FoodBanter.com

-   -   [TN] '08 Huet Le Mont demi-sec (https://www.foodbanter.com/wine/419567-tn-08-huet-le.html)

Mark Lipton[_1_] 29-08-2012 05:02 AM

[TN] '08 Huet Le Mont demi-sec

Tonight's dinner was a mixed grill of leftover BBQ and an improvised
salad of roasted beets, heirloom tomatoes and avocado. With this I opened:

2008 Dom. Huet Vouvray "Le Mont" demi-sec
nose: quince, a hint of guava and an earthy undertone
palate: vivid acidity, off-dry, a deep core of fruit and a certain heft
on the palate

Surprisingly, the wine worked brilliantly with the food, but would have
been just great as an aperitif regardless. Notes on the Internet
suggest that this may be shutting down, but if so it must have been
awe-inspiring earlier because it's pretty fantastic now.

Mark Lipton

cwdjrxyz 29-08-2012 07:37 AM

'08 Huet Le Mont demi-sec

On Aug 28, 11:03*pm, Mark Lipton > wrote:
> Tonight's dinner was a mixed grill of leftover BBQ and an improvised
> salad of roasted beets, heirloom tomatoes and avocado. *With this I opened:
>
> 2008 Dom. Huet Vouvray "Le Mont" demi-sec
> nose: quince, a hint of guava and an earthy undertone
> palate: vivid acidity, off-dry, a deep core of fruit and a certain heft
> on the palate
>
> Surprisingly, the wine worked brilliantly with the food, but would have
> been just great as an aperitif regardless. *Notes on the Internet
> suggest that this may be shutting down, but if so it must have been
> awe-inspiring earlier because it's pretty fantastic now.

If you have more of this wine, it would be interesting to put one
bottle under lock and key for 10-15 years and see what happens. This
wine could well fade for a few years and then develop into something
very interesting. A sweeter grade of Vouvray than demi-sec would be
more likely to improve after long storage, but a very good demi-sec,
such as some from Huet, would seem to have a fair chance of lasting
well.

santiago 29-08-2012 11:30 AM

'08 Huet Le Mont demi-sec

I am glad to read Mark's note, because I have three bottles of this very
same wine.

Huet never ceases to amaze me, the quality of their wines is so high. Even
their more modest Secs are able to improve for a decade (Clos du Bourg Sec
2004 was great a few months ago) and their Moelleux Première Trie are close
to inmortal.

s.

Bi!! 29-08-2012 03:22 PM

[TN] '08 Huet Le Mont demi-sec

On Wednesday, August 29, 2012 12:03:25 AM UTC-4, Mark Lipton wrote:
> Tonight's dinner was a mixed grill of leftover BBQ and an improvised
>
> salad of roasted beets, heirloom tomatoes and avocado. With this I opened:
>

> 2008 Dom. Huet Vouvray "Le Mont" demi-sec
>
> nose: quince, a hint of guava and an earthy undertone
>
> palate: vivid acidity, off-dry, a deep core of fruit and a certain heft
>
> on the palate
>

> Surprisingly, the wine worked brilliantly with the food, but would have
>
> been just great as an aperitif regardless. Notes on the Internet
>
> suggest that this may be shutting down, but if so it must have been
>
> awe-inspiring earlier because it's pretty fantastic now.
>

> Mark Lipton

I love these wines and thanks to you, Dale, and the good people in this group I discovered them a number of years ago.

Mark Lipton[_1_] 29-08-2012 03:59 PM

'08 Huet Le Mont demi-sec

On 8/29/12 2:37 AM, cwdjrxyz wrote:

> If you have more of this wine, it would be interesting to put one
> bottle under lock and key for 10-15 years and see what happens. This
> wine could well fade for a few years and then develop into something
> very interesting. A sweeter grade of Vouvray than demi-sec would be
> more likely to improve after long storage, but a very good demi-sec,
> such as some from Huet, would seem to have a fair chance of lasting
> well.

I do have more of it and do intend to hand on to it until it re-emerges
from its dumb phase. I also have one bottle of the '96 Clos de Bourg
Moelleux 1er Trie which I plan on opening in the twilight of my life ;-)
I don't know if you recall this, but one of my most memorable wine
experiences was drinking a bottle of the '45 Huet Le Haut Lieu Moelleux
(a gift from my wife) a couple of years ago. I need no better incentive
to let those sweeter Chenins age.

Mark Lipton