Posted to alt.food.wine

Default Pyrazine aroma and flavor in Cabernet S.

Has that dimished over the last 10-20 years?
Posted to alt.food.wine

"aesthete8" asked of the group.................

> Has that dimished over the last 10-20 years?

Yes, definitely - and the reason is very simple.

There is a finite, tiny amount of methoxypyrazine available in the
environment for uptake into plants.

With the muchly increased plantings of Sauvignon Blanc, not only in
Marlborough NZ but other countries, trying to cash in on this varieties
newfound popularity, the uptake of methoxypyrazine in these areas mean that
reduced amounts are available elsewhere, and levels have significantly
dropped in all regions growing Cabernet Sauvignon.

Very interesting thesis here

http://www.pawinegrape.com/uploads/P...akso-Sacks.pdf

Four One

Posted to alt.food.wine

Default Attn Prof Lipton

Disappointed that you did not comment on my hypothesis

St.H

"st.helier" wrote in message ...

"aesthete8" asked of the group.................

> Has that dimished over the last 10-20 years?

Yes, definitely - and the reason is very simple.

There is a finite, tiny amount of methoxypyrazine available in the
environment for uptake into plants.

With the muchly increased plantings of Sauvignon Blanc, not only in
Marlborough NZ but other countries, trying to cash in on this varieties
newfound popularity, the uptake of methoxypyrazine in these areas mean that
reduced amounts are available elsewhere, and levels have significantly
dropped in all regions growing Cabernet Sauvignon.

Very interesting thesis here

http://www.pawinegrape.com/uploads/P...akso-Sacks.pdf

Four One

Posted to alt.food.wine

On 8/3/12 2:13 AM, st.helier wrote:
> Disappointed that you did not comment on my hypothesis

Sorry, I was too busy guffawing, milud. Methoxypyrazine, as I have no
doubt you know, is made by the plant itself, but is consumed by
processes unknown to me during the ripening process. That's why
(over)ripe Cabernet varieties lose their methoxypyrazine flavors.
Sauvignon, OTOH, seems to hang onto its longer than most, hence that
most appealing "cat's pee on gooseberry" aroma that we all know and
(some of us) love ;-)

Mark Lipton

Posted to alt.food.wine

On Wednesday, August 1, 2012 3:03:27 AM UTC-6, aesthete8 wrote:
> Has that dimished over the last 10-20 years?

I thought methoxypyrazine was the cat pee smell. Thanks Mark for confirming that.

Posted to alt.food.wine

On Jul 31, 11:03*pm, aesthete8 > wrote:
> Has that dimished over the last 10-20 years?

Thanks to all for your quick and informative replies.

I posted this topic in response to this recent article which says:

- I believe that most drinkers no longer know what a “classic”
Cabernet Sauvignon tastes like.

http://www.midweek.com/defining-a-cl...net-sauvignon/

Pyrazine/vegetal flavor aesthete8 Wine 8 16-12-2012 03:43 AM
describing tea taste/flavor/aroma & maps SN Tea 0 24-08-2008 03:28 AM
Black bread aroma/flavor question [email protected] General Cooking 16 20-10-2006 10:52 PM
Flavor Aroma of Concord Wines from Fresh Juice Kentucky Winemaking 1 20-10-2005 10:40 PM
A strong, stimulating beverage with a distinctive aroma and complex flavor Mark Coffee 0 26-11-2004 08:43 PM