FoodBanter.com

-   -   jargon (https://www.foodbanter.com/wine/420088-jargon.html)

RichD 28-09-2012 01:57 AM

jargon

What is meant by texture? It's a popular term of wine reviewers.

--
Rich

DaleW 28-09-2012 07:35 PM

jargon

On Thursday, September 27, 2012 8:57:44 PM UTC-4, RichD wrote:
> What is meant by texture? It's a popular term of wine reviewers.
>

> --
>
> Rich

I think texture in wine reviews means pretty much the same as common English- what does it feel like. Pretty much only used with modifiers- smooth texture, velvety texture, silky texture, rough texture, grainy texture. An *attempt* to describe what the wine feels like in one's mouth.

Steve Slatcher 29-09-2012 07:58 PM

jargon

On 28/09/2012 19:35, DaleW wrote:
> On Thursday, September 27, 2012 8:57:44 PM UTC-4, RichD wrote:
>> What is meant by texture? It's a popular term of wine reviewers.
>>

>> --
>>
>> Rich

> I think texture in wine reviews means pretty much the same as common English- what does it feel like. Pretty much only used with modifiers- smooth texture, velvety texture, silky texture, rough texture, grainy texture. An *attempt* to describe what the wine feels like in one's mouth.

Quite.

High alcohol wines tend to feel more viscous, or heavier if you like.

Other physical sensations that could be described as texture are due to
astringency - from precipitation of solids as a result of the reaction
of tannins with saliva.

(Sorry Dale - accidentally sent that by email)

--
www.winenous.co.uk