Posted to alt.food.wine

Default [TN] 2010 Dashe L'Enfant Terrible

Yesterday, with temperatures in excess of 90° F here (good thing it's
not yet summer!) we decided to BBQ some ribs for dinner. With the ribs,
sautéed kale and rolls, Jean wanted a Zinfandel. I decided to throw a
curve ball and opened:

2010 Dashe Cellars Zinfandel "L'Enfant Terrible" McFadden Farm
nose: initially, somewhat reductive, red fruit, graphite, pepper
palate: juicy, medium body, decent acidity

This is one of the few instances where my own perception of the wine and
Jean's were at odds. After tasting this, she declared that she didn't
care for the wine at all, so I switched her to an opened bottle of
Syrah. When pressed, she decided that it was an offputting element to
the nose (perhaps her greater sensitivity to reductive smells?) so we'll
see if the half bottle I retained improves any after a day or two. For
my own part, I didn't find it as compelling a wine as the '09 but still
a very worthwhile Zinfandel.

Back story: this cuvée is Mike Dashe's attempt to rein in the excessive
alcohol and extraction of Zifandel. He picks less ripe fruit, does a
wild yeast ferment and treats it with minimal SO2. The result is
certainly outside of the norm for Zinfandel.

Mark Lipton
Posted to alt.food.wine

Default 2010 Dashe L'Enfant Terrible

On May 21, 6:14*am, Mark Lipton > wrote:
> Yesterday, with temperatures in excess of 90° F here (good thing it's
> not yet summer!) we decided to BBQ some ribs for dinner. *With the ribs,
> sautéed kale and rolls, Jean wanted a Zinfandel. *I decided to throw a
> curve ball and opened:
>
> 2010 Dashe Cellars Zinfandel "L'Enfant Terrible" McFadden Farm
> nose: initially, somewhat reductive, red fruit, graphite, pepper
> palate: juicy, medium body, decent acidity
>
> This is one of the few instances where my own perception of the wine and
> Jean's were at odds. *After tasting this, she declared that she didn't
> care for the wine at all, so I switched her to an opened bottle of
> Syrah. *When pressed, she decided that it was an offputting element to
> the nose (perhaps her greater sensitivity to reductive smells?) so we'll
> see if the half bottle I retained improves any after a day or two. *For
> my own part, I didn't find it as compelling a wine as the '09 but still
> a very worthwhile Zinfandel.
>
> Back story: this cuvée is Mike Dashe's attempt to rein in the excessive
> alcohol and extraction of Zifandel. *He picks less ripe fruit, does a
> wild yeast ferment and treats it with minimal SO2. *The result is
> certainly outside of the norm for Zinfandel.
>
> Mark Lipton

I really like this wine and it is one of my go to Zins.

TN: Mothers Day weekend, with LdH,Dashe, Burlotto, and more DaleW Wine 0 12-05-2014 09:04 PM
2010 Vega Sicilia Unico Reserva Especial 2010 Bi!! Wine 0 26-11-2012 05:49 PM
TN: 07 Dashe DaleW Wine 5 08-09-2009 07:28 PM
[TN] '07 Dashe Zinfandel "L'Enfant Terrible" Mark Lipton[_1_] Wine 3 07-12-2008 04:33 PM
TN: weekend wines (St Urbans Hof, Dashe, Gagnard, more) Dale Williams Wine 4 29-06-2004 10:45 PM