Posted to alt.food.wine

Default TN: Roses and tannic Taurasi

Wednesday with chicken cacciatore, the 2001 Aminea “Baiardo” (Taurasi).. Dense, tough, tannic, tar and a little barnyard, needs time or a steak, but not so enjoyable at the moment. B-/C+

Friday mulligatawny stew from freezer with salad and 2011 Edmunds St John “Bone Jolly- Witters Vineyard” Gamay rose. A little rubbery note quickly blows off. Sweet red fruits, fuller style of rose, nice acidity to keep it lively. B+

Early Saturday I headed for CA, 3 wineless days ensued (our dinners were at a Mexican restaurant, a sushi place, and the Twin Cities airport where I had walleye, no lists looked promising so I was a water and tea guy). So I was happy to open a bottle Tuesday night, with the heat pink seemed appropriate. So, with grilled salmon, corn, and a broccoli/lettuce salad, the 2011 Arnot-Roberts rose. I was looking forward to trying this (having enjoyed Arnot-Robert reds), and still am- TCA rears it’s ugly head. Too bad, think something nice underneath.

Replacement is the 2011 Baudry Chinon rose. First taste of this, a perennial fave for me, nothing here to make me think that will change. Very pale salmon (as was the Arnot-Roberts), bright strawberry and orange zest flavors, plenty of mineral on finish, snappy acidity leads to happy Dale. ChambersStreetJoyJuice. B+/A-

Grade disclaimer: I'm a very easy grader, basically A is an excellent wine, B a good wine, C mediocre. Anything below C means I wouldn't drink at a party where it was only choice. Furthermore, I offer no promises of objectivity, accuracy, and certainly not of consistency.
Posted to alt.food.wine

On May 30, 10:50*am, DaleW > wrote:
> Wednesday with chicken cacciatore, the 2001 Aminea *“Baiardo” (Taurasi). Dense, tough, tannic, tar and a little barnyard, needs time or a steak, but not so enjoyable at the moment. B-/C+

I have not had Taurasi from the source you mention and have read
nothing about it. However the 2001 vintage of Taurasi has a very good
reputation in general. I still have a bottle of Mastroberardino's
Taurasi Reserva 1985. The last bottle I drank of it was mature, but
seemed likely to last many more years. It sounds as if your bottle of
wine is much too young. Of course you take some chance in keeping
Taurasi many years, for less than top examples can dry out
considerably before the harshness of the young wine is tamed.
Posted to alt.food.wine

DaleW wrote:

> Friday mulligatawny stew from freezer with salad and 2011 Edmunds St
> John “Bone Jolly- Witters Vineyard” Gamay rose. A little rubbery
> note quickly blows off. Sweet red fruits, fuller style of rose, nice
> acidity to keep it lively. B+

Whoa! The '11 is out already? I'm gonna have to get some of this.

> Replacement is the 2011 Baudry Chinon rose. First taste of this, a
> perennial fave for me, nothing here to make me think that will
> change. Very pale salmon (as was the Arnot-Roberts), bright
> strawberry and orange zest flavors, plenty of mineral on finish,
> snappy acidity leads to happy Dale. ChambersStreetJoyJuice. B+/A-

That's great to hear, Dale. I've still got a bottle of the '10 down in
the cellar but I also just bought some of the '11.

Mark Lipton

Least tannic red wines ribster22 Wine 6 24-05-2012 02:14 AM
tannic and acidic DaleW Wine 4 07-02-2011 10:32 PM
tannic and acidic DaleW Wine 1 07-02-2011 08:47 PM
tannic and acidic RichD Wine 1 05-02-2011 02:10 PM
Pinot Noir is too tannic MC Winemaking 4 13-05-2004 07:10 AM