FoodBanter.com

-   -   [TN] Good Godello (https://www.foodbanter.com/wine/419466-tn-good-godello.html)

Mark Lipton[_1_] 23-08-2012 06:47 AM

[TN] Good Godello

(with apologies to Dale for appropriating his pun)

Toniht's dinner celebrated the bounty of our hot summer with a Caprese
salad from 3 different heirloom tomatoes (strawberry, black Krim and a
yellow-orange something) and Buffalo Mozzarella and fried chicken. With
this repast, Jean pulled out of the fridge:

2008 German Rodriguez Prada Valdeorras "Galgueira"
nose: somewhat muted, table grapes
palate: full body, melon fruit, fresh acidity, good length

This unfiltered, old-vine Godello (imported by the redoubtable Jose
Pastor) was unlike any rendition of the grape I've had so far. It had
more body and heft than the Valdesil Valdeorras that I had in Spain and
its lack of any oak influence distinguishes it from the Godeval
Valdeorras that I've had (though I haven't had their unoaked cuvée).
Jean told me that it was "the best weird white you've served me in
ages!" so this goes on the re-buy list.

Mark Lipton