Posted to alt.food.wine

Default TN: Greater Burgundy, Rheingau, Piedmont

aturday was wineless, as we flew back to NY from GA. So I figured that meant Sunday I could open 1.5 bottles.

Starter was the 2009 Auvigne “Solutre” Pouilly-Fuisse (375). Apples, medium-soft, not much in the mineral or crispness department. C+

Dinner was poached chicken with scallions and soy/sesame/peanut oil,
rice with nori, pea shoots, mushrooms and broccoli. We opened the 2011 Coudert/Roillete “Cuvee Tardive” Fleurie. Somewhat tight, but underneath minerality shines through some raspberry and cranberry fruit. There’s a nice future ahead of this IMHO. B+/A-

Monday: dal with vegetables, brown “Basmati”, spinach salad, and some storebought appetizers (samosas, lentil fritters). Wine was the 2002 Leitz Rudesheimer Klosterlay Kabinett. Zingy and zesty, citrus and peach flavors, in a good place. B+

Tuesday artic char with a lime/garlic sauce, ww couscous, sliver snow peas, and salad. I think I’ve run out of new things to say about the 2011 Baudry Chinon rose, except it’s a good artic char match. B++

Wednesday was no wine as I had dinner at office before a board meeting. Thursday Betsy steamed some snow crab legs as an appetizer, and I opened the 2010 Paul Chapelle Bourgogne Blanc. Green apple and plum, but more stony than fruity. Good crisp acids, better with the food than on own. B

Main was spaghetti with tomato sauce and meatballs, brocollini, and salad. Wine was the 2006 Vajra “Albe” Barolo. Tannins dominate at first, but there’s plenty of raspberry and redcurrant fruit. With some air time the tannins recede, and some violet and tar aromatics peek through. Young, but not hard to drink. B+

Grade disclaimer: I'm a very easy grader, basically A is an excellent wine, B a good wine, C mediocre. Anything below C means I wouldn't drink at a party where it was only choice. Furthermore, I offer no promises of objectivity, accuracy, and certainly not of consistency.