Posted to alt.food.wine

Default Boutique Wine Tours Hunter Valley

Anyone had experience with this outfit? There list of wineries
includes a few from the FAQ but a lot I know nothing about.
Posted to alt.food.wine

lleichtman wrote:
> Anyone had experience with this outfit? There list of wineries
> includes a few from the FAQ but a lot I know nothing about.

No experience, Larry, but if you list the wineries, I (and St. H. among
others) can give you some feedback. The Hunter isn't a very large place
and there aren't that many wineries there.

Mark Lipton
Posted to alt.food.wine

Tay does a good job. I have taken their tour. From clients feedback
you might look at Three fat Blokes in Pokolbin. or talk to a
professional :-)On Wed, 30 May 2012 22:50:43 -0400, Mark Lipton
> wrote:

>lleichtman wrote:
>> Anyone had experience with this outfit? There list of wineries
>> includes a few from the FAQ but a lot I know nothing about.

>No experience, Larry, but if you list the wineries, I (and St. H. among
>others) can give you some feedback. The Hunter isn't a very large place
>and there aren't that many wineries there.
>
>Mark Lipton

Joseph Coulter
J&B Journeys
www.josephcoulter.com

904 685 5317
Posted to alt.food.wine

On Wed, 30 May 2012 18:46:23 -0700 (PDT), lleichtman
> wrote:

>Anyone had experience with this outfit? There list of wineries
>includes a few from the FAQ but a lot I know nothing about.

Larry, really I do know the Hunter area (and NSW in general) If I
don't have an answer I know the people who do. As far as wine tours
since the only people who pay commission these days arethe big bus
tour guys, and I do not advocate for their use, I am not really giving
away the staoreas my wife puts it when giving advice on these
matters, so I do not rally have an agenda.

As Mark said the area isn't large, but I would still advise a guide if
for no other reason that it is someone to drive in a rural area with
poorly marked roads (If you do drive get a GPS)

Since you are looking at Ray Andrews Boutique Wine you must be staying
in Sydney. In that case it is a longish day. I would prefer myself to
spend some tme in the Hunter. There is a nice botanical garden there
and by getting out of the city you have a chance to encounter the
world famous wildlife of Australia first hand. I have seen parrot type
birds wild in Sydney but not so much the kangaroo and wallaby(unless
you count dthe excellent Taronga Zoo as "wild".
Joseph Coulter
J&B Journeys
www.jandbjourneys.com

904 685 5317
Posted to alt.food.wine

On Jun 1, 5:58*am, Joseph Coulter > wrote:
> On Wed, 30 May 2012 18:46:23 -0700 (PDT), lleichtman
>
> > wrote:
> >Anyone had experience with this outfit? There list of wineries
> >includes a few from the FAQ but a lot I know nothing about.

> Larry, really I do know the Hunter area (and NSW in general) If I
> don't have an answer I know the people who do. As far as wine tours
> since the only people who pay commission these days arethe big bus
> tour guys, and I do not advocate for their use, I am not really giving
> away the staoreas my wife puts it when giving advice *on these
> matters, so I do not rally have an agenda.
>
> As Mark said the area isn't large, but I would still advise a guide if
> for no other reason that it is someone to drive in a rural area with
> poorly marked roads (If you do drive get a GPS)
>
> Since you are looking at Ray Andrews Boutique Wine you must be staying
> in Sydney. In that case it is a longish day. I would prefer myself to
> spend some tme in the Hunter. There is a nice botanical garden there
> and by getting out of the city you have a chance to encounter the
> world famous wildlife of Australia first hand. I have seen parrot type
> birds wild in Sydney but not so much the kangaroo and wallaby(unless
> you count dthe excellent Taronga Zoo as "wild".
> Joseph Coulter
> J&B Journeyswww.jandbjourneys.com
>
> 904 685 5317

Two fat blokes looked great but, other than driving, I don't know how
to get to Hunter Valley.

Posted to alt.food.wine

On Fri, 1 Jun 2012 08:18:34 -0700 (PDT), lleichtman
> wrote:

>On Jun 1, 5:58*am, Joseph Coulter > wrote:
>> On Wed, 30 May 2012 18:46:23 -0700 (PDT), lleichtman
>>
>> > wrote:
>> >Anyone had experience with this outfit? There list of wineries
>> >includes a few from the FAQ but a lot I know nothing about.

>> Larry, really I do know the Hunter area (and NSW in general) If I
>> don't have an answer I know the people who do. As far as wine tours
>> since the only people who pay commission these days arethe big bus
>> tour guys, and I do not advocate for their use, I am not really giving
>> away the staoreas my wife puts it when giving advice *on these
>> matters, so I do not rally have an agenda.
>>
>> As Mark said the area isn't large, but I would still advise a guide if
>> for no other reason that it is someone to drive in a rural area with
>> poorly marked roads (If you do drive get a GPS)
>>
>> Since you are looking at Ray Andrews Boutique Wine you must be staying
>> in Sydney. In that case it is a longish day. I would prefer myself to
>> spend some tme in the Hunter. There is a nice botanical garden there
>> and by getting out of the city you have a chance to encounter the
>> world famous wildlife of Australia first hand. I have seen parrot type
>> birds wild in Sydney but not so much the kangaroo and wallaby(unless
>> you count dthe excellent Taronga Zoo as "wild".
>> Joseph Coulter
>> J&B Journeyswww.jandbjourneys.com
>>
>> 904 685 5317

>Two fat blokes looked great but, other than driving, I don't know how
>to get to Hunter Valley.

