FoodBanter.com

-   -   1988 Chateau Lynch Bages (https://www.foodbanter.com/wine/419574-1988-chateau-lynch-bages.html)

Bi!! 29-08-2012 06:23 PM

1988 Chateau Lynch Bages

Opened last night with grilled local lamb chops 1988 Chateau Lynch Bages. Interestingly enough I noticed that htis wine still had the original price tag on it showing a price of $28.99 which no doubt was a lot for a bottle of wine circa 1990. The wine was still perfect. Still a ruby red in the glass with just a hint of pink at the rim. Nose of cedar and mildewed wood which blew off in a few minutes and after an hour in the decanter it was frangrant with spice box, black cherry and cassis with a fair amount fo cedar notes. THe wne was smooth as silk with just a hint of tannic grip on the finish. Plenty of black fruits and cassis with tobacco and sandalwood flavors at the end. Unmistakable as LB. Nice bottle. "A"

Mark Lipton[_1_] 29-08-2012 10:17 PM

1988 Chateau Lynch Bages

On 8/29/12 1:23 PM, Bi!! wrote:
> Opened last night with grilled local lamb chops 1988 Chateau Lynch
> Bages. Interestingly enough I noticed that htis wine still had the
> original price tag on it showing a price of $28.99 which no doubt was
> a lot for a bottle of wine circa 1990. The wine was still perfect.
> Still a ruby red in the glass with just a hint of pink at the rim.
> Nose of cedar and mildewed wood which blew off in a few minutes and
> after an hour in the decanter it was frangrant with spice box, black
> cherry and cassis with a fair amount fo cedar notes. THe wne was
> smooth as silk with just a hint of tannic grip on the finish. Plenty
> of black fruits and cassis with tobacco and sandalwood flavors at the
> end. Unmistakable as LB. Nice bottle. "A"

Great note, Bill. I've really liked the '88 right bank Bdx that I've
had, including this wine some years ago. Regarding the price, though: I
recall shelling out $40 for the '86 Gruaud-Larose not long after
release, so $28.99 in 1990 for Lynch-Bages doesn't sound bad at all.

Mark Lipton

DaleW 30-08-2012 02:50 AM

1988 Chateau Lynch Bages

On Wednesday, August 29, 2012 5:18:29 PM UTC-4, Mark Lipton wrote:

> Great note, Bill. I've really liked the '88 right bank Bdx that I've
>
> had, including this wine some years ago.

Damn, they moved Pauillac? :)

Good note, Bill. I'm generally a fan of 88 (you just need to realize the style), and the 88 has shown well in tastings- it shared WOTN for me (with the 85)in a vertical tasting of all the serious vintages 1970-2001

Mark Lipton[_1_] 30-08-2012 04:46 AM

1988 Chateau Lynch Bages

DaleW wrote:
> On Wednesday, August 29, 2012 5:18:29 PM UTC-4, Mark Lipton wrote:
>> Great note, Bill. I've really liked the '88 right bank Bdx that
>> I've
>>
>> had, including this wine some years ago.

> Damn, they moved Pauillac? :)

Gah!! My dyslexic brain at work again.

Mark Lipton

Bi!! 30-08-2012 02:17 PM

1988 Chateau Lynch Bages

On Aug 29, 11:47*pm, Mark Lipton > wrote:
> DaleW wrote:
> > On Wednesday, August 29, 2012 5:18:29 PM UTC-4, Mark Lipton wrote:
> >> Great note, Bill. *I've really liked the '88 right bank Bdx that
> >> I've

> >> had, including this wine some years ago.

> > Damn, they moved Pauillac? :)

> Gah!! My dyslexic brain at work again.
>
> Mark Lipton

I figured that was a slip. Nice catch Dale! :-)

Sometimes it's hard to remember just how far wine prices have gone
until you look back. I just checked and futures price on 2010 LB is
$160. In any case the wine was good, probably won't get much better
and stylistically it's in my sweet spot.