FoodBanter.com

-   -   1990 Diamond Creek Lake Vineyard (https://www.foodbanter.com/wine/418948-1990-diamond-creek-lake.html)

Bi!! 19-07-2012 06:50 PM

1990 Diamond Creek Lake Vineyard

I bought a private collection of Diamond Creek many years ago with a
variety of vintages going back to 1974. Included in the collection
was a fair amount of Lake Vineyard bottlings and last night I drank my
last bottle of 1990 Diamond Creek Lake Vineyard. I was lucky to have
met and chatted with Al Brounstein on a number of occasions. Al was a
real Napa pioneer and I was pleased to have been able to listen to his
tales of founding Diamond Creek and his thought process on terroir in
the Napa Valley. I picked up some dry aged prime NY Strip steaks and
grilled them with local fresh sweet corn that I picked 15 minutes
before slightly poaching for just a few minutes. The wine was dark
reddish purple with a slight brickish cast. Very aromatic with
crushed currant and blackberry notes followed by tobacco and cedar.
The wine was mature but not old. Black fruit and earth on the palate
with cedat and leather on the edges. Rich and smooth on the finish.
Terrific "A"

Mark Lipton[_1_] 19-07-2012 07:30 PM

On 7/19/12 1:50 PM, Bi!! wrote:
> I bought a private collection of Diamond Creek many years ago with a
> variety of vintages going back to 1974. Included in the collection
> was a fair amount of Lake Vineyard bottlings and last night I drank my
> last bottle of 1990 Diamond Creek Lake Vineyard. I was lucky to have
> met and chatted with Al Brounstein on a number of occasions. Al was a
> real Napa pioneer and I was pleased to have been able to listen to his
> tales of founding Diamond Creek and his thought process on terroir in
> the Napa Valley. I picked up some dry aged prime NY Strip steaks and
> grilled them with local fresh sweet corn that I picked 15 minutes
> before slightly poaching for just a few minutes. The wine was dark
> reddish purple with a slight brickish cast. Very aromatic with
> crushed currant and blackberry notes followed by tobacco and cedar.
> The wine was mature but not old. Black fruit and earth on the palate
> with cedat and leather on the edges. Rich and smooth on the finish.
> Terrific "A"

Lovely note, Bill. Do you recall when Al Brounstein's widow posted to
this group asking about how to sell some of his wines? If so, did you
buy any of them?

Mark Lipton

Bi!! 19-07-2012 09:17 PM

On Jul 19, 2:30*pm, Mark Lipton > wrote:
> On 7/19/12 1:50 PM, Bi!! wrote:
>

> > I bought a private collection of Diamond Creek many years ago with a
> > variety of vintages going back to 1974. *Included in the collection
> > was a fair amount of Lake Vineyard bottlings and last night I drank my
> > last bottle of 1990 Diamond Creek Lake Vineyard. *I was lucky to have
> > met and chatted with Al Brounstein on a number of occasions. *Al was a
> > real Napa pioneer and I was pleased to have been able to listen to his
> > tales of founding Diamond Creek and his thought process on terroir in
> > the Napa Valley. *I picked up some dry aged prime NY Strip steaks and
> > grilled them with local fresh sweet corn that I picked 15 minutes
> > before slightly poaching for just a few minutes. *The wine was dark
> > reddish purple with a slight brickish cast. *Very aromatic with
> > crushed currant and blackberry notes followed by tobacco and cedar.
> > The wine was mature but not old. *Black fruit and earth on the palate
> > with cedat and leather on the edges. *Rich and smooth on the finish.
> > Terrific "A"

> Lovely note, Bill. *Do you recall when Al Brounstein's widow posted to
> this group asking about how to sell some of his wines? *If so, did you
> buy any of them?
>
> Mark Lipton
>
> --
> alt.food.wine FAQ: *http://winefaq.cwdjr.net- Hide quoted text -

