Posted to alt.food.wine

Default [TN] Heart Attack and Vine

Today began with my 83-year-old mother, who arrived last night for a
week's visit, complaining of chest pain and belching. An hour later, at
the hospital, she had a myocardial infarction (heart attack) and is now
resting in the ICU for what will likely be a longer-than-projected stay
in our humble burg. Tonight, after a rather exhausting day, we felt the
need for a good bottle of Burgundy with some smoked duck breasts, so I
first pulled up the 1991 Albert Morot Savigny-les-Beaune 1er "La
Batellière Aux Vergelleses" which, alas, proved to be both corked and
heat damaged. Not to be thwarted, I headed back down to the cellar and
came back with:

2002 Robert Chevillon Nuits St. Georges Vieilles Vignes
nose: meaty, smoky, red cherry fruit with some minerals
palate: medium body, fully resolved tannins, high acidity

Yes!! This is what we look for in Pinot Noir. The wine had definitely
faded an hour after opening, but it was pure pleasure over the course of
its consumption and a great foil for the duck.

Mark Lipton
Posted to alt.food.wine

Mark, kindly pass on my regards and best wishes to Jean for a speedy
recovery

A B

Posted to alt.food.wine

Default Heart Attack and Vine

On Jul 14, 9:00*pm, Mark Lipton > wrote:
> Today began with my 83-year-old mother, who arrived last night for a
> week's visit, complaining of chest pain and belching. *An hour later, at
> the hospital, she had a myocardial infarction (heart attack) and is now
> resting in the ICU for what will likely be a longer-than-projected stay
> in our humble burg. *Tonight, after a rather exhausting day, we felt the
> need for a good bottle of Burgundy with some smoked duck breasts, so I
> first pulled up the 1991 Albert Morot Savigny-les-Beaune 1er "La
> Batellière Aux Vergelleses" which, alas, proved to be both corked and
> heat damaged. *Not to be thwarted, I headed back down to the cellar and
> came back with:
>
> 2002 Robert Chevillon Nuits St. Georges Vieilles Vignes
> nose: meaty, smoky, red cherry fruit with some minerals
> palate: medium body, fully resolved tannins, high acidity
>
> Yes!! This is what we look for in Pinot Noir. *The wine had definitely
> faded an hour after opening, but it was pure pleasure over the course of
> its consumption and a great foil for the duck.
>
> Mark Lipton

Mark, sorry to hear about your mom. Here is hoping for a smooth
recovery. At some point she will need a good Burgundy.
Posted to alt.food.wine

On Sat, 14 Jul 2012 23:00:59 -0400, Mark Lipton >
wrote:

> Today began with my 83-year-old mother, who arrived last night for a
> week's visit, complaining of chest pain and belching. An hour later, at
> the hospital, she had a myocardial infarction (heart attack)

Very sorry to hear that, and best of luck to her.

--
Ken Blake
Posted to alt.food.wine

On Saturday, July 14, 2012 11:00:59 PM UTC-4, Mark Lipton wrote:
> Today began with my 83-year-old mother, who arrived last night for a
> week's visit, complaining of chest pain and belching. An hour later, at
> the hospital, she had a myocardial infarction (heart attack) and is now
> resting in the ICU for what will likely be a longer-than-projected stay
> in our humble burg. Tonight, after a rather exhausting day, we felt the
> need for a good bottle of Burgundy with some smoked duck breasts, so I
> first pulled up the 1991 Albert Morot Savigny-les-Beaune 1er "La
> Batellière Aux Vergelleses" which, alas, proved to be both corked and
> heat damaged. Not to be thwarted, I headed back down to the cellar and
> came back with:
>
> 2002 Robert Chevillon Nuits St. Georges Vieilles Vignes
> nose: meaty, smoky, red cherry fruit with some minerals
> palate: medium body, fully resolved tannins, high acidity
>
> Yes!! This is what we look for in Pinot Noir. The wine had definitely
> faded an hour after opening, but it was pure pleasure over the course of
> its consumption and a great foil for the duck.
>
> Mark Lipton

Yikes, I saw title and smiled at Tom Waits reference, but smile vanished when I read post. Best wishes to your mom for a speedy recovery.
Too bad about the Morot, but the Chevillon sounds nice

Posted to alt.food.wine

On Jul 14, 10:00*pm, Mark Lipton > wrote:
> Today began with my 83-year-old mother, who arrived last night for a
> week's visit, complaining of chest pain and belching. *An hour later, at
> the hospital, she had a myocardial infarction (heart attack) and is now
> resting in the ICU for what will likely be a longer-than-projected stay
> in our humble burg.

I hope your mother is much better soon. The good thing is that the
heart attack happened in the hospital, since she can get treatment at
once, which is very important in reducing damage to the heart. Being
older than you, I have had a brother who had a heart attack(he
recovered fairly well) as well as the death of both of my parents.
There is really no way to prepare for these unhappy surprises. I dealt
with it best by keeping very busy and not thinking about things that
could not now be changed.
Posted to alt.food.wine

Our best to your Mom Mark, for a quick recovery.
Posted to alt.food.wine

On Jul 14, 11:00*pm, Mark Lipton > wrote:
> Today began with my 83-year-old mother, who arrived last night for a
> week's visit, complaining of chest pain and belching. *An hour later, at
> the hospital, she had a myocardial infarction (heart attack) and is now
> resting in the ICU for what will likely be a longer-than-projected stay
> in our humble burg. *Tonight, after a rather exhausting day, we felt the
> need for a good bottle of Burgundy with some smoked duck breasts, so I
> first pulled up the 1991 Albert Morot Savigny-les-Beaune 1er "La
> Batelli re Aux Vergelleses" which, alas, proved to be both corked and
> heat damaged. *Not to be thwarted, I headed back down to the cellar and
> came back with:
>
> 2002 Robert Chevillon Nuits St. Georges Vieilles Vignes
> nose: meaty, smoky, red cherry fruit with some minerals
> palate: medium body, fully resolved tannins, high acidity
>
> Yes!! This is what we look for in Pinot Noir. *The wine had definitely
> faded an hour after opening, but it was pure pleasure over the course of
> its consumption and a great foil for the duck.
>
> Mark Lipton

BEst wishes for a speedy recovery for your mom. Glad to were able to
enjoy a nice Burgundy!
Posted to alt.food.wine

Thanks to all of you for your well-wishes. She's doing very well and
has no long-term issues apart from having a stent in her right coronary
artery. She'll be released from the hospital tomorrow and, with luck,
be back home in California that night.

Cheers!
Mark Lipton

Member

Our body has its own defenses against free radicals, in the form of enzymes that are able to turn the hungry little sharks into harmless water. However, sometimes our body's natural defense mechanisms can't cope. spirits drinks

Last edited by JayMoses : 12-08-2012 at 02:08 PM