Posted to alt.food.wine

Default jargon

What is meant by texture? It's a popular term of wine reviewers.

--
Rich
Posted to alt.food.wine

On Thursday, September 27, 2012 8:57:44 PM UTC-4, RichD wrote:
> What is meant by texture? It's a popular term of wine reviewers.
>

> --
>
> Rich

I think texture in wine reviews means pretty much the same as common English- what does it feel like. Pretty much only used with modifiers- smooth texture, velvety texture, silky texture, rough texture, grainy texture. An *attempt* to describe what the wine feels like in one's mouth.
Posted to alt.food.wine

On 28/09/2012 19:35, DaleW wrote:
> On Thursday, September 27, 2012 8:57:44 PM UTC-4, RichD wrote:
>> What is meant by texture? It's a popular term of wine reviewers.
>>

>> --
>>
>> Rich

> I think texture in wine reviews means pretty much the same as common English- what does it feel like. Pretty much only used with modifiers- smooth texture, velvety texture, silky texture, rough texture, grainy texture. An *attempt* to describe what the wine feels like in one's mouth.

Quite.

High alcohol wines tend to feel more viscous, or heavier if you like.

Other physical sensations that could be described as texture are due to
astringency - from precipitation of solids as a result of the reaction
of tannins with saliva.

(Sorry Dale - accidentally sent that by email)

--
www.winenous.co.uk

jargon RichD General 6 25-03-2012 02:00 AM
jargon RichD Wine 6 25-03-2012 02:00 AM
jargon DaleW Wine 3 06-02-2011 12:52 PM
jargon RichD Wine 1 05-02-2011 02:14 PM
jargon RichD Wine 10 01-09-2009 10:22 PM