Posted to alt.food.wine

Default TN: SOBER does Burgs, Barolos, and Vouvrays, plus a Rioja, Champagne,Pfalz, and Rhone

Monday we did a steak salad with peppers, plus corn with a lime/chili seasoning Betsy brought back from Mexico and a caprese salad. Wine was the 1998 Coudoulet de Beaucastel. This is in a good place, enough oomph remaining to stand up to the meat, but pleasant red fruit, some earth and herbs, nice finish. Totally falls apart over night, but as dinner wine B+

Tuesday was SOBER at Mike’s house. Great food and wines:

Greeting (non blind ) wine with some delicious smoked salmon and cucumber canapes was a NV from Jose Dhondt - neglected to note any nomeclature, but a very nice way to start, crisp and fresh with plenty of yeasty notes. B+

First White blind flight with gazpacho

#1-Andy nailed this with “older Chablis” in about 5 seconds. Long, beautiful,seashell and mature fruit. Great bottle 1978 Fevre “Vaudesir” Chablis Grand Cru A/A-

#2-I liked this more than some. Kind of exotic nose of mint and hazelnut, good acids, long. Got white Burgundy, but flailed at producer (my guess was Ramonet due to mintiness). 2008 Louis Carillon “Perrieres” Puligny-Montrachet 1er. B+/A-

#3-Very ripe and tropical, fat but a touch dilute, didn’t think this was white Burgundy. Once he said it was, everyone guessed 2003. Nope. Took a while to whittle down to CC. Not a great showing at all. 2008 Bonneau du Martray Corton-Charlemagne B-/C+

Second White Blind Flight with sweetbreads, asparagus, and an asparagus puree (with a single malt as secret ingredient to give smokiness)

#1-This was pretty unimpressive at first, dry and with an odd note (Craig called French’s mustard). This really blossomed in glass, all cherry and lemon candy (though totally dry) on top on mineral and nuts. Great length, concentration, precision. 1987 Lopez de Heredia “Tondonia” Rioja Gran Reserva. B on opening, A- by end.

#2- my initial favorite, full, just a touch of honied sweetness, peach and honeycomb with light citrus accents. Dan guessed Loire, I said Vouvray, then Huet. Then thinking this was familiar, I guessed 1993 Demi-Sec because it reminded me of one we had 7/4 (though Craig thought this one showed sweeter). 1993 Huet “Le Mont” Vouvray Demi-Sec B+

#3- this seemed tired with some oxidative notes, very high acids, but seemed to freshen and fill out in glass. After we knew other was 1993, I guessed 1981 Huet, but that was just social engineering as I knew Posner had sold 1981 in same offer as 1993. No tasting skill involved! 1981 Huet “Le Mont” Vouvray Demi-Sec. C+ became B+

First Red Blind Flight
#1- I didn’t recognize this as Burgundy. Someone guessed Aussie, when told French I guessed Chapoutier. Candied (someone said cough drop, pretty accurate), vanilla wood, simple , a big surprise. 2002 Faiveley “Clos du Corton” Corton C+

#2 medium bodied, fully mature, pleasant but not compelling. 1992 Damoy Chambertin Clos de Beze. B/B-

#3- fresh, needs time (someone accurately said “older than #2 by vintage, but younger”). Classy, lots of potential, I liked a lot. 1989 Jadot Chambertin Clos de Beze. B+/A-

Second Red Blind Flight with fresh Bronx figs with a great assortment from fromage.com- Roquefort, Comte, Echourgnac, and Espi du Poitou

#1-my favorite of flight (and one that tasted most Barolo-y). . Nice balance, ripe but with solid acids, floral, tarry, good length. 2000 Vietti “Rocche” Barolo. B+

#2 fully mature to me (others thought not), a little wood, I thought the fruit a little pruney, but then it seemed to fill out a bit. 1997 Ceretto/Bricco Roche “Brunate” Barolo. B

#3-some oak, dark fruits (I thought modernista Bdx at first), a bit flat. 1998 Scavino “Carobric” Barolo. B-

there was a flourless chocolate cake and (non blind) the1989 Lingenfelde Freinsheiner Goldberg Riesling Trockenbeerenauslese. Caramel, toffee, and stewed apples, I thought good but some others thought great. B

Truly fun night, interesting lineup (though the commune of Corton had an off night), good food, good company.

Grade disclaimer: I'm a very easy grader, basically A is an excellent wine, B a good wine, C mediocre. Anything below C means I wouldn't drink at a party where it was only choice. Furthermore, I offer no promises of objectivity, accuracy, and certainly not of consistency.
Posted to alt.food.wine

On Aug 15, 3:12*pm, DaleW > wrote:
> [...]
>
> #3-some oak, dark fruits (I thought modernista Bdx at first), a bit flat. 1998 Scavino “Carobric” Barolo. B-
>
> there was a flourless chocolate cake and (non blind) the1989 Lingenfelde Freinsheiner Goldberg Riesling Trockenbeerenauslese. Caramel, toffee, and stewed apples, I thought good but some others thought great. B
>
> Truly fun night, interesting lineup (though the commune of Corton had an off night), good food, good company.
>
> Grade disclaimer: I'm a very easy grader, basically A is an excellent wine, B a good wine, C mediocre. Anything below C means I wouldn't drink at a party where it was only choice. Furthermore, I offer no promises of objectivity, accuracy, and certainly not of consistency.

Thanks for the notes. I just drank a bottle of the 2008 Martray
Corton Charlie last week. I would concur with your notes and was
quite dissapointed. I had it alongside a 1997 Martray Corton Charlie
that was showing just the slightest hint of oxidization but was still
quite tasty.
Posted to alt.food.wine

Interesting tasting as usual, Dale, though I'm a bit surprised by the
modernist slant to the Barolos served. Good get on the Huets, despite
your protestations to the contrary.

Mark Lipton
Posted to alt.food.wine

On Thursday, August 16, 2012 10:33:23 AM UTC-4, Bi!! wrote:

> Thanks for the notes. I just drank a bottle of the 2008 Martray
>
> Corton Charlie last week. I would concur with your notes and was
>
> quite dissapointed. I had it alongside a 1997 Martray Corton Charlie
>
> that was showing just the slightest hint of oxidization but was still
>
> quite tasty.

I loved BdM, but the 98s and 99s had a very high PremOx rate, so leery re buying. Glad the 97 showed well
Posted to alt.food.wine

On Saturday, August 18, 2012 12:20:58 AM UTC-4, Mark Lipton wrote:
> Interesting tasting as usual, Dale, though I'm a bit surprised by the
>
> modernist slant to the Barolos served. Good get on the Huets, despite
>
> your protestations to the contrary.
>

> Mark Lipton

I'd say Mike probably has more modernista stuff (at least Italian) than anyone else in group, but nice enough flight actually.