Posted to alt.food.wine

Default TN: 4th of July Wines

We had a 4th of July party yesterday. Beastly hot (90s and humid), but at least our yard has a lot of shade, so enough people sat outside that air conditioners could keep inside cool as a respite. We were worried re thunderstorms, but they held off. Betsy and I prepared kalbi, halibut with a martini butter, chicken yakitori, hot dogs, sausage,squid/arugala salad, mango salsa, guacamole, broccoli salad, poat dot (grilled corn with a fish sauce/scallion glaze), and of course people brought lots of stuff (Jay’s cold tomato/lemongrass soup with watermelon and herbs won my DOTD award, a pasta salad with blueberries won the Strange DOTD award). Overall the wines showed well, though we didn’t open enough of them!

Bubbly
2000 Huet Vouvray Petillant
This is getting a bit creaky, apple cider and herbs, drink up. B-

2010 Bera Moscato d’Asti
Hey, just the thing for standing next to a hot grill on a hot day. Light petillance, sweet but balanced, light and slurpable. B+

NV Cantina de Sorbara Lambruscho di Sorbara
Pleasant, frothy, grapey, didn’t really sing to me on it’s own but probably pretty good with charcuterie on a picnic. B-

White
2011 Franck Peillot Chardonnay (Bugey)
Crisp, chalky, clean, this is quite good. B+/B

2001 Paolo Bea “Santa Chiara”
I found this more interesting than good, though it was more a lack of freshness compared to the 2009 than actual deterioration. B-/C+

2009 Paolo Bea “Santa Chiara”
What are chances that someone would bring another vintage of this not very commonplace wine? Herby, honied, citrus zest. Yummers! B+

1993 Huet “le Mont” Vouvray Demi-Sec
what a pleasant surprise (well, not really a surprise, but not a touted vintage). Full, honeycomb, quince, orange peel. I did discover that I liked more in AC than standing outside by grill, where it felt heavy. But inside, B+

2009 Pinon “Cuvee Tradition” Vouvray
You know, I didn’t really pay enough attention to this but it really showed well, with fresh acidity and waxy/wooly notes. B+/B

1989 Zind Humbrecht “Herrenweg de Turckheim” Gewurztraminer
This is an Olivier wine, but before he went hogwild for ripeness. Balanced, exotic, spicy, good length. B+/A-

Pink
2011 Chapoutier “Belleruche” Cotes du Rhone Rose
Simplistic, candied. C+

2011 Ravines Pinot Noir Rose (Finger Lakes)
Strawberrries, flowers, nice light rose. B

2011 Hart Wine Cellars Rose
Hey, best Steuben/Cayuga blend I ever tasted! Actually, a pretty tasty little wine, nice red fruits, musk and herbs, good acidic backbone, B

Red
2009 Clos de la Roilette Fleurie
Served well chilled, surprisingly open, black raspberry and smoke, very good. B+/B

2007 Fourrier Gevrey-Chambertin VV
Decanted a bit, showed very well, balanced, long, great for a village wine.B+

2005 Joquet “Clos du Chene Verte” Chinon
Full, herbal, rich dark fruits. Fun. Could use time, but nice now. B+

1982 Domaine de Chevalier
Some concern this might be corked, I didn’t think so, though I’m fighting remnants of a cold- to me it just had a funky edge. Elegant, mature, maybe fading a tad, but I enjoyed. B+/B

1985 Magdelaine
This made up for a so-so showing of an 1982 Sat. Nicely balanced, medium-bodied, long. Classic old style St Emilion. A-

Fun day, despite the heat. Bonus points to the intrepid city folks who made it up!

Grade disclaimer: I'm a very easy grader, basically A is an excellent wine, B a good wine, C mediocre. Anything below C means I wouldn't drink at a party where it was only choice. Furthermore, I offer no promises of objectivity, accuracy, and certainly not of consistency.

WTN: Early July wines DaleW Wine 1 08-07-2015 03:13 PM
WTN: 4th of July wines DaleW Wine 2 06-07-2008 08:22 PM
TN 4th of July wines DALE WILLIAMS Wine 3 07-07-2007 03:23 AM
4th of July wines Lawrence Leichtman[_1_] Wine 0 05-07-2007 08:28 PM
TN: 4th of July Wines and an OT Weinerfest DaleW Wine 3 06-07-2005 11:24 AM