Posted to alt.food.wine

Default [TN] Thanksgiving wines

This year, for a change, we decided to stay home and cook a Thanksgiving
dinner. Not being particular fans of turkey, we decided to roast a
goose and splurged on a D'Artagnan organic goose. With the goose, we
had a corn bread-smoked andouille stuffing for my gluten-free spouse,
cranberry chutney and goose gravy. The wines we opened we

2012 Navarro Gewurztraminer Brut was a fun wine to start with. A touch
of RS added some richness but it had the acidity to match and kept the
aromatics well in check. I haven't had enough Cremant d'Alsace to know
if it's an apt comparison. It went surprisingly well with the sides.

1995 Michel Gaunoux Pommard 1er was a fairly recent purchase from
Envoyer. It started off quite young despite my having given it a hard
decant, but showed fairly deep red fruit in the raspberry-cranberry side
of the spectrum. The goose overwhelmed it, alas. After a couple of
hours, this had really fleshed out and taken on a pronounced earthy
character and it went far better with the goose.

1990 Ch. Beaucastel was initially a tad jammy but had the blueberry
notes I associate with the high-Mourvedre cepage and took on increasing
amounts of horseblanket character as time went on. Not as overtly
Bretty as some people's have been, but certainly too Brett-inflected for
a couple of friends more attuned to New World wines.

1989 Ch. Lynch-Bages didn't scream Bordeaux to me at any point, but
could almost have been a quality CalCab. Very cedary with pencil lead
and cassis, it really didn't move either Jean or me, sad to say. The
cork on this wine was as pristine as could be, looking for all
appearances to be brand new, which was a nice testament to our passively
cooled cellar where it had lain for the past 22 years.

It was a very fun evening in our unseasonably warm November, with a few
friends who needed to blow off steam after their rather drama-filled
Thanksgivings. Our son Andrew had a blast gorging himself on the roast
goose and trying all of the various wines. He even began to shed his
picky eater status by trying (and liking) the cranberry chutney and some
berry pie for dessert. I still had no luck trying to get him to try
stuffing (which I know he would love).

Happy Thanksgiving to all at afw who celebrate it!
Mark Lipton
Posted to alt.food.wine

On Friday, November 23, 2012 3:35:55 PM UTC-5, Mark Lipton wrote:
> This year, for a change, we decided to stay home and cook a Thanksgiving
>
> dinner. Not being particular fans of turkey, we decided to roast a
>
> goose and splurged on a D'Artagnan organic goose. With the goose, we
>
> had a corn bread-smoked andouille stuffing for my gluten-free spouse,
>
> cranberry chutney and goose gravy. The wines we opened we
>

> 2012 Navarro Gewurztraminer Brut was a fun wine to start with. A touch
>
> of RS added some richness but it had the acidity to match and kept the
>
> aromatics well in check. I haven't had enough Cremant d'Alsace to know
>
> if it's an apt comparison. It went surprisingly well with the sides.
>

> 1995 Michel Gaunoux Pommard 1er was a fairly recent purchase from
>
> Envoyer. It started off quite young despite my having given it a hard
>
> decant, but showed fairly deep red fruit in the raspberry-cranberry side
>
> of the spectrum. The goose overwhelmed it, alas. After a couple of
>
> hours, this had really fleshed out and taken on a pronounced earthy
>
> character and it went far better with the goose.
>

> 1990 Ch. Beaucastel was initially a tad jammy but had the blueberry
>
> notes I associate with the high-Mourvedre cepage and took on increasing
>
> amounts of horseblanket character as time went on. Not as overtly
>
> Bretty as some people's have been, but certainly too Brett-inflected for
>
> a couple of friends more attuned to New World wines.
>

> 1989 Ch. Lynch-Bages didn't scream Bordeaux to me at any point, but
>
> could almost have been a quality CalCab. Very cedary with pencil lead
>
> and cassis, it really didn't move either Jean or me, sad to say. The
>
> cork on this wine was as pristine as could be, looking for all
>
> appearances to be brand new, which was a nice testament to our passively
>
> cooled cellar where it had lain for the past 22 years.
>

> It was a very fun evening in our unseasonably warm November, with a few
>
> friends who needed to blow off steam after their rather drama-filled
>
> Thanksgivings. Our son Andrew had a blast gorging himself on the roast
>
> goose and trying all of the various wines. He even began to shed his
>
> picky eater status by trying (and liking) the cranberry chutney and some
>
> berry pie for dessert. I still had no luck trying to get him to try
>
> stuffing (which I know he would love).
>

> Happy Thanksgiving to all at afw who celebrate it!
>
> Mark Lipton

Nice lineup, and nice dinner (and Andrew having a blast is of course best part).
The Navarro sounds intriguing.
The M. Gaunoux wines seem to demand time.
I've always really liked the '89 LB, thaough 89 is a riper vintage.
thanks for notes
Posted to alt.food.wine

On 11/24/12 8:42 AM, DaleW wrote:

> Nice lineup, and nice dinner (and Andrew having a blast is of course best part).
> The Navarro sounds intriguing.
> The M. Gaunoux wines seem to demand time.
> I've always really liked the '89 LB, thaough 89 is a riper vintage.
> thanks for notes

Yeah, the Gaunoux wasn't closed at the start, but it was fairly
backward. Speaking of which, the remains of the '89 L-B last night with
grilled, butterflied leg of lamb (the bounty of a mild Fall) was much
improved: more savory, less cedary, more like an aged Cabernet. It
still didn't have as much herbal character as I like in my Bdx, but
that's probably just Pauillac.

Mark Lipton

Posted to alt.food.wine

Default Thanksgiving wines

On Nov 26, 11:56*am, Mark Lipton > wrote:
> On 11/24/12 8:42 AM, DaleW wrote:
>
> > Nice lineup, and nice dinner (and Andrew having a blast is of course best part).
> > The Navarro sounds intriguing.
> > The M. Gaunoux wines seem to demand time.
> > I've always really liked the '89 LB, thaough 89 is a riper vintage.
> > thanks for notes

> Yeah, the Gaunoux wasn't closed at the start, but it was fairly
> backward. *Speaking of which, the remains of the '89 L-B last night with
> grilled, butterflied leg of lamb (the bounty of a mild Fall) was much
> improved: more savory, less cedary, more like an aged Cabernet. *It
> still didn't have as much herbal character as I like in my Bdx, but
> that's probably just Pauillac.
>
> Mark Lipton
>
> --
> alt.food.wine FAQ: *http://winefaq.cwdjr.net

I am a big LB fan but I never was a fan of the 1989. Personally I
preferred the 1990 which had a touch more fruit and less cedar. Nice
notes and it sounds like fun was had by all.

thanksgiving wines Joseph Coulter[_10_] Wine 0 18-11-2013 09:44 PM
Thanksgiving day wines. Bi!! Wine 7 15-11-2013 11:17 PM
NYT on Thanksgiving wines Mark Lipton[_1_] Wine 15 19-11-2007 11:51 PM
TN: (few) Thanksgiving wines DaleW Wine 1 29-11-2005 03:54 PM
Thanksgiving Wines Bill S. Wine 3 09-11-2005 04:57 PM