Old 10-12-2012, 10:47 PM posted to alt.food.wine

Default Fun surprise with mushrooms

I was debating whether or not to put some mushrooms on my Risotto
Milanese last night so I popped couple in my mouth to taste them. Not so
good so I opted out ofthe mushroom garnish. I then tried a sip of the
Barbera d'Asti that I had opened. I had orignally wanted to go with
Dolcetto but didn't have any. I suppose a Valpolicella might have been a
little nicer, but the real shock was the absolute horrible vinegar sour
etc taste. As per custom I had Beverly try. She said, "Yumm I like it!"
end result Barbera so so with Osso Bucco but OMG bad with off over the
hill mushrooms!

Joseph Coulter
having found my eternal september settings again!

Old 11-12-2012, 06:51 AM posted to alt.food.wine

On Monday, December 10, 2012 3:47:40 PM UTC-7, jcoulter wrote:
I was debating whether or not to put some mushrooms on my Risotto

Milanese last night so I popped couple in my mouth to taste them. Not so

good so I opted out ofthe mushroom garnish. I then tried a sip of the

Barbera d'Asti that I had opened. I had orignally wanted to go with

Dolcetto but didn't have any. I suppose a Valpolicella might have been a

little nicer, but the real shock was the absolute horrible vinegar sour

etc taste. As per custom I had Beverly try. She said, "Yumm I like it!"

end result Barbera so so with Osso Bucco but OMG bad with off over the

hill mushrooms!

Joseph Coulter

having found my eternal september settings again!

Depending on the mushrooms, you could have made yourself really sick. I'm assuming these were store bought not picked. Many bolletes can have really negative reactions with alcohol in some folks.

Old 11-12-2012, 04:19 PM posted to alt.food.wine

On 12/10/12 5:47 PM, jcoulter wrote:
I was debating whether or not to put some mushrooms on my Risotto
Milanese last night so I popped couple in my mouth to taste them. Not so
good so I opted out ofthe mushroom garnish. I then tried a sip of the
Barbera d'Asti that I had opened. I had orignally wanted to go with
Dolcetto but didn't have any. I suppose a Valpolicella might have been a
little nicer, but the real shock was the absolute horrible vinegar sour
etc taste. As per custom I had Beverly try. She said, "Yumm I like it!"
end result Barbera so so with Osso Bucco but OMG bad with off over the
hill mushrooms!

Very interesting, Joseph. That's the magic of food/wine pairing for you
;-) Did you go back to the risotto? How did the wine taste with it
senza funghi?

Mark Lipton

Old 11-12-2012, 05:21 PM posted to alt.food.wine

On 12/11/2012 07:51 AM, lleichtman wrote:
[...]

Really? I know that Boletus satanus will make you very sick, and even
more so when combined with alcohol. and there are a small handful that
are simply inedible. I can't think of another one that's particularly
reactive with alcohol.

Certainly are a lot of other somewhat poisonous mushrooms where the
effects are worsened by alcohol, though.
Old 11-12-2012, 06:08 PM posted to alt.food.wine

On Tuesday, December 11, 2012 10:21:09 AM UTC-7, Emery Davis wrote:
[...]

Some people have problems with alcohol and all bolettes.

Old 11-12-2012, 09:16 PM posted to alt.food.wine

On 2012-12-11 18:21, Emery Davis wrote:
[...]

As far as I know, B. satanas is (mildly) poisonous, regardless of
alcohol pairing (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Boletus_satanas) and
hardly edible, due to its bitter taste and putrid smell (except maybe in
very young specimens)
Now, (some) ink caps are horses of quite a different color
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Coprinopsis_atramentaria
No idea if you have them there, the shaggy one is a treat

--
Éric Lafontaine
Old 11-12-2012, 10:14 PM posted to alt.food.wine

On 12/11/2012 11:19 AM, Mark Lipton wrote:
On 12/10/12 5:47 PM, jcoulter wrote:
I was debating whether or not to put some mushrooms on my Risotto
Milanese last night so I popped couple in my mouth to taste them. Not so
good so I opted out ofthe mushroom garnish. I then tried a sip of the
Barbera d'Asti that I had opened. I had orignally wanted to go with
Dolcetto but didn't have any. I suppose a Valpolicella might have been a
little nicer, but the real shock was the absolute horrible vinegar sour
etc taste. As per custom I had Beverly try. She said, "Yumm I like it!"
end result Barbera so so with Osso Bucco but OMG bad with off over the
hill mushrooms!

