Posted to alt.food.wine

Default '97 Ridge "89 Las Cases

Cold rainy weekend called for a fire and dinner at home. Saturday I
grilled some Allen Brothers Colorado Lamb and opened a bottle of 1989
Ch. Leoville Las Cases. Medium garnet in the glass with a pronounced
pink at the rim. Nose of cedar and leather with background cassis and
black fruits. Less weight on the palate than expected and the balance
was beginning to shift towards the tertiary flavors and away from the
fruit. Lead pencil, a bit of leather and tobacco framed by cassis and
licorice. Firm minerality and acidity made it great with the lamb. "B
"

On Sunday Linda made a traditional pot roast with root veggies so I
opened a 1997 Ridge Montebello. Still a dark reddish purple with
aromas of blackberries, menthol and dark chocolate. I was expecting
opulent jammy fruit but instead found a really well balanced Bordeaux-
like wine. Black cherry, mint, espresso, and earthy notes. Very well
defined acidity and firm but smooth tannins. Big but not jammy or
overly oaked. "A-"
Posted to alt.food.wine

On 12/10/12 11:16 AM, Bi!! wrote:
> Cold rainy weekend called for a fire and dinner at home. Saturday I
> grilled some Allen Brothers Colorado Lamb and opened a bottle of 1989
> Ch. Leoville Las Cases. Medium garnet in the glass with a pronounced
> pink at the rim. Nose of cedar and leather with background cassis and
> black fruits. Less weight on the palate than expected and the balance
> was beginning to shift towards the tertiary flavors and away from the
> fruit. Lead pencil, a bit of leather and tobacco framed by cassis and
> licorice. Firm minerality and acidity made it great with the lamb. "B
> "
>
> On Sunday Linda made a traditional pot roast with root veggies so I
> opened a 1997 Ridge Montebello. Still a dark reddish purple with
> aromas of blackberries, menthol and dark chocolate. I was expecting
> opulent jammy fruit but instead found a really well balanced Bordeaux-
> like wine. Black cherry, mint, espresso, and earthy notes. Very well
> defined acidity and firm but smooth tannins. Big but not jammy or
> overly oaked. "A-"

That's a nice pair of wines, Bill, and I own a bottle of the latter.
Glad to gear that it's doing well, but I'll try and give mine another
decade or so so before opening.

Thanks!
Mark Lipton

Posted to alt.food.wine

On Dec 10, 12:11*pm, Mark Lipton > wrote:
> On 12/10/12 11:16 AM, Bi!! wrote:
>

> > Cold rainy weekend called for a fire and dinner at home. *Saturday I
> > grilled some Allen Brothers Colorado Lamb and opened a bottle of 1989
> > Ch. Leoville Las Cases. *Medium garnet in the glass with a pronounced
> > pink at the rim. *Nose of cedar and leather with background cassis and
> > black fruits. *Less weight on the palate than expected and the balance
> > was beginning to shift towards the tertiary flavors and away from the
> > fruit. *Lead pencil, a bit of leather and tobacco framed by cassis and
> > licorice. *Firm minerality and acidity made it great with the lamb. "B
> > "

> > On Sunday Linda made a traditional pot roast with root veggies so I
> > opened a 1997 Ridge Montebello. *Still a dark reddish purple with
> > aromas of blackberries, menthol and dark chocolate. *I was expecting
> > opulent jammy fruit but instead found a really well balanced Bordeaux-
> > like wine. *Black cherry, mint, espresso, and earthy notes. *Very well
> > defined acidity and firm but smooth tannins. *Big but not jammy or
> > overly oaked. *"A-"

> That's a nice pair of wines, Bill, and I own a bottle of the latter.
> Glad to gear that it's doing well, but I'll try and give mine another
> decade or so so before opening.
>
> Thanks!
> Mark Lipton
>
> --
> alt.food.wine FAQ: *http://winefaq.cwdjr.net- Hide quoted text -

Mark-mine was stored at 55F (I still have one OWC left) and it was
early maturity stage. I opened and decanted one hour before pouring.

Ridge 2007 "Three Valleys" zinfandel - any comments? Dick R. Wine 1 22-01-2009 10:16 PM
Cases Sibeer Wine 2 29-03-2005 04:53 AM
Cases Sibeer Wine 0 29-03-2005 04:52 AM
88 or 89 Leoville Las Cases? D. Gerasimatos Wine 1 01-01-2005 12:28 AM
TN: Pine Ridge Stag's Leap District CS and Ridge Pagani Ed Rasimus Wine 3 28-10-2003 03:15 PM