, France, Spain)

> I found very few new world wines in Europe

This is mostly the case in Spain, at least. Ridge is available in Spain
thanks to an importer.I also think there is an importer for Penfolds.

In Spanish supermarkets we get the likes of Yellow Tail, but fine wines
from the New World are rarely seen around here.

Probably the best European market for New World wines is the U.K., mostly
due to a demand for mass market industrial wines that have a place on the
shelves of British supermarkets.

s.

Mark Lipton[_1_] 13-12-2012 11:18 PM

On 12/13/12 4:45 PM, santiago wrote:
>> I found very few new world wines in Europe

> This is mostly the case in Spain, at least. Ridge is available in Spain
> thanks to an importer.I also think there is an importer for Penfolds.
>
> In Spanish supermarkets we get the likes of Yellow Tail, but fine wines
> from the New World are rarely seen around here.
>

> Probably the best European market for New World wines is the U.K., mostly
> due to a demand for mass market industrial wines that have a place on the
> shelves of British supermarkets.

How did you get the Wind Gap wine, Santiago? Those wines are hard to
find even within the USA.

Mark Lipton

Bi!! 14-12-2012 04:08 PM

On Dec 13, 6:18*pm, Mark Lipton > wrote:
> On 12/13/12 4:45 PM, santiago wrote:
>
> >> I found very few new world wines in Europe

> > This is mostly the case in Spain, at least. Ridge is available in Spain
> > thanks to an importer.I also think there is an importer for Penfolds.

> > In Spanish supermarkets we get the likes of Yellow Tail, but fine wines
> > from the New World are rarely seen around here.

> > Probably the best European market for New World wines is the U.K., mostly
> > due to a demand for mass market industrial wines that have a place on the
> > shelves of British supermarkets.

> How did you get the Wind Gap wine, Santiago? *Those wines are hard to
> find even within the USA.
>
> Mark Lipton
>
> --
> alt.food.wine FAQ: *http://winefaq.cwdjr.net

Good point Mark. I assumed that it was a gift or that it was picked
up during a trip.

santiago 14-12-2012 06:22 PM

TN: Mostly good wines (US, France, Spain)

> How did you get the Wind Gap wine, Santiago? Those wines are hard to
> find even within the USA.

Once upon a time, a young spaniard got a direct email from an alt.food.wine
lurker who was coming to Spain and wanted some direct insight on the
spanish wine and dining background.

Very surprisingly, one thing led to the other, and the lurker and the
spaniard became good friends, exchange emails every week, an occasional
phone call, and a vinous parcel every Christmas.

The Wind Gap was part of one of those Christmas parcels.

Isn't it great this internet thing? Now I wonder if will efectively be able
to enlarge my penis by 3 to 4 inches as suggested by one email I have just
received.

s.

Mark Lipton[_1_] 14-12-2012 06:41 PM

On 12/14/12 1:22 PM, santiago wrote:

>> How did you get the Wind Gap wine, Santiago? Those wines are hard to
>> find even within the USA.

> Once upon a time, a young spaniard got a direct email from an alt.food.wine
> lurker who was coming to Spain and wanted some direct insight on the
> spanish wine and dining background.
>
> Very surprisingly, one thing led to the other, and the lurker and the
> spaniard became good friends, exchange emails every week, an occasional
> phone call, and a vinous parcel every Christmas.
>
> The Wind Gap was part of one of those Christmas parcels.
>
> Isn't it great this internet thing? Now I wonder if will efectively be able
> to enlarge my penis by 3 to 4 inches as suggested by one email I have just
> received.

Hah! Good luck with that. I'm too busy buying replica Rolex watches
and Canadian medicines to have any time with that. Ah... the fabled afw
lurkers, long may they lurk. I recall at one point asking your advice
about Spanish wines/dining and now feel quite abashed that I haven't
mailed you any parcels. Coming from a chemist, God only knows what you
might get!

Mark Lipton

santiago 14-12-2012 09:42 PM

TN: Mostly good wines (US, France, Spain)

Mark Lipton > wrote in
:

Ah... the fabled
> afw lurkers, long may they lurk. I recall at one point asking your
> advice about Spanish wines/dining and now feel quite abashed that I
> haven't mailed you any parcels.

I did not pretend to be read like that, and I actually understand that we
all come to alt.food.wine to share some knowledge about wine. That's why I
used the world "surprisingly" in my previous message. In fact, what I said
is that the now not so young spaniard and the afw lurker "exchange" parcels
(he got 30, 32, 34, 35 and 37 this year, and if you are a true wine lover,
you should know what I am talking about). Anyway, the parcel exchange is a
fine addition, but let me say that what really makes my day is the fact
that we have kept with the weekly communication for more than 10 years.

I have met very interesting wine lovers thanks to afw... that's the really
important thing.

> Coming from a chemist, God only knows
> what you might get!

Well, I am currently watching Br Ba... so something interesting for sure.

s.

DaleW 18-12-2012 03:50 AM

On Friday, December 14, 2012 4:42:23 PM UTC-5, santiago wrote:
> Mark Lipton > wrote in
>
> :
>

> Ah... the fabled
>
> > afw lurkers, long may they lurk. I recall at one point asking your

> > advice about Spanish wines/dining and now feel quite abashed that I

> > haven't mailed you any parcels.

> I did not pretend to be read like that, and I actually understand that we
>
> all come to alt.food.wine to share some knowledge about wine. That's why I
>
> used the world "surprisingly" in my previous message. In fact, what I said
>
> is that the now not so young spaniard and the afw lurker "exchange" parcels
>
> (he got 30, 32, 34, 35 and 37 this year, and if you are a true wine lover,
>
> you should know what I am talking about). Anyway, the parcel exchange is a
>
> fine addition, but let me say that what really makes my day is the fact
>
> that we have kept with the weekly communication for more than 10 years.
>

> I have met very interesting wine lovers thanks to afw... that's the really
>
> important thing.
>

> > Coming from a chemist, God only knows

> > what you might get!

> Well, I am currently watching Br Ba... so something interesting for sure.
>

> s.

Nice story re the now friend!
I'm assuming Equipo Navazos?
The Wind Gap actually showed well on day 3

santiago 18-12-2012 06:16 PM

TN: Mostly good wines (US, France, Spain)

DaleW > wrote in
:

> Nice story re the now friend!
> I'm assuming Equipo Navazos?

Correct!

> The Wind Gap actually showed well on day 3

Planning on perhaps Wind Gap Pinot Noir Woodruff Vineyard 2008 for
Christmas Dinner.

s.