Two fat blokes not three, sorry miscounted in the early morning :-)

the driveing thing is why Ray is the answer for you. Boutique will
tailor the experience for you if you let them know. (esp if you are on
a private tour, but even if it is semi private the driver will see
what everyones expereience and knowledge level is which works well
most of the time . . . (You can take the tain to Maitland but it is a
long and expensive cab ride from there, might as well use the tour co.
or hire a car)
Posted to alt.food.wine

On Jun 1, 1:11*pm, Joseph Coulter > wrote:
> On Fri, 1 Jun 2012 08:18:34 -0700 (PDT), lleichtman
>

> > wrote:
> >On Jun 1, 5:58*am, Joseph Coulter > wrote:
> >> On Wed, 30 May 2012 18:46:23 -0700 (PDT), lleichtman

> >> Larry, really I do know the Hunter area (and NSW in general) If I
> >> don't have an answer I know the people who do. As far as wine tours
> >> since the only people who pay commission these days arethe big bus
> >> tour guys, and I do not advocate for their use, I am not really giving
> >> away the staoreas my wife puts it when giving advice *on these
> >> matters, so I do not rally have an agenda.

> >> As Mark said the area isn't large, but I would still advise a guide if
> >> for no other reason that it is someone to drive in a rural area with
> >> poorly marked roads (If you do drive get a GPS)

> >> Since you are looking at Ray Andrews Boutique Wine you must be staying
> >> in Sydney. In that case it is a longish day. I would prefer myself to
> >> spend some tme in the Hunter. There is a nice botanical garden there
> >> and by getting out of the city you have a chance to encounter the
> >> world famous wildlife of Australia first hand. I have seen parrot type
> >> birds wild in Sydney but not so much the kangaroo and wallaby(unless
> >> you count dthe excellent Taronga Zoo as "wild".
> >> Joseph Coulter
> >> J&B Journeyswww.jandbjourneys.com
> >>
> >> 904 685 5317

> >Two fat blokes looked great but, other than driving, I don't know how
> >to get to Hunter Valley.

> Two fat blokes not three, sorry miscounted in the early morning :-)
>
> the driveing thing is why Ray is the answer for you. Boutique will
> tailor the experience for you if you let them know. (esp if you are on
> a private tour, but even if it is *semi private the driver will see
> what everyones expereience and knowledge level is which works well
> most of the time . . . *(You can take the tain to Maitland but it is a
> long and expensive cab ride from there, might as well use the tour co.
> or hire a car)

So you have to take a cab from the train station to where they are
located? I was looking at the Newcastle train.
Posted to alt.food.wine

"Mark Lipton" wrote ..................

>> Anyone had experience with this outfit? There list of wineries
>> includes a few from the FAQ but a lot I know nothing about.

> No experience, Larry, but if you list the wineries, I (and St. H. among
> others) can give you some feedback. The Hunter isn't a very large place
> and there aren't that many wineries there.

It is a few years since I ventured north from Sydney into the Hunter Valley,
but it still remains a very comfortable two hours drive to the north of
Sydney and west of Newcastle.

Roads are excellent - as with all antipodean countries, driving is on the
correct side of the road :-), so if you are comfortable with this, I would
drive yourself.

The Hunter boasts around 140 cellar doors - so plan on visiting six or seven
max - many good dining establishments too.

Do you own research (plenty of material on-line) - despite their own blurb
as to the range of wines made in the region, aged Semillon is wonderful but
in its youth is acidic and green.

Shiraz and some CS is OK, but generally, this is a very hot region - whites
are bland and reds are plummy and cooked (IMVHO of course).

But, if I were a wine lover and in Sydney, and had one day to spare, I would
drive myself.

But then, I am the adventurous type.

st.helier

I am reminded, in 1970 I raced in a bicycle race from Muswellbrook in the
Northern Hunter to Tamworth in New England (approx 160km). As the peloton
sprinted for the finish line, I felt my jersey being pulled; I veered across
the road and struck out at the culprit, all while riding at about 60-65kph.
The net result is that I was the one disqualified. I later found out that
the perpetrator was a friend who was playing practical joke. (I would not
have won anyhow -I was not that good!)

Posted to alt.food.wine

"lleichtman" wrote ....

> So you have to take a cab from the train station to where they are

located? I was looking at the Newcastle train.

You could take train to Newcastle, then hire a car and drive yourself to
Cessnock / Pokolbin (about 90km)

I would not take a cab - not practicable - bloody expensive.

st.helier