I don't remember that Mark I'll check back through the archives. I
bought mine from a close mutual friend of Al and Boots' that lives
here in Columbus. I had bought a few cases over the years of DC
through normal distribution channels but this was a significant stash
of perfectly stored wines that were bought directly from DC in the
70's, 80's and early 90's. I drank some, sold some and gave some to
charity. I still have a couple of bottles of 1992, 1994 and 1987 Lake
left and about 2 cases of various vineyard and vintages left including
a couple magnum 3-packs which included one mag of each vineyard in a
wood case. It was through this freind that I met Boots and Al and
recieved royal treatment at DC each time we visited.

cwdjrxyz 21-07-2012 10:16 PM

On Jul 19, 12:50*pm, "Bi!!" > wrote:
> I bought a private collection of Diamond Creek many years ago with a
> variety of vintages going back to 1974. *Included in the collection
> was a fair amount of Lake Vineyard bottlings and last night I drank my
> last bottle of 1990 Diamond Creek Lake Vineyard. *I was lucky to have
> met and chatted with Al Brounstein on a number of occasions. *Al was a
> real Napa pioneer and I was pleased to have been able to listen to his
> tales of founding Diamond Creek and his thought process on terroir in
> the Napa Valley. *I picked up some dry aged prime NY Strip steaks and
> grilled them with local fresh sweet corn that I picked 15 minutes
> before slightly poaching for just a few minutes. *The wine was dark
> reddish purple with a slight brickish cast. *Very aromatic with
> crushed currant and blackberry notes followed by tobacco and cedar.
> The wine was mature but not old. *Black fruit and earth on the palate
> with cedat and leather on the edges. *Rich and smooth on the finish.
> Terrific "A"

I have never had much Diamond Creek CS, but I do find I have a single
bottle Diamond Creek Volcanic Hill 1981. The fill is still in the low
neck, the color is still very deep, and there appear to be no issues
from what little one can tell from an unopened bottle. I have stored
it properly since shortly after release. Have you tasted this wine?

Bi!! 24-07-2012 04:38 PM

On Saturday, July 21, 2012 5:16:45 PM UTC-4, cwdjrxyz wrote:
> On Jul 19, 12:50*pm, "Bi!!" > wrote:
> > I bought a private collection of Diamond Creek many years ago with a
> > variety of vintages going back to 1974. *Included in the collection
> > was a fair amount of Lake Vineyard bottlings and last night I drank my
> > last bottle of 1990 Diamond Creek Lake Vineyard. *I was lucky to have
> > met and chatted with Al Brounstein on a number of occasions. *Al was a
> > real Napa pioneer and I was pleased to have been able to listen to his
> > tales of founding Diamond Creek and his thought process on terroir in
> > the Napa Valley. *I picked up some dry aged prime NY Strip steaks and
> > grilled them with local fresh sweet corn that I picked 15 minutes
> > before slightly poaching for just a few minutes. *The wine was dark
> > reddish purple with a slight brickish cast. *Very aromatic with
> > crushed currant and blackberry notes followed by tobacco and cedar.
> > The wine was mature but not old. *Black fruit and earth on the palate
> > with cedat and leather on the edges. *Rich and smooth on the finish.
> > Terrific "A"
>
> I have never had much Diamond Creek CS, but I do find I have a single
> bottle Diamond Creek Volcanic Hill 1981. The fill is still in the low
> neck, the color is still very deep, and there appear to be no issues
> from what little one can tell from an unopened bottle. I have stored
> it properly since shortly after release. Have you tasted this wine?

I have tasted the wine (I might even have a bottle left) The vines were all reportedly planted from cuttings smuggled from First Growth Bordeaux vineyards so the wines have a very distinctive Bordeaux-like quality. If I remember correctly all of the 1981's that I tasted were quite mature with lots of tertiary components. Cedar, leather, graphite, earth and mushroom come to mind but there should still be a solid core of deep dark fruits and a firm mineral component. Volcanic Hill is perhaps the "toughest" of the Diamond Creek vineyards from a tannic level but suffice to say that it's probably ready about now.