Posted to alt.food.wine

Default TN: Burgs (including Beaujolais), Loire, Mosel

Betsy’s mom came in Tuesday night to help out this week, Betsy made shrimp and spinach over pasta, which we had with the 2009 Matrot Bourgogne Blanc. Matrot and Pernot are usually my go to Bourgogne Blancs, with Pernot usually a little more nervy/minerally (Pulignyesque) and Matrot more round and plummy (Meursaultish). That holds true this year, but the warm/ripeness push the Matrot close to edge for me. Sweet pit fruits, could use a little more zip. B-

Betsy had a microdiscectomy Thursday (everything went well), I was down twice but her mom stayed at Special Surgery all day. After final visit of the day, we stopped at one of the Peruvian chicken places, getting a bird, fries, avocado salad, etc. Took home and had with the 2009 Jadot Beaune 1er Cru.. This is not the 150th anniversary bottling, just the regular generic premier cru mix. Full, big, tannic, a bit clunky. Smoothed out a bit day 2, but not a rebuy for me (I look forward to the anniversary bottling). B-

Friday I brought Betsy home, dealt with one of the worst cases of “volunteer fail” in my 22 years working (um, no, if you sign up for the 18th, that does not mean going out on the night of the 17th, even if it becomes 18th after midnight), and made a grilled chicken breast salad. Wine was the 2011 Clos de la Roilette Fleurie. Balanced, easy-going, a touch of mineral on the finish, maybe not as laser-focused as some vintages, but awfully pleasant. B+/B

Saturday I made scallops with an orange/ponzu sauce, accidental mashed potatoes, and sauteed spinach. The 2005 F. Cotat “Les Culs de Beaujeau” Sancer Quite full and ripe, yet with some nervosity coursing underneath, sweet white pit fruits, citrus, long and deep. It's in a good place, and puts me in a good place. A-

Sunday I made a Chinese stirfried pork dish, rice, a salad, and tofu with a pomegranate/miso/peanut sauce, and we enjoyed the 2009 AJ Adam Hofberg Reisling (Feinherb). Classy, vibrant acids supporting nice fruit with just a hint of sugar, very nice. B+

Monday was a cold soba sesame noodle salad with vegetables, and a green salad with avocado. Wine was the 2011 Terres Dorees (JP Brun) Rose d’Folie. Sweet strawberries, nice acids, clean finish. B

Grade disclaimer: I'm a very easy grader, basically A is an excellent wine, B a good wine, C mediocre. Anything below C means I wouldn't drink at a party where it was only choice. Furthermore, I offer no promises of objectivity, accuracy, and certainly not of consistency.
Posted to alt.food.wine

Sorry to hear about Betsy's surgery, Dale. After seeing Jean's agony
last year from a pinched nerve, I hope that Betsy is free from anything
approaching that level of pain.

Best wishes,
Mark Lipton
Posted to alt.food.wine

On Tuesday, August 21, 2012 6:48:56 AM UTC-6, DaleW wrote:
> Betsy’s mom came in Tuesday night to help out this week, Betsy made shrimp and spinach over pasta, which we had with the 2009 Matrot Bourgogne Blanc. Matrot and Pernot are usually my go to Bourgogne Blancs, with Pernot usually a little more nervy/minerally (Pulignyesque) and Matrot more round and plummy (Meursaultish). That holds true this year, but the warm/ripeness push the Matrot close to edge for me. Sweet pit fruits, could use a little more zip. B-
>

> Betsy had a microdiscectomy Thursday (everything went well), I was down twice but her mom stayed at Special Surgery all day. After final visit of the day, we stopped at one of the Peruvian chicken places, getting a bird, fries, avocado salad, etc. Took home and had with the 2009 Jadot Beaune 1er Cru. This is not the 150th anniversary bottling, just the regular generic premier cru mix. Full, big, tannic, a bit clunky. Smoothed out a bit day 2, but not a rebuy for me (I look forward to the anniversary bottling). B-
>

> Friday I brought Betsy home, dealt with one of the worst cases of “volunteer fail” in my 22 years working (um, no, if you sign up for the 18th, that does not mean going out on the night of the 17th, even if it becomes 18th after midnight), and made a grilled chicken breast salad. Wine was the 2011 Clos de la Roilette Fleurie. Balanced, easy-going, a touch of mineral on the finish, maybe not as laser-focused as some vintages, but awfully pleasant. B+/B
>

> Saturday I made scallops with an orange/ponzu sauce, accidental mashed potatoes, and sauteed spinach. The 2005 F. Cotat “Les Culs de Beaujeau” Sancer Quite full and ripe, yet with some nervosity coursing underneath, sweet white pit fruits, citrus, long and deep. It's in a good place, and puts me in a good place. A-
>

> Sunday I made a Chinese stirfried pork dish, rice, a salad, and tofu with a pomegranate/miso/peanut sauce, and we enjoyed the 2009 AJ Adam Hofberg Reisling (Feinherb). Classy, vibrant acids supporting nice fruit with just a hint of sugar, very nice. B+
>

> Monday was a cold soba sesame noodle salad with vegetables, and a green salad with avocado. Wine was the 2011 Terres Dorees (JP Brun) Rose d’Folie.. Sweet strawberries, nice acids, clean finish. B
>

> Grade disclaimer: I'm a very easy grader, basically A is an excellent wine, B a good wine, C mediocre. Anything below C means I wouldn't drink at a party where it was only choice. Furthermore, I offer no promises of objectivity, accuracy, and certainly not of consistency.

Sorry to hear about Betsy. I will be in the same position next week if the neurosurgeons get going that fast.