Posted to alt.food.wine

Default Pre-Phylloxera vines in Midi-Pyrénées get Monument status

<http://www.wine-searcher.com/m/2012/06/monumental-achievement-for-vineyard>

Mark Lipton

Posted to alt.food.wine

"Mark Lipton" > wrote in message
> <http://www.wine-searcher.com/m/2012/06/monumental-achievement-for-vineyard>

A couple of years ago in Provence, I had a bottle of wine from a local,
pre-phylloxera vineyard. I lost my notes so can't remember the name but,
apparently, the vigneronne flooded the vineyard every 2 or 3 years to
prevent any infestation. At least, that's what the sommelier told us.
Graham

Posted to alt.food.wine

On Jun 20, 7:58*pm, "graham" > wrote:
> "Mark Lipton" > wrote in message
>
> ...> <http://www.wine-searcher.com/m/2012/06/monumental-achievement-for-vin...>
>
> A couple of years ago in Provence, I had a bottle of wine from a local,
> pre-phylloxera vineyard. I lost my notes so can't remember the name but,
> apparently, the vigneronne flooded the vineyard every 2 or 3 years to
> prevent any infestation. *At least, that's what the sommelier told us.
> Graham

Until shortly after WWII, the Romanee-Conti vineyard Pinot Noir vines
grew on their native roots without grafting. This required very
expensive treatments to keep the harmful insects in check. This was
beyond the means of most vineyard owners, but then Romanee-Conti sold
for enough to justify this. However during WWII it was not possible to
obtain needed materials to keep the insects in check. The old vines on
their own roots had to be removed and the vineyard had to be replanted
using Pinot Noir vines grafted to insect resistant root stock. There
was no Romanee-Conti for several years and then more time was required
for Romanee-Conti to be as good as it could be for the grafted vines.
Does using grafted vines lower the quality of the wine? This question
is very difficult to answer, since one must compare grafted vine wine
for vines that are fully mature with wines made from ungrafted vine
grapes which would be roughly pre-WWII. Also one must consider if
changing of cultivation methods and wine making methods may have
changed the quality of the wine also.

Phylloxera on concord grape vine... [email protected] Winemaking 9 12-11-2007 04:00 PM
Phylloxera UC Wine 39 14-09-2006 10:31 PM
phyLLoxera or phyLoxera? Leo Bueno Wine 9 17-08-2006 06:36 PM
Vegan Status Day 9 Dean S. Lautermilch Vegan 17 28-08-2005 10:15 PM
Current status of Phylloxera presence Michael Hopper Wine 1 05-03-2005 05:24 PM