Posted to alt.food.wine

Default [TN] Morellino di Scansano

Jean has been experimenting with gluten-free cooking after discovering
last year that she's developed an inflammatory response to gluten.
Tonight's experiment (quite successful) was a gluten-free chicken
parmesan recipe that employs almond flour for the breading. With this,
I opened:

2004 Fattoria Le Pupille Morellino di Scansano "Poggio Valente"
nose: initially, mostly pencil lead, a hint of VA (ethyl acetate?) over
dark red fruit; later, with airing, dusty cherry
palate: high acid, medium body, moderately tannic finish

I purchased several bottles of this from Envoyer a few years ago, as
it's a birthyear wine for our son. I decided to open one up tonight in
the spirit of exploration and I must conclude that it's still a very
young wine. Any signs of its oak treatment in its youth are now visible
only as that intrusive pencil lead element that takes air to dissipate.
The rest of our bottles will sit for a few more years.

Mark Lipton
Posted to alt.food.wine

Default Morellino di Scansano

On Jul 12, 12:07*am, Mark Lipton > wrote:
> Jean has been experimenting with gluten-free cooking after discovering
> last year that she's developed an inflammatory response to gluten.
> Tonight's experiment (quite successful) was a gluten-free chicken
> parmesan recipe that employs almond flour for the breading. *With this,
> I opened:
>
> 2004 Fattoria Le Pupille Morellino di Scansano "Poggio Valente"
> nose: initially, mostly pencil lead, a hint of VA (ethyl acetate?) over
> dark red fruit; later, with airing, dusty cherry
> palate: high acid, medium body, moderately tannic finish
>
> I purchased several bottles of this from Envoyer a few years ago, as
> it's a birthyear wine for our son. I decided to open one up tonight in
> the spirit of exploration and I must conclude that it's still a very
> young wine. Any signs of its oak treatment in its youth are now visible
> only as that intrusive pencil lead element that takes air to dissipate.
> The rest of our bottles will sit for a few more years.
>
> Mark Lipton

A personal favorite Mark. I haven't noticed any VA but detected a bit
of brett but I'm one who doesn't mind a little brett.
Posted to alt.food.wine

On 7/12/12 9:56 AM, Bi!! wrote:

> A personal favorite Mark. I haven't noticed any VA but detected a bit
> of brett but I'm one who doesn't mind a little brett.

It wasn't at all off-putting, Bill. Another might just have called it
"high toned" fruit, by I didn't get a whiff of ethyl acetate (something
I recognize readily from lab).

Mark Lipton