FoodBanter.com

-   -   Lunch Notes (https://www.foodbanter.com/wine/418095-lunch-notes.html)

Bill S. 03-06-2012 06:25 PM

Lunch Notes

Lunch notes

2010 Quinta de Roques Encruzado – Portuguese white varietal that
showed a peachy citrus nose, was quite rich in the mouth, good
balance, although seemed to have slight RS, and was very pleasant.

2006 Bruno Colin Chassagne Montrachet ‘En Remilly’ – quite a rich nose
here with some melon and (again) some slight peach hints. Smooth and
silky, with lots of development. Seemed forward and ready.

2010 Foxtrot Chardonnay – from arguably BC’s best chard producer, a
wine with a similar colour to the previous Burgundy, nice new world
chardonnay nose, well made with some good stuffing but needing time.

2009 Jadot Beaune 150th Anniversary – this was presented as a chance
to get a look at a wine available for buying. It is the villages wine
and it showed medium colour, good pinot nose, a decent amount of
tannin and good balance. Should develop nicely.

2009 Le Clos Jordanne Pinot Noir Le Grand Clos (20 Mile Bench) – we
had visiting guests from Ontario and they brought one of the top
Niagara pinots for our enjoyment. Dark cherry and hints of smoke and
spice, with more raspberry in the mouth, finishing with tons of
acidity and soft tannins. Impressive showing.

1964 Castillo Ygay Rioja – sadly, corked!

1995 Santa Duc Gigondas Hautes Garrigues – I thought it was time to
take another look at one of my favourites and a wine that is often
hard to identify blind. It showed as quite dark, with very ripe warm
nose with raspberry and spice that had people looking in all sorts of
odd spots on the globe. Still a huge wine with significantly tannic
entry, a weighty middle and very good length, this one continues to
cruise along.

2003 Jaume Dom. Grand Veneur CNduP Les Origins – knock out southern
Rhone! Big fruit in this nose too, more blackberry than raspberry, and
some vanilla and garrigue notes, and in the mouth it showed excellent
concentration, but was forward and finished without any of the over
ripe notes often found in the vintage. Very good! Wish I had some!

2004 Leonetti Cabernet – a Washington state offering with a dark
ripish cabernet nose, with hints of dill and menthol, lots of soft
tannin and a bit out of focus now – more time needed?

2001 Nicholas Cole Claret – another Washington wine, this time from
the Walla Walla area. This one showed some nice plumy fruit and hints
of green (it is almost half cab franc, so that makes sense) that added
character, the nose a tad warm, and good midpalate fruit with e medium
long finish, this showed well.

1996 Ch. Reynella Basket Pressed Shiraz – dark, with a slightly sweet
nose of cassis and vanilla with hints of mint. Mellow and drinking
well now with not too much ripeness.