FoodBanter.com

-   -   [TN] '07 Bisceglia Aglianico del Vulture (https://www.foodbanter.com/wine/419505-tn-07-bisceglia-aglianico.html)

Mark Lipton[_1_] 25-08-2012 02:58 PM

[TN] '07 Bisceglia Aglianico del Vulture

I opened this up tonight with a dinner of eggplant parmesan made with my
latest batch of homemade tomato sauce. With this dinner, I opened:

2007 Bisceglia Aglianico del Vulture "Terre de Vulcano""
nose: initially, a bit of VA and a dead ringer for Ridge Lytton Springs
(dark berry fruit, pencil lead) becoming more open with time and picking
some cinnamon spice
palate: medium-full body, rich fruit, firm acidity, a hint of tannins

I gave this a hard decant upon opening and let it sit for 30 minutes.
Even so, it took about another 30 minutes to fully open. Jean initially
thought that it might be corked, but later revised her opinion as it
opened. Still very primary, this was very appealing in a fresh,
Zin-like way (with greater acidity) but I can't say that I was put in
mind of the "Nebbiolo of the South" as some put it.

Mark Lipton

Bi!! 27-08-2012 04:44 PM

On Aug 25, 9:58*am, Mark Lipton > wrote:
> I opened this up tonight with a dinner of eggplant parmesan made with my
> latest batch of homemade tomato sauce. *With this dinner, I opened:
>
> 2007 Bisceglia Aglianico del Vulture "Terre de Vulcano""
> nose: initially, a bit of VA and a dead ringer for Ridge Lytton Springs
> (dark berry fruit, pencil lead) becoming more open with time and picking
> some cinnamon spice
> palate: medium-full body, rich fruit, firm acidity, a hint of tannins
>
> I gave this a hard decant upon opening and let it sit for 30 minutes.
> Even so, it took about another 30 minutes to fully open. *Jean initially
> thought that it might be corked, but later revised her opinion as it
> opened. *Still very primary, this was very appealing in a fresh,
> Zin-like way (with greater acidity) but I can't say that I was put in
> mind of the "Nebbiolo of the South" as some put it.
>
> Mark Lipton

I've been liooking for a decent "eggplant parm" wine but didn't think
of Aglianico. I have a few bottles in the cellar ( not Bisceglia)
I'll give it a try. Thanks Mark.

Mark Lipton[_1_] 27-08-2012 05:35 PM

On 8/27/12 11:44 AM, Bi!! wrote:

> I've been liooking for a decent "eggplant parm" wine but didn't think
> of Aglianico. I have a few bottles in the cellar ( not Bisceglia)
> I'll give it a try. Thanks Mark.

Bill,
My own instincts were to go with a high acid white wine, but Jean
militated for a read, so the Aglianico was our compromise position. It
was fine with the dish but I didn't feel that there was any synergy
going on.

Mark Lipton

Bi!! 28-08-2012 04:14 PM

On Aug 27, 12:35*pm, Mark Lipton > wrote:
> On 8/27/12 11:44 AM, Bi!! wrote:
>
> > I've been liooking for a decent "eggplant parm" wine but didn't think
> > of Aglianico. *I have a few bottles in the cellar ( not Bisceglia)
> > I'll give it a try. *Thanks Mark.

> Bill,
> * *My own instincts were to go with a high acid white wine, but Jean
> militated for a read, so the Aglianico was our compromise position. *It
> was fine with the dish but I didn't feel that there was any synergy
> going on.
>
> Mark Lipton
>
> --
> alt.food.wine FAQ: *http://winefaq.cwdjr.net

It's a difficult match. I thought the "parm" part would drive towards
a Tuscan red but I found them too overpowering for the eggplant and
the wines took on a slightly bitter quality. My next thought is a
either a Cava or perhaps a French sparkler maybe Rose.