Very interesting, Joseph. That's the magic of food/wine pairing for you
;-) Did you go back to the risotto? How did the wine taste with it
senza funghi?

Mark Lipton

The risotto was marvelous (I make a damn fine risotto if I say so
myself) The mushrooms were garden variety store bought buttons that were
over the hill a little bitter but the mix with the wine was off the wall
bad.

Old 11-12-2012, 11:34 PM posted to alt.food.wine

On Tuesday, December 11, 2012 2:16:11 PM UTC-7, Eric Lafontaine wrote:
On 2012-12-11 18:21, Emery Davis wrote:

[...]

We get shaggy manes every fall. They don't last long and must be cooked quickly. I make shaggy mane rellenos out of them.
Old 11-12-2012, 11:35 PM posted to alt.food.wine

On 12/11/2012 07:08 PM, lleichtman wrote:
Some people have problems with alcohol and all bolettes.

Interesting, I didn't know that, thanks.
Old 11-12-2012, 11:38 PM posted to alt.food.wine

On 12/11/2012 10:16 PM, Eric Lafontaine wrote:
As far as I know, B. satanas is (mildly) poisonous, regardless of
alcohol pairing (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Boletus_satanas) and
hardly edible, due to its bitter taste and putrid smell (except maybe in
very young specimens)

I know someone who ate it intentionally and got quite sick. Luckily
it's rare and very easy to identify.

Now, (some) ink caps are horses of quite a different color
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Coprinopsis_atramentaria
No idea if you have them there, the shaggy one is a treat

Yes, they often grow on the front lawn, although we didn't get any this
year (terrible year for cepes also).

Old 12-12-2012, 02:20 AM posted to alt.food.wine

On Tuesday, December 11, 2012 4:38:34 PM UTC-7, Emery Davis wrote:
On 12/11/2012 10:16 PM, Eric Lafontaine wrote:

As far as I know, B. satanas is (mildly) poisonous, regardless of

alcohol pairing (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Boletus_satanas) and

hardly edible, due to its bitter taste and putrid smell (except maybe in

very young specimens)

I know someone who ate it intentionally and got quite sick. Luckily

it's rare and very easy to identify.

Now, (some) ink caps are horses of quite a different color

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Coprinopsis_atramentaria

No idea if you have them there, the shaggy one is a treat

Yes, they often grow on the front lawn, although we didn't get any this

year (terrible year for cepes also).

We got almost no bolettes this year. Last year I picked 6 pounds in an hour. This year not quite a pound and it took 3 hours to find them.
Old 12-12-2012, 03:05 PM posted to alt.food.wine

On 12/12/2012 03:20 AM, lleichtman wrote:
Yes, they often grow on the front lawn, although we didn't get any
this

year (terrible year for cepes also).

We got almost no bolettes this year. Last year I picked 6 pounds in
an hour. This year not quite a pound and it took 3 hours to find
them.

Heh, must be a global phenomenon. We had the same couple to the farm
for Thanksgiving this year as last, they were convinced they'd be
bringing a huge harvest back to Paris with them; in reality, nothing.

What Boletus varieties do you find out there?
Old 12-12-2012, 11:13 PM posted to alt.food.wine

On Wednesday, December 12, 2012 8:05:35 AM UTC-7, Emery Davis wrote:
On 12/12/2012 03:20 AM, lleichtman wrote:

Yes, they often grow on the front lawn, although we didn't get any

this

year (terrible year for cepes also).

We got almost no bolettes this year. Last year I picked 6 pounds in

an hour. This year not quite a pound and it took 3 hours to find

them.

Heh, must be a global phenomenon. We had the same couple to the farm

for Thanksgiving this year as last, they were convinced they'd be

bringing a huge harvest back to Paris with them; in reality, nothing.

What Boletus varieties do you find out there?

We get king and white varieties and last year great. This year meh.

Surprise Polly Esther[_2_] General Cooking 81 26-10-2013 07:44 AM
brown button mushrooms apposed to white button mushrooms hahabogus[_3_] General Cooking 3 19-08-2009 06:36 PM
TN I like a Rheingau more than a Rhone white (surprise, surprise) DaleW Wine 11 16-09-2007 02:50 AM
Hot Dog Surprise Duckie ® Recipes 0 18-06-2005 06:09 PM
A surprise Cindy Fuller General Cooking 14 29-07-2004 05:26 AM