Posted to alt.food.wine

Default TN: Moschofilero at a new taverna

Last night we went out for our anniversary, staying local by going to MP Taverna, a new place in Irvington by Michael Psilakis, who apparently has been on some of the TV cooking shows. I started with a truly delicious octopus dish, perfectly tender with a light char touch, over a zesty chickpea salad.Betsy’s calamari came with cocktail and tzatdiki sauces, plus fried chickpeas and cauliflower. My main was a delightful grilled dourade with grilled lemon and tomatoes, accompanied by a tomato salad with haricot verts, grilled onion, and feta. Betsy has grilled branzino with fingerling potatoes,her fish was cooked well but she thought it was least exciting of dishes. She had some baklava while I had coffee.

As to wine, I’m ok with a wine list list this. About 40 selections, priced from $24 to $120, with 80% probably between $35-60. I’d guess markup is roughly 2.5X retail. So no deals, but enough to drink without feeling totally gouged. Things like Weimer Riesling, Qupe Syrah, Franus Zin, Laloue Sancerre. But best part is everything is available by half/glass, glass, 375 carafe, or bottle (except the 2 wines over $100 you have to at least get carafe).
Assuming they have a good preservation system I like that flexibility.

We got a half of a bottle of the 2010 Boutari Moschofilero for $18. Floral, good acids, lemonade in a flower garden. Nothing complex here, but a fine accompaniment to our lighter dishes, and I’m happy to be able to order half a bottle when I’m driving. B

I didn’t ask about corkage, but might have to- would be fun to try their whole animal roasts (kid, lamb, suckling pig) with a group and some good wine.

Grade disclaimer: I'm a very easy grader, basically A is an excellent wine, B a good wine, C mediocre. Anything below C means I wouldn't drink at a party where it was only choice. Furthermore, I offer no promises of objectivity, accuracy, and certainly not of consistency.